• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Would anyone disagree with the fact that when it comes to ODI tournments it is basically World Cup > blackhole > any tournment.

Really any OD tournment outside the World Cup has no true meaning, just another random tournment. Asia Cup has some meaning and has the real potential to mean a lot more. But due to countless number of ODIs between Asian sides it doesn't mean as much as should. Still there is some romance assoicated to winning the Asian Cup, for mine. More then any other tournment outside the World Cup.

It pretty clear that people get caught up in the hype of certain tournments. The CB series hasn't meant anything for a long time. It just got a lot of hype surrounding it as Australia play in it and it is in Australia. Australia's No 1 status has kept that hype surrounding it. But the fact that last season's edition was last, says a fair bit more mine on its overall standing these days. It clearly just become another meanlingless ODI tournment. Regardless of how much you want to dress it up. The CT isn't any better, regardless of how much the ICC want to dress that up.

It is poor sign where ODIs and cricket is going in general, when the importance of tournment is based on how many people watch it (both at ground and on TV), how much media attention the games have got. Not the overall importance of tournment or even the quality.

There is no doubt that this thought procress was one of main reasons why Dhoni got rested. This 2-Test series away from India will gain next to next no attention in the media or through TV views in India. So therefore the series isn't important in comparsion to future tournments or series.
I am amazed how much the Champion;s Trophy is run down. I wonder if it is because less than fancied teams have won/come close to winning it ? Or is it because of its frequency ?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is poor sign where ODIs and cricket is going in general, when the importance of tournment is based on how many people watch it (both at ground and on TV), how much media attention the games have got. Not the overall importance of tournment or even the quality.
Sorry, but what barometer do you propose we use for measuring tournament importance?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dunno why but I am rather excited about this test series. We will finally get to see how good Gambhir and Karthik are at international level, coz in all probability and form and fitness permitting, they should play in all 3 tests.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dunno why but I am rather excited about this test series. We will finally get to see how good Gambhir and Karthik are at international level, coz in all probability and form and fitness permitting, they should play in all 3 tests.
We finally get some Tests, has been a long time since we had a proper one and the South Africa series was lost under the shadow of the looming IPL.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That's not correct. Everything is dependent on quality. If the tournament offered any quality, more and more people would have watched it.

ret

International Debutant
Would anyone disagree with the fact that when it comes to ODI tournments it is basically World Cup > blackhole > any tournment.

Really any OD tournment outside the World Cup has no true meaning, just another random tournment. Asia Cup has some meaning and has the real potential to mean a lot more. But due to countless number of ODIs between Asian sides it doesn't mean as much as should. Still there is some romance assoicated to winning the Asian Cup, for mine. More then any other tournment outside the World Cup.

It pretty clear that people get caught up in the hype of certain tournments. The CB series hasn't meant anything for a long time. It just got a lot of hype surrounding it as Australia play in it and it is in Australia. Australia's No 1 status has kept that hype surrounding it. But the fact that last season's edition was last, says a fair bit more mine on its overall standing these days. It clearly just become another meanlingless ODI tournment. Regardless of how much you want to dress it up. The CT isn't any better, regardless of how much the ICC want to dress that up.

There is no doubt that this thought procress was one of main reasons why Dhoni got rested. This 2-Test series away from India will gain next to next no attention in the media or through TV views in India. So therefore the series isn't important in comparsion to future tournments or series.
good post .... i can see how you have formed your opinion

though I don't agree with Asia Cup > CT as CT involves all test playing nations, has been played in different continents and conditions

jeevan

International 12th Man
Maybe just me, but I thought the latest edition of CT was more interesting than the latest edition of the WC.

funnygirl

State Regular
That was really sad from Dhoni .After playing IPL and Odi tournaments ,he wants rest from a test series . Not a good sign at all .

irfan

State Captain
Swap Dravid and Laxman and I'd be happy with that team. Not impressed with Bhajji being recalled so abruptly, especially as he's done very little of note recently apart from making a mong out of himself but realistically Ojha is only there in case of an emergency so can't expect him to play.

Groaned a bit when they announced Rohit over Badri, but not surprised in any way.
AWTA. Absolutely disgusting. Like Dhoni, I am also getting tired of Indian cricket.

Boycotting this series on selectorial grounds

Probably still check the score on Cricinfo and watch highlights of Mendis:ph34r:

adharcric

International Coach
AWTA. Absolutely disgusting. Like Dhoni, I am also getting tired of Indian cricket.

