• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Parchment, Smith, Sarwan, Shiv, Bravo, RHinds, Ramdin, Sammy, Powell, Fidel and Benn. That's the side apparently. Heard earlier Taylor may have picked up a knock. Can't see the sense in picking Benn over Jaggernauth with Taylor out.
If Jerome Taylor is out, West Indies will certainly lose this Test. The team keeps getting weaker and weaker. It's a second string team facing Australia, when a first string would typically struggle to compete. Sad times. And someone the selectors evidently can't admit that they made a mistake in picking Benn over Jaggernauth. Anyone with eyes could tell that Jaggernauth is a superior bowler.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I was talking about the strength of this team compared with the team that Chanderpaul lead against South Africa. Didn't pick up at first that you meant the last South Africa series.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
If Jerome Taylor is out, West Indies will certainly lose this Test. The team keeps getting weaker and weaker. It's a second string team facing Australia, when a first string would typically struggle to compete. Sad times. And someone the selectors evidently can't admit that they made a mistake in picking Benn over Jaggernauth. Anyone with eyes could tell that Jaggernauth is a superior bowler.
Only speculation though but have it on good word that Benn will play and that Taylor is injured. Will find out how true soon enough.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I was talking about the strength of this team compared with the team that Chanderpaul lead against South Africa. Didn't pick up at first that you meant the last South Africa series.
But my post is pretty clear. :blink: If that's the team you're referring to, I disagree that it was stronger than this one. About the same strength, if Taylor is fit. If Taylor is not fit, the bowling of that team is marginally stronger, but the batting on par.
Only speculation though but have it on good word that Benn will play and that Taylor is injured. Will find out how true soon enough.
Dave Mohammed is genuinely better than Benn, and Jaggernauth is potentially better than Mohammed. Hell, Nikita Miller is superior to Benn. Benn is a decent bowler, but more suited to OD cricket. He doesn't do enough to be penetrative at Test level.

The selectors are clueless about spinners. Now they're just taking the piss. I think it's a conspiracy to prove than spinners don't work for West Indies, to allow them to continue backing mediocre 4-pronged pace attacks.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Incidentally, saw Benn bowl recently in a Stanford replay. Liked the look of him, but don't think he has enough for the longer format.

howardj

International Coach
Fair play to the Kat for making it back into Test cricket. I always say to people that the best things that happen to you in life do so when you least expect it. You just have to hang in there and keep plugging away and then bam...the world can open up for you. Anyway, with Jaques tailing off towards the end of last Summer, it will be interesting if Kat tons up in this match and Jaques struggles throughout the tour.

I have often thought that Katich could be the next Langer - a stodgy middle order bat, who makes himself into an opener. I just hope with Kat that he keeps that 'hunter' mindset that he had in Pura Cup cricket last Summer. So often fringe players are 'hunters' when they're out of the side, but then they tense up and play like 'the hunted' upon their return.

Top_Cat

Fair play to the Kat for making it back into Test cricket. I always say to people that the best things that happen to you in life do so when you least expect it. You just have to hang in there and keep plugging away and then bam...the world can open up for you. Anyway, with Jaques tailing off towards the end of last Summer, it will be interesting if Kat tons up in this match and Jaques struggles throughout the tour.

I have often thought that Katich could be the next Langer - a stodgy middle order bat, who makes himself into an opener. I just hope with Kat that he keeps that 'hunter' mindset that he had in Pura Cup cricket last Summer. So often fringe players are 'hunters' when they're out of the side, but then they tense up and play like 'the hunted' upon their return.
You get the feeling that the Kat might be a bit better liked. Bevvo utterly dominated his last few years of cricket but in no way was he in line for a Test spot again although he was a couple of years older too.

Laurrz

International Debutant
I don't know, Aussie are different without Hayden and Clarke.. at the start i was only fully confident in Hayden Clarke and Hussey... now there's only Hussey im confident in
for Windies there is Sarwan and Shiv

and if theye plus Bravo add runs.. then the rest of the batting can gain confidence and they bat lowish...

No Taylor make things easier for our batsmen though, he was one bowler who could sustain pressure by bowling straight a lot...

Bravo worries me, i remember his bowling efforts when he came down under... when he started swinging the ball we looked at sea

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hoping for a big game out of Ryan Hinds, if he's actually picked. Very talented batsman, has been doing well domestically.

Woodster

International Captain
Parchment, Smith, Sarwan, Shiv, Bravo, RHinds, Ramdin, Sammy, Powell, Fidel and Benn. That's the side apparently. Heard earlier Taylor may have picked up a knock. Can't see the sense in picking Benn over Jaggernauth with Taylor out.
Think if this WI side is picked they look a little short in the batting department, would rather them pick an extra batsman, and bat Bravo and Hinds at 6 and 7 (either way). Personally would pick Runako Morton over Benn in that line-up.

The loss of Taylor is huge, he offers WI that bit of control, yet looks threatening also.