• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
May be. But Maharoof, Vaas and Mendis are better batsmen than many strike bowlers other countries have. If 6 batsmen cannot make 350, I doubt 7 would. But on hot, humid conditions in SL, we need five bowlers. Or may be I am too aggressive in my mind
The key reason to play five bowlers, was the view they didn't have enough wickets in the side outside Murali, not to do with bowler fatigue. With Mendis and Murali together I reckon they will back themselves to take 20 wickets without the 5th bowler. Maharoof is 50/50 when it comes to selection anyway due to injury.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Prasanna Jayawardane tore a hamstring in WI. He was not dropped. And see what Sanga did when he was keeping in WI. He should be only used as a batsman in Tests, and may be in ODIs if Dilshan is prepared to take up the gloves.
Heard mixed reports about that. The word was that they could have played Prasanna if they wanted to. But they wanted to give the seven batsmen theory another shot, due to inexperience opening combination and inconsitency of middle order. Basically felt they didn't have enough runs in top six.

ret

International Debutant
I didn't watch the AC game live, but looking at clips, i feel that the Indian batsmen could have played him a lot better. the way some of them played Mendis was a mess

only if Sehwag had not stepped out, he would have taken Mendis to the cleaners, unsettled him and it would have been a different ball game .... Raina and Yuvi shouldn't be batting at #3 and #4

as i had said on that thread, only way Sehwag is going to get out is if he does something stupid. and only way Ind are going to lose this is if they mess it up

anyways, hoping for a better show in the test series

Migara

International Coach
I didn't watch the AC game live, but looking at clips, i feel that the Indian batsmen could have played him a lot better. the way some of them played Mendis was a mess

only if Sehwag had not stepped out, he would have taken Mendis to the cleaners, unsettled him and it would have been a different ball game .... Raina and Yuvi shouldn't be batting at #3 and #4

as i had said on that thread, only way Sehwag is going to get out is if he does something stupid. and only way Ind are going to lose this is if they mess it up

anyways, hoping for a better show in the test series
Sehwag cannot resist when he sees a spinner. He does not respect spinners. There was only one spinner that he should have payed respect to (because he got him out). But now there are two. (Both are from SL)
Sehwag has to bat well in the test series, unless Murali is going to cause havoc in that line up. Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman may have been prolific against Warne, but they are very restrained against Murali, nor any of them picks him.Sehwag is such a good player of spin, if he pays Murali on merits, Murali will have a difficult time.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Mr. Contractor should watch AC finals agaain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq--vwJyHfc&feature=related

Ian Chappel calling Rameez's suggestion on how to play AM as 'Rubbish' . Haha
Saw the clip and I agree with comments by one of the user "ameralimemon" in user comments. I've seen many pakistani kids do just what mendis is doing with a tape ball, and yes its hard to bowl the doosra with the hard ball because its flicked, but none of those are hard to pick out. Its good to see spinners evolving the bowling, just feel sad that fast bowlers have nothing but declined.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
only if Sehwag had not stepped out, he would have taken Mendis to the cleaners, unsettled him
Is it really so simple? Sehwag didn't last long enough to prove that he can play Mendis with an effectiveness or certainty.

ret

International Debutant
Is it really so simple? Sehwag didn't last long enough to prove that he can play Mendis with an effectiveness or certainty.
Sehwag is definitely one of the better players of spin in the world. I haven't seen any spinner trouble him unless he did something stupid or there is something in the track .... I have doubts whether Mendis would have troubled him on a track like that. with the way Sehwag was going in that game, he probably wouldn't have allowed Mendis to settle down

so are you implying that Sehwag, one of the best players in the world, has to prove that he can play a relatively new bowler like Mendis with effectiveness :laugh: .... would you say the same if Mendis had got Lara out

if you have any doubts then read your own siggy and get a hint from that

Originally Posted by Sreesanth on Lara:
"He defended a ball with an exaggerated back-and-across movement and I just stood there and murmured my disapproval," Sreesanth said. "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
not at all. But the thing about Sehwag is that him and Gambhir along with Dhoni are perhaps the 3 guys in that line up who are best equipped to handle quality spin. I do think we would have done much better had Sehwag shown some kind of restraint and tried to get used to him first before stepping down like that. He doesn't even flight the ball much, FFS. That is why it was so silly. The other 4 batters in our line up are dead meat against quality spin with variations... Seems so strange coz our test batting line up, esp. the middle order, is perhaps the best when it comes to facing spin but our ODI middle order is perhaps the worst. :(

