• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I saw him at 19 when he made his debut against SL and thought he was one of the worst players I had laid my eyes on. Even put him on my list of worst players that I had ever seen in one of the threads around here. But he must really have impressed some people considering that hes playing intl cricket now with his record.
Well, he's no technical giant but what I personally saw in him was that aura of a bloke who looks the goods. Had quick footwork, wasn't hesitant to play his shots, just looked like he belonged but, more importantly, looked as if he knew he belonged. I'm usually on the 'needs performance before getting picked' side of things but I can understand why people in the WI would have watched him bat and given him chances to play above where he was at. He shown that in this series so far and not just in his 85 last night, either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmmm... Shame this isn't being shown on TV over here. Its a bit hard to assess a player based on one Stanford 20:20 game you've seen 'em playing in. Certainly he's scored a few runs, but how such a player gets selected in the test team in the first place is an interesting question!!
Beau Casson wasn't exactly a walk-up start for the Shield final last season either. Only a few very timely impressive performances with bat and ball in the two games leading up to it got him in there. I think he got dropped mid-season for Hauritz at one stage as well, although that could have been the previous season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Did you read the posts in this thread about it? Would recap, but I don't want to sound like a broken record.
Yeah, I supported Johnson's selection originally and I even supported his continued selection throughout the series, but it's been more of the same in this Test. In fact, he's bowled worse in this Test than he did in the first Test barring that one spell. Absolute crap allround with the exception of one spell against the tail really isn't good enough, and he hasn't been improving since he was picked.

If New Zealand can drop Gillespie after one Test innings in which he picks up five wickets, then again after he's recalled and picks up six wickets in his second Test, surely a country with Australia's depth can justify dropping Johnson. I know New Zealand's selectors are pretty dire and really shouldn't be cited to justify anything but I don't think you'll find much opposition to Gillespie's dropping - purely because he bowled a heap of crap, looked a liability and then picked up the tail in that second Test he played.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Considering he made his debut abt 3 years ago, I myself was stunned when they brought up his FC stats and had only played 18 fc games. Did he make his debut with no FC experience? I know it was back with the players-board crisis, but still surely there had to have been better options than a 19 year old with no experience. Stunning though how someone without an FC century to his name is selected to play international cricket and actually plays an impressive knock.
One must take note that the WI FC season has been 6 games and 10 games. The last few seasons with a couple extra games if your team makes the final. Last season it was 7 if you made the final. Year before I think it was 6 and the year before that was 12 I think. One must also note that he was banned by the Jamaica Cricket Association for a season because of attitude and apparently some form of substance use.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Hmmm... Shame this isn't being shown on TV over here. Its a bit hard to assess a player based on one Stanford 20:20 game you've seen 'em playing in. Certainly he's scored a few runs, but how such a player gets selected in the test team in the first place is an interesting question!!
Well I guess if players like Parchment can get into the team then it can't be too hard.

Laurrz

International Debutant
I thought Clark bowled one of the best spells of the series, when he operated with the new ball. On another day he could have had 3 or 4 at least. He bowled beautifully, and it was almost a shame that his one wicket came to such an ordinary shot. Until Lee's late burst, Clark was the pick of the bowlers, IMO.

Casson looked reasonable very occasionally, but still it's hard to understand why he's playing for Australia. He doesn't look anywhere near good enough. Obviously not deserving of the baggy green. I think this pitch has actually made him look better than he is, because it's allowed a bit of bounce and turn. In general he's way too inconsistent to build up pressure and really only got his wicket because of an excellent catch by Jaques. It was a reasonable delivery, with some bounce, but Marshall looked to have it under control. He seemed to purposely tuck it away from the fielder, but Jaques pulled out something rather special.
*Sigh - poor fraz :( he often does bowl brilliant but doesnt get the nicks etc. .... now they drop off him :(

agreed about Casson not being able to apply pressure.. always bowling one bad ball per over atleast (Wtached the end of it)
and not getting a lot of turn either which he should be coz i heard Benn did

Im over Punter :p

irfan

State Captain
Looks like its going to be a good finish to a very competitive series. Really hoping Bravo and 'Shiva' keep accumulating and get the WIndies to within a 100. Key tommorrow will be both Clark's and Lee's initial burst, if WIndies can hold them off then they can pick runs of Johnson and co. If WIndies are getting close, I'd be wheeling Chattergoon out there with a runner.

Head says Australia by 180+, heart says Aus by <100.

Looks like Australia's found a frontline spinner, his name is Michael Clarke.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I just went to look at who was in the NSW team for that final, and it's seven of the current test eleven, plus MacGill and Bracken. That's ridiculous!
They have to name the best side, and it's not the selectors fault that the majority of the best players come from NSW. It's not like they will drop them because of where they come from.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Looks like its going to be a good finish to a very competitive series. Really hoping Bravo and 'Shiva' keep accumulating and get the WIndies to within a 100. Key tommorrow will be both Clark's and Lee's initial burst, if WIndies can hold them off then they can pick runs of Johnson and co. If WIndies are getting close, I'd be wheeling Chattergoon out there with a runner.

Head says Australia by 180+, heart says Aus by <100.

Looks like Australia's found a frontline spinner, his name is Michael Clarke.
Well he has the best side now doesn't he......:laugh:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hey where is Rawl Lewis?

I seriously can not believe that he was back playing for the Windies last year.