• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Lol... after a spell like that, u keep wondering how on earth could the PCB not handle him better???

And man that run out effort by Dinda was special.

And Tiwary... He better learn fast on playing 145+ bowling...... He looked clueless against Brett Lee and he looked clueless when facing Shoaib yesterday and yet he looked very confident against the lesser pace of Dinda. The kid has got talent but I think he is really not ready for international cricket just yet. And I dunno why you would ask your best fielder to keep... Who knows.. They might have missed a couple of run out chances or so because AB was keeping rather than fielding.
Shoaib could always bowl a good three over spell :)

.... particularly after months of rest

pasag

RTDAS
Akhtar so far has turned in the best spell of the IPL. Fast and accurate. Fantastic spell here, loved watching every ball even though I'm rooting for the Delhi Daredevils.
Was certainly the best Twenty20 spell I've ever seen. Don't think anyone expected Kolkata to win that mid innings yet when he was done they were pretty much favourites.

Still can't get over the Maharoof run out, that's the kind of stuff I tell my team mates off for in Indoor, bloody hell.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shoaib. Such a gun.

There's surely no better sight in cricket than Shoaib charging in with a tablet or two behind him.
Corrected.

Seriously though, he is good to watch.

I think the tourny (what I've seen of it) has been good fun, but it's seriously dragging out now. Maybe in future years they should just play each other once, then at the other team's home ground next year.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Wow, he's back

still don't like him, Ganguly and Akhtar in the same team... but David Hussey..... oh god talk about the liked and not liked hurt i am torn... i hope KKR dont make the top 4 but i think they will now after that win
Delhi a far more likeable team with ABDV, Maharoof, McGrath (whos a lot less spiteful in his old age) Sehwag, Gambhir etc.

Looks like he did send a message did Shoaib, although just read on cricinfo that there was none of that

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the tourny (what I've seen of it) has been good fun, but it's seriously dragging out now. Maybe in future years they should just play each other once, then at the other team's home ground next year.
I can't see any of the franchises agreeing to a reduced gate revenue any time soon. I think the timings of the tournament are contributing to the "drag" we're feeling right now.

Waking up at midnight every night for 6 weeks is a huge emotional investment and unless you're in India where it's on at prime time and cricket every day is seen as a gift from God I can see why people want it over sooner ala Windies WC. Really can't see a solution for this unless they go with more double headers but then any game on a weekend afternoon would be taking a massive crowd hit.

Torn on this, would like a more compact tournament but can't see a solution that suits all the relevant interests.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I can't see any of the franchises agreeing to a reduced gate revenue any time soon. I think the timings of the tournament are contributing to the "drag" we're feeling right now.

Waking up at midnight every night for 6 weeks is a huge emotional investment and unless you're in India where it's on at prime time and cricket every day is seen as a gift from God I can see why people want it over sooner ala Windies WC. Really can't see a solution for this unless they go with more double headers but then any game on a weekend afternoon would be taking a massive crowd hit.

Torn on this, would like a more compact tournament but can't see a solution that suits all the relevant interests.
Perhaps they could have 2 game days midweek as well... Like Wednesdays, apart from Saturdays and Sundays... It might reduce at least 14 days in that case. But I understand that the gate revenues will be a big problem..... Unless they decide to have 2 games at the same time, which might not suit the broadcasters, esp. Agree with you that it is a tough problem to solve.

duffer

And Tiwary... He better learn fast on playing 145+ bowling...... He looked clueless against Brett Lee and he looked clueless when facing Shoaib yesterday and yet he looked very confident against the lesser pace of Dinda. The kid has got talent but I think he is really not ready for international cricket just yet. And I dunno why you would ask your best fielder to keep... Who knows.. They might have missed a couple of run out chances or so because AB was keeping rather than fielding.
I think i's too small a sample space to judge MT on how well he handles pace. He had to face Lee having just stepped off a plane i conditions that no batsman looked comfortable in and got out first ball (?) he faced against Shoaib yesterday where replays show he probably got a bit of a tickle on it.

Although I do agree that a couple more seasons of improvement before throwing him to the sharks in international cricket.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Was at the stadium yesterday and it was amazing watching the Shoaib spell. The atmosphere was charged up more than even by Eden standards. Drums were playing as he ran into bowl, the crowd was cheering and then we were all jumping in joy as he took one wicket after another. Shoaib!!! So happy that you gave a top performance.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
As far as all that talk about ICL and IPL being for the good of Indian cricket and helping develop Indian cricketers of the future - who are you kidding ?

Yes some Indian cricketers will make much more money that they would have otherwise, but this is far from a ground for developing future cricketing giants.

This is carnival, this is entertainment (for those who dont find cricket entertaining or just dont like cricket), this is the selling of the icing as the cake, and this is all about the big bucks. You still want to fool yourselves that this is for the game of cricket and its betterment - go ahead - be my guest.
Playing along side international stars, facing them when earlier these players used to face journeymen in the domestic games improves the games of players. Sure, one needs to do more to develop players but this certainly helps players take that step towards the next level a lot better. IPL is not just about the big bucks and it is you who is fooling yourself and being highly cynical here in my opinion. We have seen a lot of good cricket being played and I am happy as a cricket fan how the tournament has gone so far in regards to this.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To be honest, the young players would learn a fair bit about the mental side of the game, and their own mental game, more than anything else cricket-wise from the IPL. The self-belief from surviving a Lee spell/over, or of getting out a Laxman or Kallis, that's what would be great for the young players.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest, the young players would learn a fair bit about the mental side of the game, and their own mental game, more than anything else cricket-wise from the IPL. The self-belief from surviving a Lee spell/over, or of getting out a Laxman or Kallis, that's what would be great for the young players.
Oh yes. I have no doubt Jack that they would. Not just with those from other countries but also with the leading Indian cricketers. What a fabulous opportunity particularly because most of India's top stars skip most of the domestic circuit.

You know there is one medium pacer in thie IPL who, till a few months back, was a daily wage manual labourer.

Its absolutely amazing.

I had just commented on how the corporate franchisees look at their investments and some people on CW use every opportunity to show their personal biases by reading in one's posts whatever they want. I dont care enough to reply all of them. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think i's too small a sample space to judge MT on how well he handles pace. He had to face Lee having just stepped off a plane i conditions that no batsman looked comfortable in and got out first ball (?) he faced against Shoaib yesterday where replays show he probably got a bit of a tickle on it.

Although I do agree that a couple more seasons of improvement before throwing him to the sharks in international cricket.
I agree but it is basically a feeling I juz got. I get the feeling he has been thrown into the side more for his attitude than for his actual talent, because honestly, I don't see how he is going to be much in the international arena as of now. Obviously, I could be wrong and to be completely honest, I don't mind being proved wrong about this, but the fact is, that is my opinion as of now. I just don't think he is good enough for the big leagues yet. He is reminding me of how Marlon Samuels used to be around his debut time.

duffer

The excitement about the game was what I was getting at.
Kolkata whenever the home team is doing well is the most amazing sight in Indian cricket and possibly all cricket. Although if Sachin can hit the ground running tonight it might have some competition.

Is the game at Wankhede or DY Patel?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kolkata whenever the home team is doing well is the most amazing sight in Indian cricket and possibly all cricket. Although if Sachin can hit the ground running tonight it might have some competition.

Is the game at Wankhede or DY Patel?
Wankhede, I think.