Boycotting this series on selectorial grounds

Probably still check the score on Cricinfo and watch highlights of Mendis:ph34r:
You'll follow all three tests closely and you know it.

adharcric

International Coach
Sharma over Badrinath is a poor move but it's not so bad for the latter - he gets to lead India A down in Australia and a strong showing there will almost certainly get him across the line for a call-up. Regarding Dhoni, are people criticizing him or the BCCI for this situation? Dhoni really hasn't done much wrong at all - yeah, he should've missed one of the lesser Asia Cup matches but you can't expect him to skip the entire series as the captain and eminent figure of such a young side. Test cricket requires a far greater level of fitness and I'm glad he made a strong decision. Besides, India has good back-up in Karthik and Parthiv.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, but what barometer do you propose we use for measuring tournament importance?
The quality of cricket or what is actually on the table to win (i.e the history surrounding the series).

If you base the importance on who actually watch this Test series. Then most ODI series/tournments would have more importance then most Test series. This Test series for example is unlikely to get large number of viewers in Sri Lanka and in general around the world. But does that make it less important then say a ODI series involving these two countries which will have greater number of viewers at the ground and on TV.

The way things are going it all about how many people watch the matches not the quality. The fact that not playing Dhoni might play a role doesn't really matter to BCCI. As it wont make a difference to viewership or the number of fans that turn out to next ODI series.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I am amazed how much the Champion;s Trophy is run down. I wonder if it is because less than fancied teams have won/come close to winning it ? Or is it because of its frequency ?
Frequency and redudancy really. The last tournment was actually really good in terms of quality. But it just becoming another random ODI tournment. Sometimes the best things are served in small portions. But it also pretty redundant as it has no real meaning. If you win it, does it make you No 1, no just the best side during those two weeks.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
That's not correct. Everything is dependent on quality. If the tournament offered any quality, more and more people would have watched it.
Probably, but with the Kilply Cup (i think that was name) just before it. It just became a bit of overkill for India, Pakistan and Bangladesh for fans. The quality wasn't that bad, but it just seemed to drag on and on, due to same sides playing each other over and over again. The best ODI tournments are short and sharp and don't involve teams that have played previously a couple months ago, let alone a couple weeks ago.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't swap India's win of the tri-series in Australia for the Asia Cup, put it that way.

And people can mock the CT as useless or meaningless all they want, I still get more excited and want India to win it more than the Asia Cup.

I don't mind the Asia Cup (although this year's was horrible due to attendance, its timing and the pitches) but seriously to suggest its #2 after the WC is ridiculous.
Agree completely. I wouldn't write off the Commonwealth Bank triumph for anything. This is where everything finished just right, from the selection, to the combination on field. They could have taken it forward from there, rather than regress as they did in the Asia Cup, and hopefully won't go any further back.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
That lineup posted earlier is the best you can get, although there are a few questions. For instance, where do Laxman, Rahul and Ganguly bat? Assuming that's the 'safest' batting lineup, they bat at their usual places, rather than try something different.

The real problem, though, will be with the bowling. That's too weak a bowling attack to counter Sri Lanka. They're gunning for 20 wickets, so saving a match will be a challenge. The Indians should counter that by aiming for 20 strikes themselves, but it's difficult with lineup. An option (until Irfan returns or they find a genuine all-rounder) would be to have Ganguly playing as a third seamer (enough in such conditions) and taking the load off Zaheer and Ishant. The batting looks strong, but taking 20 wickets is a problem. They can't afford to play a bowler less, as you'll end up with a few injured bowlers.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Guessing the SL lineup here-
  • Vandort
  • Udawatte
  • Sangakkara (WK)
  • Mahela (C)
  • Dilshan
  • Chamara Silva
  • Vaas (LMF)
  • Kulasekara (RM)
  • Mendis (??)
  • Muralitharan (!!)
  • Dilhara (RFM)
So who will make the middle-order? And three seamers or two? Whom will they choose to make up the three, if they choose three?

Nishant

International 12th Man
Guessing the SL lineup here-
  • Vandort
  • Udawatte
  • Sangakkara (WK)
  • Mahela (C)
  • Dilshan
  • Chamara Silva
  • Vaas (LMF)
  • Kulasekara (RM)
  • Mendis (??)
  • Muralitharan (!!)
  • Dilhara (RFM)
So who will make the middle-order? And three seamers or two? Whom will they choose to make up the three, if they choose three?
Drop Murali :ph34r: its for the best!! (frm an indian point of view)