• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

chris.hinton

International Captain
We are having a better season this year, last year was poor on the whole as we suffered a double relegation. now we are in Warwick Division 4 and we can get 3 teams out on a saturday which is a bonus.

Personally i am averaging 11 with the bat and have taken 5 wickets so far (same as last year) i am captain of the 2nds on sundays and we have won 4 Lost 1 and had 2 called off. so looking good

Chubb

International Regular
Norwich & Coltishall Wanderers IIs 268-5 (A. Jones 107, T. Saunders 45, R. Humphries 27, Chubb 11)
Downham Market IIs 158 a/o (S. Alexander 3-20, J. Bunting 3-27, A. Jones 2-24, T. Saunders 2-21)

This club amaze me. Two weeks ago Rudy Kaiser was offered a Lancashire League contract, so he decided to take it up and left Norwich ( a good move for his career). On Saturday morning, Anthony Jones, of Limpopo Province, flies in from Jo'burg. Robbie Humphries drove down to Heathrow to pick him up and, with a brief stop over to pick me and a mate up from our student house, Jonesy goes straight into the match.

He came in at 101-2, after my dismissal, and promptly smashed 107 off about sixty balls with some of the biggest hits I have ever seen. His hand speed is utterly phenomenal. They had absolutley no answer to him. I have never seen such an incredible display of power. The amazing thing was he was falling asleep in the car on the way to Downham, and it was his first day in England EVER. Stunning.

It had been a relatively subdued match up til that point. I came in at three and played a few good shots but got out mistimeing a lift over midwicket (I leading edged it and it ballooned to point) which was annoying. Their attack was fairly good, but there was no express pace nor tall bowlers to utilise a bouncy pitch.

When we bowled, only one of their players proved able to handle our pace lineup, the opner, who scored a fine 75. Saunders removed their Aussie pro for just 14, and after that it was something of a procession. Our skipper Alexander bowled very well, then Jonny cleaned up the tail. Jonesy was the fourth bowler to be used. He is quick and bowls bat-rattling slighty back of a length deliveries- he is not in Rudy's class as a bowler, but is probably the better batsman.

The team we were playing against have a reputation for being a pack of pricks, and they certainly proved that. Their number 5 was the worst. He was dropped first ball and reacted later by asking the skipper why he was so fat- Stuey replied, in time-honoured fashion, "every time I **** your wife she gives me a biscuit". The next ball he edged behind, but had to be dragged off the pitch bawling at the skipper to have the guts to fight him- I've never seen anything like it. In another incident, when Jonny was batting, the bowler picked up the ball from a defensive shot and threatened to throw down the stumps. Jonny said "If you're going to do that, have the guts to actually throw it". When he bowled Jonny, he shouted "Don't you ****ing say a word to me you little ****!" and pointed him off the pitch. They had been top of the league before this and we only had ten players, so to turn them over at their place was a great effort.

As well as being a superb player, Jones is a great guy and I can't wait to see a few more knocks by him this summer. I'm going to miss this kind of stuff when I go back to Devon.

Swervy

International Captain
Its a funny game isnt it

Here we were, undefeated on the season in second place, with 21 points from 5 games, and today we play the last placed team who had just one point from 5 games (4 losses and one rained off)...and they absolutely trounced us.

Our dream start is over

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Our season so far reads:
Saturday (Third) XI: S - 5; P - 4; W - 2; L - 2. I heard of one loss last week (didn't play) where apparently we were bowled-out for 80 and lost in 7.2 overs. :blink: Annoying, 'cos the game that was rained-off was against a team our captain was near enough certain we'd have beaten had it been played. Why TF couldn't it have rained last Saturday instead. :@ And as you know, the other loss we should've won, a dropped catch cost it. A dropped catch off my bowling, too. 8-)

Either way, played again yesterday having originally been slated to score, but was brought in as an emergency opening bowler. Having almost crashed my car on the way into our "home" (it's a home away from home) ground, I think that summed-up my "fitness" - I'm still not completely well after last week. In my first 2 overs I was bowling completely on instinct. Fortunately I was able to pitch it, and in my first 5 overs took 1 for 14. Sadly, my lack of fitness showed eventually, and I bowled my usual wretched last over and conceded 14. Was, rightly, not called on again and we kept a lid on the scoring for most of the rest of the innings, despite byes aplenty and a few long overs.

We chased the target down with ease thanks to our ex-West Of England u14 batsman James Street, who was only playing because he's been inexplicably batting at six and eight for the Twos. He was partnered for most of the innings by one of our Twos' regular openers who is currently fit only for Threes because he's recently had a knee operation, and who dealt solely in boundaries and strollable singles. Fortunately, though, he scored, because no-one else looked comfortable on that wicket and without those two's contributions we'd probably have fallen well short.

Sunday XI I'm not sure of the record actually, but I think it's S - 4; P - 3; W - 2; L - 1. Playing again later today, so we'll see what happens there. Still no home games at the County Ground yet this year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Another disappointing performance from Exeter Sunday XI today, not helped by losing the toss and being forced to bat first. No-one really got going, and we posted a pretty lame 112. The outfield was slow and the wicket far from easy, but with our relatively star-studded batting side (for the benefit of the Pickups: Alex [forget his surname], Street, Hensor, Steward P, Choudhury, Steward M, Hood) the number of times we middled the ball straight to the fielders was unforgiveable.

Defending (in the loosest sense of the word) 112 was never remotely likely, though I bowled surprisingly well with a piss-poor excuse for a ball (the Sunday League balls are poor to start with, and after 34 overs they're near useless to swing bowlers). But for a typical Beamer no-ball off the first ball of my 5th over I'd have had 5 overs for 5. Ended instead with 5 overs for 13. Most annoying thing however was the ball was smashed back at me in my 2nd over - I'm now sitting here with a minor fracture and bruse on the main finger of my right hand. This meant I struggled to grip the ball (my control thereafter impressed me) and certainly couldn't take what would normally have been an easy caught-and-bowled in my 3rd. This batsman ended-up scoring about 60 off 40 balls or so, smashing 2 of our other 3 bowlers plentifully. Surprisingly he could not get away and was eventually dismissed by a 48-year-old who has only started playing cricket 4 or 5 weeks ago, whose accuracy under said circumstances was pretty remarkable.

But our loss was by the considerable margin of 7 wickets. I really, really hate batting first in that league.

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
Im 15. Managed to start breaking my way into the 1st team (45 overs), batted 7-8 with an average of 18.6666 a lot of quick 20s towards the back end of the innings.

Got an aussie other though so i've played a couple of games for the 2nds (45 over)opened the batting and average 41.

Youngest junior in the u17s (20 over comp.) opened batting got scores of 40 off 22 balls, 39 off 31 balls, 25 off 30 balls, averaging 34.66 with them.

1st team are unbeaten.

2nds won/lost 50/50.

17s won two lost one.

Bowling only got three wickets but being very economical, going at 4 an over overall. Best figures of 3 overs for 5 runs at the death when coming onto bowl at 15 overs with opposition on 96-0.

Swervy

International Captain
Cricket is a funny game part 2.

We win the toss, and put them (the amusingly named Muff Field) in to bat on what looked like a dicey wicket. Within 3 overs they were 39-0, and after 17 (out of a possible 40) they were 122-1. We were dead in the water, I was expecting them to get to the 300 mark, they were killing us.

And then it goes strange. They lost their last 9 wickets for 15 in 4 overs. A combination of us starting to field better, bowl better and silly shots. One wicket leading to another has never applied so greatly

That gives us 59 overs to get 138. Turns out to be a stroll in the park. I went out there to bat at number three, score about 30-1 after about 12 overs, I get into the zone, hit an unbeaten 56 and we win after batting 26 overs.

I have never seen a collapse of that magnitude in any form of cricket though

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seen a few along said lines myself, but can't think I've ever seen 9 go down for 15. Closest I can recall for certain is 7 for about 20, maybe a few less.

Anyway, scored today (for the first time as official scorer ever) and saw us fall to 32-5. Expected an earlier finish than we ended-up getting TBH, we nearly batted out our overs and ended-up getting 109. They chased it easily in about 15 overs. Really hate games like that - their new-ball did plenty, ours did sod-all and chasing is always a huge advantage, more so than ever in this league.

Swervy

International Captain
Seen a few along said lines myself, but can't think I've ever seen 9 go down for 15. Closest I can recall for certain is 7 for about 20, maybe a few less.
Actually in the division below us the other week, a team was all out for 8, chasing 300.

And I have been involved in a team effort of 10 all out (me top score with a majestic 5) in 19 overs (the opposition won in 8 balls)

But it was just bizare how a team can go from being so on top to being destroyed in 24 balls, and still scoring at almost 4 an over in that spell...:laugh:

Chubb

International Regular
Norwich & Coltishall Wanderers IIs 115 a/o (A.Jones 60, Chubb 2)
Ashmanhaugh IIs 116-2 (T. Sati 64)

Apart from Jonesy NCWCC IIs are pretty dreadful with the bat. Last week he scored 89 out of 132- the next highest score being my 14- and this week the pattern was continued- he gets a fast start and the top order hang around with him, but as soon as he gets out the whole thing crashes down like a house of cards. I got out to a poor shot off a bowler who took 5-19 from 10 overs. They never looked in any trouble getting the target. However it was clear that apart from their overseas player, Tazz Sati, who is a New Zealand-based Asian batsman, Ashmanhaugh had as little in the batting department as us. Thus it was a shame that we lost the toss and had to bat on a difficult wickets. I suppose we were lucky just to get a game in with the poor weather we have had over the last two days. Fortunately the forecast for tomorrow is good so I should get a friendly in before I go home on Thursday.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Amusing match report from our site.

Not sure I can but let me attempt to find one word that adequately describes the U15's performance today Umm.........Demolition. Crushing. Outstanding. Ruthless.......probably all in fairness!

