• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
CS Martin 4* (22)

Outstanding contribution here...showing up some of the top order.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't want Flynn debuting at Lords. I'd quite like a line up of:

Redmond
How
Marshall *winces*
Fulton
Taylor
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
Mills
Martin

That line up could collapse in a heap quite rapidly. However, comprimising Taylor by moving him up and playing another debutant (and an unproven FC cricketer at that) is suicide.

Guess which one the selectors would like to pick?:laugh:
If that isn't the lineup I'd be really surprised now. Southee has done enough to secure his spot, while the other three bowlers pick themselves. Taylor, McCullum and Oram obviously certainties. How, Redmond, Marshall looks a pretty good bet for the top order, and I agree with you with regards to Flynn, so am selecting Fulton for my Lords side.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As for Redmond, I hope it's a case of history repeating. Our last genuinely good Test opener, Mark Richardson, scored his highest ever FC score in a warm-up game just before his Test debut. Redmond has done the same. :)

Richardson scored 306 though...

Flem274*

123/5
As for Redmond, I hope it's a case of history repeating. Our last genuinely good Test opener, Mark Richardson, scored his highest ever FC score in a warm-up game just before his Test debut. Redmond has done the same. :)

Richardson scored 306 though...
There was enough time for that to happen?:blink:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say the strength of the England Lions attack and conditions in Southampton are a lot trickier than those Richardson faced against a Zimbabwean selection side. ;)

To be honest its just nice to have a New Zealand opening batsman settling into his role and not giving his wicket away.

Flem274*

123/5
Hope he hasn't peaked too early.

Love it how openers who average in the high thirties domestically (Bell, Papps, Cumming) are awful internationally and those who average in the low thirties, How and Redmond, show some promise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hope he hasn't peaked too early.

Love it how openers who average in the high thirties domestically (Bell, Papps, Cumming) are awful internationally and those who average in the low thirties, How and Redmond, show some promise.
The cases of none of those players are remotely conclusive at this time.

Flem274*

123/5
The cases of none of those players are remotely conclusive at this time.
Correct, they're conclusive.:p

Reasoning for your statement? Until Papps learns how to play the short ball and knows where his off stump is, he'll never be good. When Cumming can play the short ball and stop planting his front foot he has a chance. When Bell gets a decent technique he'll have a chance.

How in ODIs has done well and has shown promise in tests. Redmond is showing promise in FC games on foreign soil. Never said they were amazing, just showing promise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Correct, they're conclusive.:p

Reasoning for your statement? Until Papps learns how to play the short ball and knows where his off stump is, he'll never be good. When Cumming can play the short ball and stop planting his front foot he has a chance. When Bell gets a decent technique he'll have a chance.

How in ODIs has done well and has shown promise in tests. Redmond is showing promise in FC games on foreign soil. Never said they were amazing, just showing promise.
Personally I've always thought Papps especially had promise. There's plenty still wrong with How's game and I still think he's more likely to fail than succeed in Tests TBH. And ODIs FTM.

Redmond's a little different as his last two seasons have been excellent, and it is this which is more relevant than what happened in 1999 or 2002.

Cumming and Bell are both getting on now so I've less hope for them.

Flem274*

123/5
Personally I've always thought Papps especially had promise. There's plenty still wrong with How's game and I still think he's more likely to fail than succeed in Tests TBH. And ODIs FTM.

Redmond's a little different as his last two seasons have been excellent, and it is this which is more relevant than what happened in 1999 or 2002.

Cumming and Bell are both getting on now so I've less hope for them.
How's technique is pretty good IMO, not many flaws though he still tends to favour the front foot like most NZ domestic batsmen.

Papps doesn't have a hope in hell unless he modifies that technique.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
To be fair on How he's been dealt a few harsh lbw decisions of late. Otherwise he generally is the opening anchor of the batting in his short stint so far.

Key just went nuts, 3 boundaries off Southee in 1 over.