• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Zaheer is really over doing the short ball to Mally, he should just stick to peppering the good line and fullish length. Ishant has been impressive, but I really think that he'll truly come into his own against right handers.
Agreed - what the hell is up with the short balls?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
We should have picked a third seamer.
Agreed. I think VRV could have been invaluable on this track, judging from watching him in the Duleep Trophy final and how he gets wickets by simply peppering a consistently threatening line. This pitch does have the odd piece of uneven bounce in it and as Ishant's wicket showed, it seams a tad too.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nice stuff from Warnapura. Just got something working. India not picking a third seamer with the weather forecast like it is? Well, doesn't look smart at this moment.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Why shouldn't India's best bowler bowl a single over out of twenty two ? Would it have been the same if someone else was leading the side ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why shouldn't India's best bowler bowl a single over out of twenty two ? Would it have been the same if someone else was leading the side ?
While its true that he is India's best bowler overall, I don't think it's necessarily true for the first innings with a 16 over-old ball. It probably wouldn't be the same if someone else were leading, but I don't think its a bad decision.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Have there been any referrals yet?
There was one LBW shout on Sangakarra that was not given and I thought Kumble might try out the appeal system there, but I guess he wanted to save it.

I probably would have given it a go there, it looked out in real time to me. Three per innings is a lot of chances, and you should definitely take advantage of it when players as good as Sangakarra are at the crease - though obviously it didn't hurt India much this time.

Migara

International Coach
Crap selection once more. I cannot see how Kulasekara is going to challenge Indian batting line up. He bowls straight and will be miserly, but I would have prefered Dammika Prasad who can get up to early 90s on this pitch. Especially against Sehwag, Gambhir and Ganguly, who doesn't appriciate quick stuff flying near their noses.

Not picking Silva is also a big mistake. He's the only player in that squad can tare apart Kumble and Harbhajan. He's SL's best attacking spin player. While Samaraweera plays spinners defensively (and very well at that), having Silva would have been hell of a middle order against spinners.

Great ball to get Sanga. Warnapura looking good. Let's see whether Mahela gives him a chance with the ball. He can bowl both medium fast and off break.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You could be right of course. To me it looked out first try - I wasn't so sure on replay. It was probably worth a try, I think.
You're right, was a borderline call. As Dale Steyn has recently remarked though, umpires don't seem to acknowledge the existance of the leg stump when considering LBW appeals.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Crap selection once more. I cannot see how Kulasekara is going to challenge Indian batting line up. He bowls straight and will be miserly, but I would have prefered Dammika Prasad who can get up to early 90s on this pitch.
Early 90s?! Are you sure?

Migara

International Coach
Early 90s?! Are you sure?
Yeah, he's seriously quick. 2 years back in UAE he was clocked at 144k against India A. He has grown quicker during these two years. but he lacks that movement off the pitch or through the air as Lasith Malinga of Prabath Nissanka (was on par with Prasad before his knee inury) used to have. And he's not terribly accurate as well. But when you have 3 extremely accurate bowlers in your side, you can afford that wild fellow in your bowling line up.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disagree. Lee was a definite weak link back when he was crap. The moral of the story being, a team generally can't afford to carry you if you're crap. Not saying Prasad is crap, but just that he needs more than pace and aggression to be a success, and the Sri Lankan attack is not strong enough to accommodate him if he doesn't have those additional weapons.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. Lee was a definite weak link back when he was crap. The moral of the story being, a team generally can't afford to carry you if you're crap. Not saying Prasad is crap, but just that he needs more than pace and aggression to be a success, and the Sri Lankan attack is not strong enough to accommodate him if he doesn't have those additional weapons.
Got more weapons then Nuwan "My uncle's friends with Ranatunga" Kulasekara, tbf.

ret

International Debutant
unless this track is spinner friendly, i see little value in playing 2 pacers + 2 spinners combination .... if you are playing 4 bowlers, the ideal thing is the 3+1 format .... 2+2, if you have a bowling-allrounder in the team too .... but as I said, if this is a spin friendly track then 2+2 makes sense, and guys like Sehwag can also roll their arms over as spin options