• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
yeah Sri Lanka will have to find someone to bowl economically, even if not as dangerous as Murali, to give Mendis leeway to take risks. Is there anyone around at the moment who could do such a job?
As much I hate to admitt Maharoof fits that role the best. He may never get his Test average below 50, but he has the ability to keep it tight in a simialr way to what Wickie and Zoysa (at his peck) did for us.

Though I rather go with this type of combination:
- Malinga, Karunanayake, Mendis and Senanayake

Four attack minded bowlers and two that are more then handy with the bat in Karunanayake and Senanayake. Karunanayake and Malinga both bowl at decent pace, Karunanayake just below 140 ATM, but is only 21 so has the ability to increase his pace. Senanayake has a similarly impressive domestic record averaging in the mid teens.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What about Bandara? He looked quite decent in the ODI's in Australia a few years ago.
Forgot about Malinga Bandara, what happened to him?
TBH he probably isn't even the number one spinner at his club side and its his batting that has been keeping his spot in the 1st XI. He has to learn how to bowl again in matches before he gets even considered for NT side.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think that if Murali sticks around for two years, M&M has the potential to be the best spinning duo in the history of cricket.

There, I said it.
I think it's more dependent on whether Mendis will continue with the same effect. Murali will probably stay a few years and he has passed his tests. Mendis will have to deal with teams having plans against him and learning more about the way he bowls to offset his effect.

However, if it does continue like this, you get a glimpse of what two quality spinners in the same side can do. Amazing stuff.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sachithra Senanayake of SSC is an up coming offie. very wristy in the bowling action, and bowlsa mixture of offies and arm balls, and has the attitude of a nasty fast bowler. If he develops well, will be great foil for Mendis. I think Senanayake will overtake Mendis, because Senanayke has no mystery with him, only skill, so there is nothing to be solved.
Yeah kid really looks like he has something special about him. Was also the guy that kept Mendis out of youth squads as well. Mendis has jumped ahead, but reckon he does have the abilty to catch up. His batting also makes him a handy option.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
When do Australia tour Lanka next? That'd be awesome if Murali is still around.
Indeed. I think the best Test in the world is Australia in Sri Lanka...and you know what, with bowling like this, it will be amazing.

ret

International Debutant
another batting failure, another thumping loss .... this time SL cashes up, weldone SL

Dhoni was being missed straight away .... bowling was mediocre and batting, Ind's strength, pathetic

Jakester1288

International Regular
Talk about hammered! I mean, Sri Lanka posts 6/600, with four century makers, and then Muralidaran and Mendis bowl them out for 223 and 138. Mendis will be a big part of the test team for years to come, and Sri Lanka have there own ready made replacement for Murali. Now they just need to keep him in and around the test side so he knows what hes doing when he takes over the role of number one spinner. Then he will be much more calm about replaceing the best spinner in the world, and Sri Lanka will be much more comfortable about Murali retiring.

And with Sri Lankas batting line up gunning it like they did this match, Sri Lankan Test Cricket seems to be looking good for a while yet.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Its hard to believe but I think its fair to say that Mendis has surpassed his expectations quite comfortably. Can't be much better than 8 wickets on debut let alone against India. Already can't wait to see how he'll do against Australia.

And of course Murali bowled fantastically. This is now his 21st 10 for which is just incredible to say the least.

Dissector

International Debutant
Absolutely. 21 5-fors would be a great achievement for any bowler. 21 10-fors is absolutely out of this world. As for Mendis he has certainly justified the hype and passed his first few tests in international cricket. There will be more hurdles later and we don't know for sure if he will become a great but I don't know if there has ever been a bowler who has looked more likely to become an all-time great after his first test including those like Hirwani who took many more wickets. If you consider his FC record, his ODI performances, this test performance on a flat track against India, his ability to combine variety with accuracy, he is certainly the most exciting young cricketer in the world today.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think that if Murali sticks around for two years, M&M has the potential to be the best spinning duo in the history of cricket.

There, I said it.
I shall go one step further and say not only the best duo, they have the potential to constitute the best spinning attack in the history of cricket if it happens...I would love when the English or West Indian batting faces the combination of M & M...The world will witness the sheer destruction the highest quality spin bowling is capable of....Hope you and Richard will also be watching :) ... On a more serious note, I am more eager to see Indian batsmen fight back in the next test...Watching them play for years, I'm sure they'll bounce back after this demolition...But it won't be easy against these two...Great prospect at hand, test cricket at its best...

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Completely blown away but I'll be surprised if Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman don't come back strong. The next test may just be a cracker.

Oh, and welcome back, Parthiv ...