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
This would be a good team for Ist test:-

1.G.Gambhir
2.V.Sehwag
3.R.Dravid
4.S.Tendulkar
5.S.Ganguly
6.V.V.S.Laxman
7.P.Patel
8.A.Kumble
9.H.Singh
10.Z.Khan
11.R.P.Singh

:)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Karthik ahead of Patel, for me.

I know Karthik's keeping has regressed a bit recently but Patel's level is still shockingly poor, as seen in the IPL and the A team series before that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Karthik ahead of Patel, for me.

I know Karthik's keeping has regressed a bit recently but Patel's level is still shockingly poor, as seen in the IPL and the A team series before that.
Karthik - because he is a far superior wicket keeper.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
our ODI middle order is perhaps the worst. :(
This is a young, new middle-order and the players have played few matches together. The only veteran, if any, is Yuvraj Singh- but he's so careless, he needs a rap on the knees once too often. They have their problems, but we know what they can do at best, and they need to know what to do- something they'll learn in a match.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
Karthik ahead of Patel, for me...I know Karthik's keeping has regressed a bit recently but Patel's level is still shockingly poor, as seen in the IPL and the A team series before that.
SJS said:
Karthik - because he is a far superior wicket keeper.
Karthik is better batsmen as well IMO
Jonty Lathwal said:
Karthik has got enough chances in past few years...........It's time to give a re-chance to Patel looking at his good form.........
Karthik obviously- he's a far better wicketkeeper. As for their batting, it's of no consequence if they can't bat anywhere above seven- which is a matter of concern.

Dissector

International Debutant
Looking at the squad, it's clear that concerns about fatigue are overdone at least for this series. Almost all of the players have had a period of rest either because of injury or non-selection. Dhoni was the big exception but as I mentioned earlier I think Karthik is the better test option anyway. The only other problems could be Sehwag and Ishant but while both of them have been very busy this year, they had plenty of off-time in 2007 when they weren't part of the international team.

Of course all this is only for this series. In the future the BCCI is clearly going to have to take a close look at the calendar. Dhoni's workload since the World Cup has been utterly ridiculous: 12 tests, 46 ODI's , TT world cup and the IPL; where he has been keeping, batting and often captaining as well.

It would be great if useless ODI tournaments like Kitply could be eliminated though I won't be holding my breath.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
BTW regarding Patel, is he really the third best keeper in the country? I seriously doubt he has any kind of future as an international keeper so it would have been a good opportunity to give some new talent the exposure. Who are the young,talented keepers in the domestic game? Anyway let's just hope that Karthik doesn't get injured...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BTW regarding Patel, is he really the third best keeper in the country? I seriously doubt he has any kind of future as an international keeper so it would have been a good opportunity to give some new talent the exposure. Who are the young,talented keepers in the domestic game? Anyway let's just hope that Karthik doesn't get injured...
Patel would do well to take my advise (if he is reading this) which was given when he was still playing for India.

Give up keeping and concentrate purely on batting. That is the only way you may, just may, play for India on merit. Keeping will only ensure you are in the hunt since you can bat so well but you will never be a serious contender because you are a lousy keeper. If you dont know that you are an idiot and if no one has told you then you have no well wishers.

I feel sad for you kid because you are a very exciting batsman.​
- A Genuine well-wisher​

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
AWTA. Are there any really good wicketkeepers (ignoring batting) in India or are Karthik and Dhoni the best?