• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's really shocking how poor West Indies wicketkeepers have been with the bat recently. Ramdin has still been good with the gloves and is still probably the best gloveman in the region, but he needs to remember how to bat very soon, because West Indies can't afford to start the tail at 7. Particularly given the insecurities attached to Bravo.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
With Gayle a doubt for the one-off T20/ODI series, and Chattergoon almost certainly ruled out, I'd say he's very likely to be called up to play Australia. He's continued to be a very useful bowler, but no significant improvement in his shot selection yet. He wouldn't be the worst selection for T20/ODI if he bats at 8 or lower.
Should be mentioned that he bowled 3-0-48-1 in the same game and Sussex lost on the last ball.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Casson looked far better this time around than 1st innings, though still doesn't look very threatening. Lee superb, Clark tight, Clarke - well, he just keeps taking wickets at test level.
I thought Clark bowled one of the best spells of the series, when he operated with the new ball. On another day he could have had 3 or 4 at least. He bowled beautifully, and it was almost a shame that his one wicket came to such an ordinary shot. Until Lee's late burst, Clark was the pick of the bowlers, IMO.

Casson looked reasonable very occasionally, but still it's hard to understand why he's playing for Australia. He doesn't look anywhere near good enough. Obviously not deserving of the baggy green. I think this pitch has actually made him look better than he is, because it's allowed a bit of bounce and turn. In general he's way too inconsistent to build up pressure and really only got his wicket because of an excellent catch by Jaques. It was a reasonable delivery, with some bounce, but Marshall looked to have it under control. He seemed to purposely tuck it away from the fielder, but Jaques pulled out something rather special.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ah we declared a bit too early for mine.

So annoying reading about the dropped chances, not good Australia. Hope Lee and Clark get Bravo out quickly, think his wicket is crucial, cause I've basically conceded that Chanderpaul will be not out at the end of the match.

howardj

International Coach
I still think it would do him more harm than good right now. He was picked when he was playing poorly and could be dropped when he's improving. The selectors have gotten themselves into this, and it would be detrimental to the player to change their policy now. It's like the Iraq war. Utterly mismanaged.
...well, he certainly isn't a weapon of mass destruction.

Anyway, ultimately the team comes first, which means the necessity of a having an effective third bowler for the Indian tour and for the immediate future outweighs any harm that may be done to Johnson. Let's bear in mind that even the greats get dropped- it's what you do with your time out of the team and how you come back that counts.

pasag

RTDAS
Very frustrating day, didn't watch the second half of the last session but Lee sounded superb. Will be very surprised if the WI make anything of this, these two bat very well together but with Chattergoon out, one wicket and Ramdin is in, we all know he's not very good and then you have the tail. So unless the two at the crease pull of a miracle Australia should win comfortably, so to speak.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Katich should be in close with the helmet on or at square leg. Not the best slips fielder, even I have to admit. A bit of a Slater.

Burgey

Didn't see katich's drop. Where was it this time - in slips again? If so, WTF is he doing there after dropping those two sitters in the 1st dig?

And can we all agree at least Casson has bowled bette rthan macGill was before his retirement (not that's a ringing endorsement, but hey)?

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Didn't see katich's drop. Where was it this time - in slips again? If so, WTF is he doing there after dropping those two sitters in the 1st dig?

And can we all agree at least Casson has bowled bette rthan macGill was before his retirement (not that's a ringing endorsement, but hey)?
Yeah, easy one as well. Then there was one Casson put down, one from Haddin and a straight forward run out chance from Lee when Gayle was stranded mid pitch. This was all before I fell asleep, don't know what happened after that.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This Xavier Marshall chap. I must say I'm a bit confused.

I looked at the scorecard this morning and saw he'd scored 80-odd. Fair play to the lad, but then in the commentary it mentioned it was his highest first class score. I checked it out and lo and behold, the commentary was right!

How does a guy who averages barely over 20 with a high score of 83 get called up to bat at number 3 in a test match against the best in the world? Is he thought to have some kind of phenomenal promise, or is this just another example of selectors prefering players with the name 'Marshall' for no particular reason?

pasag

RTDAS

I looked at the scorecard this morning and saw he'd scored 80-odd. Fair play to the lad, but then in the commentary it mentioned it was his highest first class score. I checked it out and lo and behold, the commentary was right!

How does a guy who averages barely over 20 with a high score of 83 get called up to bat at number 3 in a test match against the best in the world? Is he thought to have some kind of phenomenal promise, or is this just another example of selectors prefering players with the name 'Marshall' for no particular reason?
Selected on potential. Definitely a much criticised selection before the last Test but it's certainly a gamble that has paid off in the short run as he's looked quite comparatively good when he's been at the crease and his scores haven't been too shabby at all. Has played some stunning shots in the past couple of matches, it must be said.

Majin

International Debutant
Aus still easy favourites but if anyone in the World at the moment is going to be the man to do something amazing it's Chanderpaul. Consistently stunned at how much of a gun the man is.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Selected on potential. Definitely a much criticised selection before the last Test but it's certainly a gamble that has paid off in the short run as he's looked quite comparatively good when he's been at the crease and his scores haven't been too shabby at all. Has played some stunning shots in the past couple of matches, it must be said.
Hmmm... Shame this isn't being shown on TV over here. Its a bit hard to assess a player based on one Stanford 20:20 game you've seen 'em playing in. Certainly he's scored a few runs, but how such a player gets selected in the test team in the first place is an interesting question!!

Top_Cat

He's very good. I saw him at 18 in Hobart and he looked class.

pasag

RTDAS
Hmmm... Shame this isn't being shown on TV over here. Its a bit hard to assess a player based on one Stanford 20:20 game you've seen 'em playing in. Certainly he's scored a few runs, but how such a player gets selected in the test team in the first place is an interesting question!!
Yeah, Cozier, for one, was very critical of his inclusion, although he somewhat retracted that after his 50 in this first match when he looked a fair bit better than some of the other WI batsmen.

tooextracool

International Coach

Considering he made his debut abt 3 years ago, I myself was stunned when they brought up his FC stats and had only played 18 fc games. Did he make his debut with no FC experience? I know it was back with the players-board crisis, but still surely there had to have been better options than a 19 year old with no experience. Stunning though how someone without an FC century to his name is selected to play international cricket and actually plays an impressive knock.

tooextracool

International Coach
He's very good. I saw him at 18 in Hobart and he looked class.
I saw him at 19 when he made his debut against SL and thought he was one of the worst players I had laid my eyes on. Even put him on my list of worst players that I had ever seen in one of the threads around here. But he must really have impressed some people considering that hes playing intl cricket now with his record.