• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
You can understand why SA decided to bowl first. The weather for weeks has been really crap so they probably thought they'd be alot of moisture in the pitch which would do a lot. Also its going to be a day of showers so the batsmen will be off and on all day which makes it harder for batsmen to settle down and having to keep 'getting in' over and over again.
Given that SA also believe England have a dodgey middle order they probably felt a few early wickets and they could really get us in trouble in bowler friendly conditions.

Not thats not the case (so far) England could easily collapse after lunch still, and then we'd all be saying what a good decision it was :) But it was hardly a shocking decision to bowl first considering. But if England can make it to Tea with only 2 down or less we'll be in a great position in this Test.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You can understand why SA decided to bowl first. The weather for weeks has been really crap so they probably thought they'd be alot of moisture in the pitch which would do a lot. Also its going to be a day of showers so the batsmen will be off and on all day which makes it harder for batsmen to settle down and having to keep 'getting in' over and over again.
Given that SA also believe England have a dodgey middle order they probably felt a few early wickets and they could really get us in trouble in bowler friendly conditions.
Hard for the ball to swing too much in those conditions unless it is really hot.

There may be arguments for bowling. I dont doubt it. However, they are seldom as good as those to bat.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, good session for England.

Im not going to say much about players etc as Ive said a lot about most over the last while and I dont want to jinx my bold and brave prediction :)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook for President

and Strauss....well he can just stay and play cricket...

not to jinx it of course

I mean if Cook fails then he has more reason to go for a presidency spot...

P Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

--------------------------------------------------

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't it only one test ago when we lost a shedload of wickets immediately after lunch on Day 1 after a decent first session? A good start, which is way better than I expected 2 and a half hours ago, but we all know about England's batting.

I wouldn't be too despondent if I was supporting SA. Morkel has caused some genuine discomfort to both openers despite it being a sluggish pitch, and you can see him being a real handful as the series progresses. And we all know what Steyn is capable of, even if he hasn't got it right this morning.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I always look forwards to SA vs Eng above perhaps all else. Only Eng vs Aus is in the same league.

Mind, SA vs Aus is pretty close too.
Eng v SA is my most sought after cricketing event.. Bigger than the world cup, the ashes, SA v Aus.. It's probably the only set of games that I'll religiously watch every ball of..

First morning - simple though.. Too short, too wide.. Not too worried though, first morning at Lords, need a couple of wickets to settle the nerves though

Laurrz

International Debutant
Wasn't it only one test ago when we lost a shedload of wickets immediately after lunch on Day 1 after a decent first session? A good start, which is way better than I expected 2 and a half hours ago, but we all know about England's batting.

I wouldn't be too despondent if I was supporting SA. Morkel has caused some genuine discomfort to both openers despite it being a sluggish pitch, and you can see him being a real handful as the series progresses. And we all know what Steyn is capable of, even if he hasn't got it right this morning.
I think once the scoreboard reaches 100.. if England are 0 down.. that will test South Africa a lot.. bowlers and captain

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, not at all. 2-3 quick wickets and they are laughing.

As for Steyn, I dont want to say much on the issue. But his recent record doesnt reflect him as a bowler. He has been in a purple patch but that doesnt make him Malcolm Marshall just yet. His record isnt sustainable. I cant tell when it will slow down (this series, the next, the one after?) but it will.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
As for Steyn, I dont want to say much on the issue. But his recent record doesnt reflect him as a bowler. He has been in a purple patch but that doesnt make him Malcolm Marshall just yet. His record isnt sustainable. I cant tell when it will slow down (this series, the next, the one after?) but it will.
Indeed. No one with such deficiencies against left handed batsmen should ever have a strike rate of under 36 in Tests. 90.6mph from Steyn, as a type that, his quickest ball of the game so far.

EDIT: Speaking of Marshall, I just read that Ntini modelled his action on him, ITSTL.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why is it outdated? There may be reasons why it was more relevant but there is a weight of evidence to suggest it still holds true.

Basically batting allows you to dictate the game. There are countless other reasons that I guess Ill get dragged into if you go into why bowling first often is a good idea.
Fielding first also allows you to dictate the game. Put simply, there are times when fielding first is a good idea; there are times when batting first is a good idea. There probably are still more occasions where batting is the better idea than fielding, but the maxim of "bat first all the time" IS outdated, archaic indeed.

There is always a disproportionate amount of criticism aimed at those who unsuccesssfully fielded first. Those who bat first and crash and burn barely get more than a "oh that wasn't so good an idea was it?" Similarly those who bat first in difficult conditions and succeed usually get lauded and those who field first successfully (and there's plenty of such a thing) barely get a word their way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eng v SA is my most sought after cricketing event.. Bigger than the world cup, the ashes, SA v Aus.. It's probably the only set of games that I'll religiously watch every ball of..

First morning - simple though.. Too short, too wide.. Not too worried though, first morning at Lords, need a couple of wickets to settle the nerves though
Cook must have edged at least 3 in the gap. Despite the low bounce, they'd all have carried had they happened to go to a fielder.

But that's a half-century for him, and he's had some good strokes in there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah sounds one of the better new commentators of recent times TBH.

Five no-balls... how unusual.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I am very interested in this series. I am looking forward to seeing how Strauss, Cook and Bell play as well as Steyn with the ball.

Cook is 55 atm, and England are 0/98.