• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, here's interesting, we get a prompt start.

Green wicket, England win the toss and will unsurprisingly field first.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Two "WTF?"s in selection - NZ replace Mason with Gillespie, England replace Mascarenhas... which would've been fair enough if Sidebottom was fit, but he's not, so it is... Chris Tremlett.

Absolutely ridiculous that Mascarenhas gets a 23-over game then gets dropped in what seem likely to be bowler-friendly conditions.

Beyond ridiculous, really. I'd be annoyed if I hadn't seen this sort of crap so many times before.

Flem274*

123/5
Well, here's interesting, we get a prompt start.

Green wicket, England win the toss and will unsurprisingly field first.
Holy Mary, Mother of "God". pray for our batsmen now and at the minute of their innings or even better, transfer some God powers to them. Apart from the ability to have babies without rumpy pumpy, not sure they'd want that. Amen.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Given what I've heard here about the conditions (Sky Sport is still wrapping up their rugby coverage), I'm not overly hopeful about our chances if we are indeed batting first. Also not particularly impressed that Gillespie starts over Mason, though I think Mason's costly two overs the other day counted against him.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Argh, looks like Oram is still injured.

Hopefully, we can finally level the series and then have him back for the 4th ODI. Would drop Styris for Oram in that case. Yeah, Styris has experience but he hasn't bowled anything other than pies for the last couple of years. He was our in form batsman a year or so back, but I'd rather have Elliot, who seems to be a better fit for the current side.
I've seen a lot of people in favour of dropping Styris...whilst I admit that his form has been far from compelling over the last six months, he was by far our best player at the World Cup, and in a side lacking experience somewhat, I think hes still a very valuable member of the XI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given what I've heard here about the conditions (Sky Sport is still wrapping up their rugby coverage), I'm not overly hopeful about our chances if we are indeed batting first. Also not particularly impressed that Gillespie starts over Mason, though I think Mason's costly two overs the other day counted against him.
I absolutely hate it when something counts against a bowler for ODIs in a game of length (23\24\29 overs, whatever it was at various points) that bears no resemblence to a ODI.

I wonder whether it'll be Broad or Tremlett who opens the bowling with Anderson.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anderson bowling short at How first-up - if he does that for long he'll pay big-time.

How off-the-mark with two.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wonder whether it'll be Broad or Tremlett who opens the bowling with Anderson.
Broad 'tis.

Anderson's ODI career record against ODI-standard teams reads economy-rate 5.2-an-over, average 31. New Zealand have done second-best against him, taking him for 5.67-an-over, bettered only by West Indies (5.94-an-over).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I mean, FFS if Gillespie HAD to come in it'd make sense to replace Southee no?

McCullum gets the first boundary of the innings, greeted by The Killers who've been a favourite this season.

EDIT: and whacks a hefty six next ball.

EDIT2: and an unbelievably fast four next ball again, bloody hell that travelled accross the turf!