• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Batsmen off for light. Had McCullum survived I would've almost been pleased with the day. Not by the top order of course (and especially not be Ross Taylor), that was a huge (but expected) disappointment, especially after How, Redmond and Marshall performed so pleasingly in the warm-ups. But McCullum was so good (and so lucky), that he almost reversed it single handed. Don't yet know if the number 5 spot should be his, but in this case, the fact that he was able to play this knock with Oram at the other end rather than with the tail, has given us a better chance of making a competitive first innings score. I wonder if when he gets close to 100 he tries too hard to play aggressively and act like nothing is different, causing an overcompensation. But one really can't be too hard on him. That's just the way he plays. Well, I'm off to bed.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like England had had enough for the day - what other conclusion can be made from bringing a quick back in the dark?

Stupid decision with 2 new bats at the crease

Isolator

State 12th Man
Actually it was circumspection that did him in, he'd have dealt with that ball if it had come along a few runs earlier. Cool innings, though.

Panesar should've had him in his first over though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looks like England had had enough for the day - what other conclusion can be made from bringing a quick back in the dark?

Stupid decision with 2 new bats at the crease
Oram wasn't a new batsman.

In any case, they'd have been off for the light any minute anyway, and it was raining. Not much too far wrong with it really.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually it was circumspection that did him in, he'd have dealt with that ball if it had come along a few runs earlier. Cool innings, though.

Panesar should've had him in his first over though.
Listening to it on the radio it seems that Panesar's arm ball struck again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, it was an attempted Off-Break. Exactly as last year at Lord's, though, batsmen played for turn that didn't happen and was never going to happen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not for the first time, either.

Awful selection. Plain awful. Sinclair has a better case, never mind Fulton.

GGG

State Captain
So whats the verdict, no coverage here and I spent the day on the beach, swinging ball? 300 a good score?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You'd think internationals would have sussed by now that Panesar gets most of his wickets through not turning the damn ball in the first place. God it's so annoying.

Oh and well done England, let them off lightly, good stuff.

Woodster

International Captain
Fair play to McCullum for his knock today. Rode his ample luck well and played some typically thunderous shots. As for him being a number 5, I don't believe he is a top 5 Test batsman, but is there due to a total lack of viable options for NZ's top order.

He should bat 6 at the highest, his style certainly keeps the fielding side interested and you felt he was as likely to get out as he was to smash a boundary. When he comes off, all well and good, but batting like he did today he will fail more times than not, not a top 5 Test bat for me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So whats the verdict, no coverage here and I spent the day on the beach, swinging ball? 300 a good score?
Swung plenty earlier on when the ball was new, not so much later. No way of knowing what's a good score as we don't know what the weather is going to do for the next few days.

And I reckon the weather will play a huge part in how difficult batting is.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd think internationals would have sussed by now that Panesar gets most of his wickets through not turning the damn ball in the first place. God it's so annoying.
It could be drift which he extracts combined with the flight which causes wickets from deliveries which appear to go straight on.

Isolator

State 12th Man
I don't believe he is a top 5 Test batsman, but is there due to a total lack of viable options for NZ's top order.
Yeah but he is pretty much the only one in the team who looks like he wants to do something out there. NZ's batting is seriously lacking in intent, has been for quite a while now. I mean, what, you have to go back to Mark Richardson to find the last NZ batsman who consistently batted like he knew what he wanted to do.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A ball spun from off to leg to a like-hander. The stock-ball.
Im confused. You were talking about him bowling to Brendon McCullum right?

It could be drift which he extracts combined with the flight which causes wickets from deliveries which appear to go straight on.
But he doesnt get much drift. More subtle than Giles but far less F&G and drift than someone like Tufnell

Last edited: