• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
No need to panic. Pretty clear they're going after him as the weak link. With attack comes opportunities as the Aussie batters showed yesterday.
Haha, they're going after him as the weak link because he's bowled all of four good deliveries for the series. It's dire and just stupid that we've got Noffke sitting in the shed.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, they're going after him as the weak link because he's bowled all of four good deliveries for the series. It's dire and just stupid that we've got Noffke sitting in the shed.
Yeah but you have to back your guys too. It's always said that it's harder to get out of the Aussie side than in and pulling Johnson now promotes the attitude of 'if you stuff up, you're out' rather than giving the bowler opportunity to correct his bowling. Like it or not, he's there and Ponting has to work with him, especially since there's a bloke playing his first whose style of bowling generally concedes more runs.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yeah but you have to back your guys too. It's always said that it's harder to get out of the Aussie side than in and pulling Johnson now promotes the attitude of 'if you stuff up, you're out' rather than giving the bowler opportunity to correct his bowling. Like it or not, he's there and Ponting has to work with him, especially since there's a bloke playing his first who's style of bowling generally concedes more runs.
It was the same "he'll come good" thinking that kept Gillespie in the 2005 Ashes team and MacGill in for this series. I'm of the "you're clearly not ready yet, come back later" philosophy that produced Hayden, Martyn, etc. Though I do see your point. :)

Top_Cat

It was the same "he'll come good" thinking that kept Gillespie in the 2005 Ashes team and MacGill in for this series. I'm of the "you're clearly not ready yet, come back later" philosophy that produced Hayden, Martyn, etc. Though I do see your point. :)
Nah it's not 'he'll come good' I'm getting at. I'm thinking in terms of this Test only; he's there and expected to bowl well, he has to be worked with especially since there are only 4 main bowlers and has to be given opportunity to correct what he's doing.

Speaking of Gillespie, he was belted to all parts early on and he was persisted with too. He and Johnson are similar bowlers at the same stage of their careers.

EDIT: Mark Taylor or Steve Waugh would have given Casson the last over before lunch, I reckon.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Nah it's not 'he'll come good' I'm getting at. I'm thinking in terms of this Test only; he's there and expected to bowl well, he has to be worked with especially since there are only 4 main bowlers and has to be given opportunity to correct what he's doing.

Speaking of Gillespie, he was belted to all parts early on and he was persisted with too. He and Johnson are similar bowlers at the same stage of their careers.
Cool, we're arguing on different grounds then. Re: Gillespie - can't say I saw a lot of him early on, but from all sources he looked the goods. Johnson doesn't look to have many favourable attribues at all.

Top_Cat

Cool, we're arguing on different grounds then. Re: Gillespie - can't say I saw a lot of him early on, but from all sources he looked the goods. Johnson doesn't look to have many favourable attribues at all.
Yeah but like Gillespie, he's highly-rated. Dizzy went to the 1996 WC on mostly potential. Although one difference was that Dizzy was coming off a really good season for SA (when they last won the Sheffield Shield :):)) when he was picked whereas with Johnson, there's a bit more faith involved. But yeah, Gillespie was a hit-the-deck type early on. Didn't swing the ball much at all and really only had the in-ducker and speed as his weapons.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha Camps, always defended you when people said you were on drugs, but if you're not on ecstasy now you never have been. :D

Marshall's batting has been sublime all the same. Pietersenesque even. Bring Casson on. (Y)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Reckon the yorker to Marshall might be worth a go, especially after some short ones. He'd probably try to drive it on the up.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Haha Camps, always defended you when people said you were on drugs, but if you're not on ecstasy now you never have been. :D

Marshall's batting has been sublime all the same. Pietersenesque even. Bring Casson on. (Y)
Hey, I returned to Trinidad yesterday, and I'm here for the first time in 9 months. I'm watching my first full day of Test cricket in about 2 years, and at home, no less. And it's one of the most thrilling contests I've seen in a long long time. Xavier Marshall looks more comfortable at the crease than anyone bar Chanderpaul for the West Indies in recent times. A breath of fresh air.

All in all, I'm having a great day.

Top_Cat

There's something about Casson..... Two good catches. He'll hit the crease feeling like he's right in the game. Four-down now with Bravo in who's no great shakes against spin, tailor-made for him to grab a couple on debut. Just got a good feeling.