• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Karthik is having a terrible day behind the stumps. That's two catches dropped off Kumble and there may have been another chance off Sehwag down the leg-side. I have been arguing for him to replace Dhoni in tests but not if he is going to keep like this. These misses are especially costly on a docile pitch with wickets and chances coming few and far between.
AWTA. This is truly unacceptable from Karthik and really cannot do his long term international prospects any favours.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Karthik is having a terrible day behind the stumps. That's two catches dropped off Kumble and there may have been another chance off Sehwag down the leg-side. I have been arguing for him to replace Dhoni in tests but not if he is going to keep like this. These misses are especially costly on a docile pitch with wickets and chances coming few and far between.
He's kept worse than Parthiv did even at his lowest. Not a good sign for a guy who's strongest suite is meant to be his glovework and even now they seriously must be considering giving Patel a go next match.

Dissector

International Debutant
Last I checked Sharjah isn't in the sub-continent.:p

Ishant is bowling pretty well with the new ball. If Karthik had taken those catches , we could have really made the new ball count and gotten into the tail.

Dissector

International Debutant
Missed the Dilshan overturn. Can anyone describe it? Anyway a little piece of cricket history was made.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Missed the Dilshan overturn. Can anyone describe it? Anyway a little piece of cricket history was made.
The argument was whether he hit the ball, hit the ground or both. Mysteriously, with no proof whatsoever, the decision was overturned. Snicko, after the decision, showed that he had in fact hit the ball.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Not sure about that one. If he did nick it why did he bother appealing?

If he knew he nicked it, and he appealed, that has to come under some scrunity surely by ICC as cheating.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure about that one. If he did nick it why did he bother appealing?

If he knew he nicked it, and he appealed, that has to come under some scrunity surely by ICC as cheating.
I thought that too, but the noise on snicko came with the bat nowhere near the ground. I think the system should be modified so that a batsman gets no unsuccessful reviews, to avoid simply referring a close decision, knowing it will be given in their favour.

Migara

International Coach
I thought that too, but the noise on snicko came with the bat nowhere near the ground. I think the system should be modified so that a batsman gets no unsuccessful reviews, to avoid simply referring a close decision, knowing it will be given in their favour.
So, without any replays, Dilshan knew it was close? ROFL. My opinion is also he DID hit it. He might have not felt it because he was simultaneously hitting the ground. Batsman will NEVER ask for reviews whether there's a kick or not, if they KNOW that they have hit it.

masterblaster

International Captain
Damn we got demolished today and it seems we lacked energy and spark. Karthik was dreadful behind the stumps and this after so much was expected of him.

Great going by Sri Lanka though, Mahela is absolute class and Warnapurna seems like he has a bright future at the top of the order.

I still struggle to see why Harbhajan still gets picked. Dreadful disciplinary record for India, a clear antagonist and not even amongst the best spinners in India. Why continue with a guy who's bowling average keeps rising with every passing season when you have someone like Pragyan Ojha to try out.

To be honest, I've never been a Harbhajan fan so I'm probably going a bit against him but clearly Ojha needs to be given an opportunity soon.

Migara

International Coach
Damn we got demolished today and it seems we lacked energy and spark. Karthik was dreadful behind the stumps and this after so much was expected of him.

Great going by Sri Lanka though, Mahela is absolute class and Warnapurna seems like he has a bright future at the top of the order.

I still struggle to see why Harbhajan still gets picked. Dreadful disciplinary record for India, a clear antagonist and not even amongst the best spinners in India. Why continue with a guy who's bowling average keeps rising with every passing season when you have someone like Pragyan Ojha to try out.

To be honest, I've never been a Harbhajan fan so I'm probably going a bit against him but clearly Ojha needs to be given an opportunity soon.
I don't think Ojha or Chawla will make much of an impact on SL batting, because they lack the spin as Harbhajan. Amit Mishra might have been very useful, because he gives it a good rip. If we recall who were the best spinners in SL, all of them spun the ball big.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I tried to listen to the post-match commentary, but the rain was so loud on the roof outside, so I couldn't hear anything from the feeble set-top-box sound. Here's what I had seen-

The bowling has been quite good, especially when you've got your best four bowlers and no more. They still don't have the X-factor that's needed on a pitch that offers absolutely nothing for the bowlers, so we wonder, is there much to complain about.

There is, however, a lot to complain about the fielding support. First there are problems with Karthik's wicketkeeping, then Laxman's accuracy and sharpness at slips was found wanting, then Gambhir spilling one at short-leg, then Ganguly's overdone attempt at a slide gave away an extra run, then Ishant's attempt at a dive parried the ball to the boundary. You can't win matches with fielding like this!

Then there's that no-ball. Zaheer caught one off his own bowling, but it was a no-ball! Zaheer bowled ten no-balls. Inexcusable from your best bowler.

We also heard the stereotypical Indian commentator cowards. They said that it will be very difficult when the Indians bat on day five. Hang on, day five? Besides, this batting lineup has Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, Dravid and Sehwag, and even Gambhir isn't too far behind, and hopefully Karthik will also get a big one. If anything, the Lankans may be batting on day five.

Are the Indians again missing a fifth bowler? Will it cost them? Possibly. Looking at the skewed figures, with all four main bowlers bowling over 25 overs each, and Ganguly bowling just seven, we wonder- is an injury to a main bowler on the cards? They're not superhuman, to keep on bowling on flat pitches with fielding falling flat all the time. The batsmen should do more than this!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
As for Pragyan Ojha, we don't know what he can do that Harbhajan can't do. Let's not forget, Harbhajan has over 275 Test wickets, with loads of five-wicket hauls, and a lot of experience. Ojha has a lot to do to come even remotely close to him. He's young, still learning, and bowling to Sangakkara and Mahela on this nightmare of a pitch and hopelessly incompetent fielding isn't going to do him any good- some bowlers who made their debut on flat pitches and struggled to get a wicket, never came back. You need your top four bowlers (if you play one less) in this match.

Migara

International Coach
We also heard the stereotypical Indian commentator cowards. They said that it will be very difficult when the Indians bat on day five. Hang on, day five? Besides, this batting lineup has Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, Dravid and Sehwag, and even Gambhir isn't too far behind, and hopefully Karthik will also get a big one. If anything, the Lankans may be batting on day five.
One small problem. It has never happened in Sri Lanka. It could happen in India, not here. Once more if SL are batting on the 5th day, it will be a draw.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
One small problem. It has never happened in Sri Lanka. It could happen in India, not here. Once more if SL are batting on the 5th day, it will be a draw.
Exactly. The Indians may end up batting just once, with the Lankans getting day five, or part of it.