• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I've been saying for quite some time that (at this early stage of his career) Johnson is similar to Bracken, in the sense that both are very good ODI bowlers, and can make the white ball talk. In the Test Match theatre though, they both struggle to do anything other than take the ball across the batsman at good pace.
Are you saying Johnson = old Bracken, or Johnson = present Bracken? Because they're two very different bowlers. Either way, Bracken was never that pacy.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Are you saying Johnson = old Bracken, or Johnson = present Bracken? Because they're two very different bowlers. Either way, Bracken was never that pacy.
I think more the fact that they are the same, because they're both very good bowlers in the short form of the game, both pretty good first class bowlers but not quite up to it in Tests.

biased indian

International Coach
for a second series in row a opp batsmen is the leading run scorer..dont think this has hepped too much time in 2000;s aganist australia..did it ?

ya there is still one test to go...but i don't know how they are going to dismiss chanderpaul..so he will score more runs :)

Dissector

International Debutant
With a poor series in the West Indies for Sangakkara and a mediocre one for Kallis in India I would say Chanderpaul is comfortably the best test batsmen in the world at the moment. Averages more than a 100 in his last ten tests against England,SA, SL and Australia.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
fair enough

then again he pitches are quite unresponsive..recn if its a greenish pitch with bounce Midge may carve up
even on the most spin friendly pitch i can see macgill getting murdered
There was some help for bowlers in the first Test, particularly as the match wore on. But Johnson never looked threatening.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I don't understand. You are ranked #8 and you're playing the #1 team. You can't expect to dominate them. It would be mad to suggest WI haven't been doing better of late.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally I think the days of Australia winning series to nil on a regular basis are well and truely over. We have come back to the pack, even Ponting has admitted as much, we may not have come back a long way, but think we have come back enough. India in India later this year is going to be a true test. Our results on away soil is going to be where we are hit the hardest, teams will not fear us on their home turf anymore.

At home we are still going to be formidable, especially given we'll have a whole country of talent to draw on, but I can see a team like South Africa later in the year giving us a real challenge.

It was bound to happen with all the talent we have lost recently, but only time will tell.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I think more the fact that they are the same, because they're both very good bowlers in the short form of the game, both pretty good first class bowlers but not quite up to it in Tests.
Two Tests against India five years ago isn't a true indicator of Bracken's Test ability IMO. Times have changed. Would LOVE to see him given another crack.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, exactly. He'll need the selectors to give up on Johnson for a while and that won't happen yet.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I've been saying for quite some time that (at this early stage of his career) Johnson is similar to Bracken, in the sense that both are very good ODI bowlers, and can make the white ball talk. In the Test Match theatre though, they both struggle to do anything other than take the ball across the batsman at good pace.
Remembering Bracken from 01-03 he never really was that pacy TBH always around 80-85mph tops & swinging it compared to Johnson who is over 85 mph most of the time. Since Brack came back in the super series developing these off-cutters he seems to bowl with that approach rather than a decline in pace.

I reckon people are being a bit harsh on Johnson, this is his first overseas tour & he's struggled but he did look fairly good @ home. He could turn out to be a test flop or could take a long while like Lee to work out what he needs to do be a consistent test success. Whats obvious is he's extremely talented & for sake of Australia's bowling stocks i'd hope he comes good at test level.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I reckon people are being a bit harsh on Johnson, this is his first overseas tour & he's struggled but he did look fairly good @ home. He could turn out to be a test flop or could take a long while like Lee to work out what he needs to do be a consistent test success. Whats obvious is he's extremely talented & for sake of Australia's bowling stocks i'd hope he comes good at test level.
Didn't impress me at home tbh. Bowled on the decks that probably most suit him in the world. Wasn't bad at all, but not great. I dunno. Just don't see him as a Test bowler yet. Give him some time in FC Cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Australian spinners, the new English fast bowlers? Coming in and out of the team.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/wivaus/content/current/story/353602.html

I guess he is lucky that it is against the Windies.
I fear the Australian selectors are making a big mistake here. They still seem to be stuck with the idea of having variety in the attack given the luxury the have had over the last 15 years of having Warne, MacGill & Miller as spin option thus giving the bowling attack a great balance.

Now that they are gone they need to realize quickly that they need to pick their best bowlers even if its an all-pace attack no point picking a spinner just for the sake of variety if he is not one of your best bowlers available.

Picking Casson would be a poor choice given the way Australia have bowled in this series. Want to blood a young spinner do it againts Bangladesh not when there is a chance wthe windies could draw the series.

MrHat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Amazing to think he was drafted in for his ability to swing it in the panic of post Ashes 2005 loss yet has been gun barrell str8 since his inception. Back to FC for Johners without a 5'fer I reckon now that Ponting has singled out the bowlers. Plenty of big wicket hauls for Lee and Clarke and nothing from Johners, not good against the #8 team