• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

Migara

International Coach
vaas is useless now,mendis just has one good odi match and he is great-no
they have a weak attack and murali has to do the job
May be can bottle up an end with the ball, but very very good with the bat recently, averaging around 45. That's why SL test teams future lies with a 5 man attack. Vaas / Malinga / Maharoof / Mendis / Murali. If Maharoof can get his average up to mid 20s, with Vaas, they'll be quite formidable.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
May be can bottle up an end with the ball, but very very good with the bat recently, averaging around 45. That's why SL test teams future lies with a 5 man attack. Vaas / Malinga / Maharoof / Mendis / Murali. If Maharoof can get his average up to mid 20s, with Vaas, they'll be quite formidable.
Vaas can not possibly be in their plans for the future. If he loses any more pace the ball won't reach the other end most of the time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cricket_God said:
mendis just has one good odi match and he is great-no
No, Mendis has several good ODI matches, a First Class bowling record to die for and is a huge threat.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vaas can not possibly be in their plans for the future. If he loses any more pace the ball won't reach the other end most of the time.
He still has a role to play with the ball though, and as Migara said, his batting has really improved lately. At this stage I would have more faith in Vaas as a Test batsman than Silva, Tharanga, Kapu or Udawatte.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
AWTA, i hate when people say he's only had one good ODI just because that's the only time they've seen him play.
Indeed. Quite a few people here, including myself, were talking about Mendis's prospects before he even made his ODI debut. His rating isn't based on that one game at all.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting that Laxmi Ratan Shukla has stated that he could pick him, after a few balls in the nets. I think there is a possibility, albeit about a 1 in 10 chance, that he could fizzle into a merely 'good' spinner after the novelty wares off.

Uppercut

He still has a role to play with the ball though, and as Migara said, his batting has really improved lately. At this stage I would have more faith in Vaas as a Test batsman than Silva, Tharanga, Kapu or Udawatte.
I rate Vaas highly, i think he's still an excellent bowler. But he can't seriously be part of Sri Lanka's long-term plans.

adharcric

International Coach
Interesting that Laxmi Ratan Shukla has stated that he could pick him, after a few balls in the nets. I think there is a possibility, albeit about a 1 in 10 chance, that he could fizzle into a merely 'good' spinner after the novelty wares off.
3 in 10 for mine. Mendis may turn out to be really great but he hasn't done anything yet against test-class batsmen with good technique who don't need to go for their shots. As of now, all the hype is based on his FC record, the strong start to his ODI career and the impressive variations he has exhibited thus far. Fair enough, he can be called a threat based upon that but I've heard people say he's already a bigger threat than Murali - that is complete BS and he's being overrated by many early in his international career. Let's see how he fares.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
3 in 10 for mine. Mendis may prove me wrong but he hasn't done anything yet against test-class batsmen with good technique who don't need to go for their shots. As of now, all the hype is based on his FC record, the start to his ODI career and the ridiculous variation he has shown thus far. Fair enough, he can be called a threat based upon that but I've heard people say he's already a bigger threat than Murali - that is complete BS and he's being overrated by many early in his international career. Let's see how he fares.
Agree with all of that. Sums it all well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I rate Vaas highly, i think he's still an excellent bowler. But he can't seriously be part of Sri Lanka's long-term plans.
Regardless of whether he's part of their long-term plans, he should be (and is) part of their plans for this Test series.

I think I read an article that suggested he'd retire at the end of the year, which is probably a good time for him.

Uppercut

Regardless of whether he's part of their long-term plans, he should be (and is) part of their plans for this Test series.

I think I read an article that suggested he'd retire at the end of the year, which is probably a good time for him.
Ye it was a response to

"that's why SL test teams future lies with a 5 man attack. Vaas / Malinga / Maharoof / Mendis / Murali."

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think it's much more likely that Shukla rates himself very highly.

That said, mystery spinners tend to fizzle out as a general rule.

Top_Cat

3 in 10 for mine. Mendis may turn out to be really great but he hasn't done anything yet against test-class batsmen with good technique who don't need to go for their shots. As of now, all the hype is based on his FC record, the strong start to his ODI career and the impressive variations he has exhibited thus far. Fair enough, he can be called a threat based upon that but I've heard people say he's already a bigger threat than Murali - that is complete BS and he's being overrated by many early in his international career. Let's see how he fares.
Yeah he's been hyped (and I must admit I've not seen anyone rate him a bigger threat than Murali) but taking a cheap 6-fer in a ODI against India shouldn't be ignored either. He has all the tricks, let's see how well he goes in using them.

Wild unsupportable guess; I reckon he's got the goods.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
No, Mendis has several good ODI matches, a First Class bowling record to die for and is a huge threat.
If it was other teams he might have had a chance,but indians have destroyed many a
spinners and the fact is he does not turn the ball.

about that odi-i think people are forgetting the fact under lights the ball
skidded and most batsman were beaten due to pace of the pitch,
not due to his variations.in day ,matches the ball is not going to skid
so he is no threat in my opinion

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ah ! Thank God for common sense. I was gasping for breath, really Thanks mate.

If all he has is this so called mystery ball to commend him, he wont last three seasons in international cricket. The mysteries don't last. They are always unearthed and if there isn't much to replace them the mysterious one's don't last either.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Anyone care about the Indian bowlers vs SL batsmen?

Not on this thread, I suppose. Though I am looking forward to Zaheer & Ishant (for the first time?) opening bowling for India. Then anything good for Mendis is good for Kumble too, and finally hoping that Harbhajan's dodgy doosra is worth something.

adharcric

International Coach
If it was other teams he might have had a chance,but indians have destroyed many a
spinners and the fact is he does not turn the ball.

about that odi-i think people are forgetting the fact under lights the ball
skidded and most batsman were beaten due to pace of the pitch,
not due to his variations.in day ,matches the ball is not going to skid
so he is no threat in my opinion
Look, he can't be called a world-beater just yet but don't pretend like he's complete rubbish. You simply can't ignore that FC record and the skills he's shown over the span of the first several one-day matches of his international career. You've made two valid points here but they really don't lead to the conclusion that he won't pose any threat at all. Just wait and watch.

Last edited: