• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Craig

World Traveller
I'll be the first to admit Iain O'Brien has done more in this series then what I thought he would do, so credit is where it is due :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England did the job but to be totally honest are a very average side IMO and were just lucky to play a side that don't have the mental application or the skill for test cricket. I will be very suprised if South Africa don't win the up and coming test series.
You'd imagine they would, but so would you in 1994, 1998 and 2003.

Anderson unsurprisingly MOTM.

Craig

World Traveller
So Ryan Sidebottom can now join the top group as the best fast bowlers along with Steyn, Lee, Clark? I think so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Always feel the losing-team MOTS must feel damn awful at times like these. Who wants all this ceremony?

Well, Vettori gets it. Interesting one that, had considered him but not that seriously.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Disagree with the above strongly. This is a strong collective unit that just needs to click, while not on par with England, Australia, India and SA, we're at least with the rest.

We have some good Test players in How, Taylor, McCullum, Oram, Vettori, Martin, Mills, and dare I say it O'Brien. Players like Flynn, Fulton and Ryder all have the potential to strengthen our squad and we almost beat England both at home and away.

This series as a whole was by no means a disappointment, we came close and failed against a better team. I think you'd be hard pressed to expect more from almost any New Zealand team in history. I'm as disappointed as anyone with this match, but its more to great English batting and bowling than any real downfall from our players. Redmond and McCullum got absolute gems in the first innings, and Pietersen played a great knock. If players like Pietersen or Anderson on a good day (1/8th of the time) get going then we're always going to be well behind.

I take a lot of pride in having players like Taylor, McCullum, Vettori, Oram, Vettori and Southee who on their own days can put the opposition into this kind of position. Its just whether the other players in the team can assist them like the English team do until we can really expect any semblance of success in the greatest form of the game.

In the shorter form however...

Lets kick these Pommie bastards arses.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disagree with the above strongly. This is a strong collective unit that just needs to click, while not on par with England, Australia, India and SA, we're at least with the rest.

We have some good Test players in How, Taylor, McCullum, Oram, Vettori, Martin, Mills, and dare I say it O'Brien. Players like Flynn, Fulton and Ryder all have the potential to strengthen our squad and we almost beat England both at home and away.

This series as a whole was by no means a disappointment, we came close and failed against a better team. I think you'd be hard pressed to expect more from almost any New Zealand team in history. I'm as disappointed as anyone with this match, but its more to great English batting and bowling than any real downfall from our players. Redmond and McCullum got absolute gems in the first innings, and Pietersen played a great knock. If players like Pietersen or Anderson on a good day (1/8th of the time) get going then we're always going to be well behind.

I take a lot of pride in having players like Taylor, McCullum, Vettori, Oram, Vettori and Southee who on their own days can put the opposition into this kind of position. Its just whether the other players in the team can assist them like the English team do until we can really expect any semblance of success in the greatest form of the game.

In the shorter form however...

Lets kick these Pommie bastards arses.
Your much easier to please than I.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Day 1 was New Zealand's. The rest were England's. Congratulations on a fine win and what turned out to be a pretty interesting series.

As for NZ, it was a case of half the team turning up and performing well, and the other half poorly.

How, Taylor and McCullum batted well for NZ, while Vettori proved himself in conditions not traditionally for him. Martin had an unlucky series whilst Mills improved at the tail end and O'Brien was a pleasant surprise in the conditions that will probably do him the most help.

I feel sorry for Redmond. He had a solid NZ domestic season, and 2 centuries in warm ups and received a number of aboslutely superb deliveries. His output was not top class though. However, I think he should be perservered with for another series. I want us looking forward with our openers. Going back to Bell or promoting/retrying Marshall would be a poor move.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Your much easier to please than I.
Not happy but realistic, our team was never likely to do well in this series. We ended up doing okay, fair enough. Bit disheartened and feel like Christmas was cancelled but at least Easter (the ODI's) is still on.

Flem274*

123/5
:laugh: is all I can say really at today.

Agree strongly with Athlai. Yeah, this tour hurt but did anyone believe we could have got ourselves into a winning position at OT? I sure didn't. We've discovered some players this tour and some have surprised us like O'Brien.

There's many positives out of this series. We were never going to win and we've discovered some quality players. Inexperience contributed a big part to the lack of killer instinct I think. This side needs to learn how to win and that will happen in time. There will be no instant gratification with this side.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
No Ryder is an issue. Who's going to open with McCullum (god its refreshing to see McCullum open for some reason).

Athlai

Not Terrible
I feel sorry for Redmond. He had a solid NZ domestic season, and 2 centuries in warm ups and received a number of aboslutely superb deliveries. His output was not top class though. However, I think he should be perservered with for another series. I want us looking forward with our openers. Going back to Bell or promoting/retrying Marshall would be a poor move.
AWTA, but I think we should allow Bell or Papps to compete for the opening slot as well.

Athlai

Not Terrible
No Ryder is an issue. Who's going to open with McCullum (god its refreshing to see McCullum open for some reason).
Lol.

How and McCullum > McCullum and Ryder

How and McCullum was such a gun opening partnership and extremely successful, and unlike the Ryder McCullum partnership doesn't make you feel like the worlds going to collapse upon itself.

Flem274*

123/5
Papps to earn a recall vs SA. :p

Right, onto the ODIs. Good, we can win these. If we lose then I'll start to get irritable because we have proven we're still much better than the poms at ODIs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This series as a whole was by no means a disappointment
I can't see how being in a winning position in the second test, yet losing, and then possibly losing by an innings in the third test doesn't equate to a disappointing series.

Rather than just being beaten by a better team, NZ have gone a long way to aiding England. 2nd innings batting in the second test was nothing short of a disgrace IMO.

I was hoping for a NZ win here, and its so disappointing when they throw away games when they are clearly in a position to win them.