• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Due to the Watson-resemblence?
...I like Watson. :huh:

I was bagging out Wright because he's a crap cricketer and it was a huge shame to see him chosen ahead of Cook (injured, yes), Strauss, Ramps, Rikki Clarke, Jason Brown, Saj Mahmood, etc.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Similar bowlers as well really. Shame about Wright's batting though..
Is playing completely out of position.

And as Nasser said on commentary, if he was going to open for England in ODI's, why wasn't he opening for Sussex this season? Bit daft really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
...I like Watson. :huh:
Yeah, I know, that's the point. :p Was meaning was wondering if you disliked him because he was attempting to steal Watson's thunder or summat.
I was bagging out Wright because he's a crap cricketer and it was a huge shame to see him chosen ahead of Cook (injured, yes), Strauss, Ramps, Rikki Clarke, Jason Brown, Saj Mahmood, etc.
Hmm, Clarke and Mahmood aren't crap enough for you either. :mellow:

Also while Wright's awful, Strauss is little better, Ramprakash too old for ODIs and Brown a totally different player - a spinner (while Wright is being chosen supposedly as a batsman who can bowl a bit of seam).

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, missing the point Rich. What do you think that means in terms of how I rate Wright? ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is playing completely out of position.
He was picked because he averaged 40-odd in half a season in the 40-over league, opening the batting. He's playing because he's supposedly this pinch-hitter that England seem to think they can create by picking rubbish, useless sloggers.
And as Nasser said on commentary, if he was going to open for England in ODI's, why wasn't he opening for Sussex this season? Bit daft really.
England can't pick Sussex's teams. Though Carl Hopkinson and Chris Nash (struggling to remember who else was opening with Prior) are hardly a hell of a lot better.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
He was picked because he averaged 40-odd in half a season in the 40-over league, opening the batting. He's playing because he's supposedly this pinch-hitter that England seem to think they can create by picking rubbish, useless sloggers.
I know... I'd just like to see Dimi/Wright in the team down the order, and a more experienced top order batsman opening.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Okay and since the start of Jan 01 2007...

MS Dhoni 44 innings 1538 runs @ 48.06 SR of 86.30
AC Gilchrist 39 innings 1256 runs @ 33.94 SR of 101.29
KC Sangakkara 35 innings 1136 runs @ 33.41 SR of 71.35
BB McCullum 33 innings 1060 runs @ 40.76 SR of 106.74

Still nothing at all in it.

Now if we remove all teams aside from the top eight.

Dhoni 37 innings 1208 runs @ 44.74 SR 83.02
Gilly 35 innings 1060 runs @ 31.17 SR 100.76
Sanga 29 innings 954 runs @ 34.07 SR 68.98
Macca 27 innings 800 runs @ 34.07 SR 97.91

Now McCullum's figures still remain second best there, and you have to remember he did still bat down the order during this period. And I stand by the opinion that he is a better player than he was this time 2 years ago.

Vs. Top 8 since 01 July 2007

Dhoni 30 innings 985 runs @ 42.82 SR 80.27
Gilly 18 innings 581 runs @ 34.17 SR 101.75
Sanga 15 innings 529 runs @ 35.26 SR 66.79
Macca 11 innings 489 runs @ 48.90 SR 102.51

I think right now McCullum is playing as one of the best limited overs openers in the world and I'd select him for that, Dhoni has however had far more opportunities to score than McCullum playing triple the matches that his Kiwi counterpart is. While I think either way would be a fair choice, I'm just trying to outline that McCullum would be certainly in contention.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looking again, this NZ bowling-line-up has a cringeworthly lack of death-bowlers. Mills (categorically not one), Southee (on ODI debut), Mason (read Mills), Vettori (spinner, who as-a-rule aren't good death-bowlers) and Styris (probably not, but also probably no worse a bet than anyone else).