Well where to start ? OK the beginning then! As 'captain fantastic' and vice skip Sam 'watch out for that bench' Morris both arrived at Greenlane without much in the way of suitably white whites! The job of tossing up was left to impeccably turned out (as usual) Nathan Procter who started the day well and won the toss and, in accordance with his poorly turned out captains instructions, elected to bat first. The track looked very green and wasn't going to easy to bat on but out strode young Mr Hewitt with his partner, a rather scruffy Mr Morris to face the full force of Greenlanes bowling attack. Mr 'Scruffy' went to work immediately not bothering to have a look and dispatched his first ball for a crushing four through the covers. That moreorless set the tone and off we went, pouncing on anything short, wide, over pitched, crunching fours, quick singles, two's three's and even an all run four I think. Left handed opener Pete Hewitt also soon found his feet and played some great shots before unfortuantely being cut off in his prime by a suspect LBW decision. In strode Captain 'F' meaning we now had a right couple of scruffs in the middle! Mr Morris didn't let up and went about his business crunching that poor cricket ball to all corners. After finding his feet (after about 2 balls!) Captain 'F' treated the 100's of spectators to some totally sublime stroke play with the ball crossing the boundary rope on a regular basis. Both players reached magnificent 50's Capt. 'F' with a straight '6' - little poser! Unfortunately Mr Locke and Mr Snook didn't have the best of luck with the bat this week but their time will come! Matt Stephens and 'Rhino' Grange both contributed valuable runs toward the end and BRCC finished with a colossal 160/6 off 20.

Was this going to be enough ?

Now I wasn't there, so forgive the lack of stats. I was however reliably informed that we used 8 bowlers and all performed really well. Stalwart Nathan Procter got a few wickets, as well as young Mr Revell taking 2 for 3 of 3 overs. Snooky junior picked up a couple of good'ns and I think Vice Capt 'Scruffy' Morris reluctantly bowled, but still took 2 for not many. I am also informed that we took 7 yes 'SEVEN' catches which is a excellent.

In my team talk before the game I said I wanted the opposition to come off and say they had no complaints and were beaten by a team who Batted, Bowled and fielded better than them. This is exactly what happened and I am a very proud litle coach.

This was a truly awsome performance by everyone involved and shows that the U15's after a slow start are really starting to find there collective footsies.

PS. I am sure that Mr Taylor will add the stats as soon as he returns from that grey, drab and industrial place somewhere in the West. Thats Lancashire to all those of you wondering!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seriously pissed-off at the match today. We won easily and I bowled 8 overs for 36 with 1 wicket, but honestly that's the worst I've bowled all season, easily. Complete heap of ****. Never felt right, despite a decent bit being in my favour, and was impossibly fortunate to go for so few. Not helped by the fact I was bowling the final third(ish) of my spell in fear of bowling a third Beamer and hence being taken out of the attack, something I've never done and hope I never do do.

Honestly can't recall when the last time I felt I had so little clue where the ball was going. If I knew what it was that was wrong I'd be less angry. But I just couldn't work it out.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Old Dragons 190
Dragon Staff 91

I wasn't selected... have a game tomorrow night - home to St Edward's...

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
St Edward's Staff 189-6 (Graham 3/3)
Dragon Staff 162-4 (Plimsoll 50ret, Henning 33, Pickup 29*)

Our miserable lack of bowling was underlined by the fact that I took the new ball. It was mostly alright [2-0-14-0]. This included eleven dot balls, a beamer that went for five no-balls, a legside wide that went for three wides and a length ball outside off that disappeared over cow corner for six. Their opener went to 50* off 29 balls (I think) but I swear had the bugger LBW third ball...

Our Aussie & SA gap students got us off to a good start but the run-rate was always climbing, and I came in at six at 105/3 after 15.4 overs. 19 balls later I had skewed my way to four boundaries and 29*, was absolutely knackered, and had been accused of waking up the junior boarding houses by calling too loudly...

Season aggregate: 34 @ 17.00; Career aggregate: 297 @ 7.07 - the first time it's ever been above the seven mark.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know, having had nets this evening I've rarely been so excited by something since picking-up a cricket-ball.

Within the space of a few days of trying, I can now bowl an inswinger to order. Simply by slightly changing my grip and taking careful note of where my arm is positioned (I'm generally a little round-armed, hence the prevalence of the outswinger) I can now bowl a delivery that I've never managed to bowl before.

Currently the inswinger comes out far slower than my stock-ball outswinger, and that'll remain the case until I get used to bowling it. I won't be trying this in a match any time soon, barring exceptional circumstances. But it's exceptionally encouraging. Big, big thanks to James Anderson and Ian Botham who demonstrated the techniques.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im as happy as Larry :)

Played against an English touring team today.

As some as you may know Im a bowler that cant really bowl at the level I used to anymore, though I used to be ok.

Also approx this time last year I got out on 98 against a touring team from England.

Today (our 3rd and final game of the season) I scored 105* with...wait for it...14 6s, 5 4s and 1 single.

I went hard.

My first ton in probably close to 10 years and brings my batting average in Bulgaria to over 156 over 5 games :)

Happy days

Last edited: