• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mills approaching 50. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. On one hand it's obviously good to see him in some decent batting form, but if Mills can score a half century in these conditions against this attack, it doesn't say a lot for the top order..

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Mills approaching 50. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. On one hand it's obviously good to see him in some decent batting form, but if Mills can score a half century in these conditions against this attack, it doesn't say a lot for the top order..
True.. True, and its been happening alot it seems with NZ, (the lower order doing the run scoring I mean)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
True.. True, and its been happening alot it seems with NZ, (the lower order doing the run scoring I mean)
Well Vettori's performances over the last few years more than suggest he's better than most of the New Zealand top order, so I'd never be too worried by him outscoring them in a tour match - I'd back him to follow it up with a good score in the first Test. Mills on the other hand, while more than competant as a lower order batsman and perhaps even under-rated, should not be outscoring the top order.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
91-5 really isn't a very good score. I'm hoping the conditions are extremely bowler-friendly. If not, the fact that Tudor, Palladino, Chambers and Bopara have got half our side out is quite a worry.
Not neccessarily. As I say above, Bopara is a strange mix, Tudor as everyone knows is capable of bowling absolutely brilliantly if things go right, Palladino is certainly a decent-ish bowler. Don't know a thing about this Maurice Chambers fellow, barely played half a season's worth, of course, and as we all know - presume that the unknown is the poor and you're living dangerously.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't know a thing about this Maurice Chambers fellow, barely played half a season's worth, of course, and as we all know - presume that the unknown is the poor and you're living dangerously.
Now, I don't remember exactly, but I saw a young Essex quickie in the last year I was in the UK. He was either Chambers or Westfield? He seemed pretty quick, though very, very raw. Capable of bowling some good and quick deliveries, but with a bit of a dodgy radar. Then he got injured I think and was out the rest of the season. Could have been out injured last season as well. Essex have a worse record than NZ for fast bowler injuries - I think Tudor, Thomas (did he even play a game last year?), Palladino, Chambers and then, brilliantly, signing Andrew McGarry back up only to be injured in his first (second?) game back. Brilliant.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now, I don't remember exactly, but I saw a young Essex quickie in the last year I was in the UK. He was either Chambers or Westfield? He seemed pretty quick, though very, very raw. Capable of bowling some good and quick deliveries, but with a bit of a dodgy radar. Then he got injured I think and was out the rest of the season. Could have been out injured last season as well. Essex have a worse record than NZ for fast bowler injuries - I think Tudor, Thomas (did he even play a game last year?), Palladino, Chambers and then, brilliantly, signing Andrew McGarry back up only to be injured in his first (second?) game back. Brilliant.
My bet's on Mervyn Westfield, from that description, TBH.

Don't forget, BTW, in Essex's injured-fast-bowlers list the fact that Mark Ilott and Ashley Cowan, better bowlers than all the aforementioned bar Tudor by a fair bit, had their careers finished by such things (despite trying to fight on). And Irani who was forced to give-up bowling.

HeathDavisSpeed

No surprise you remembered him then. :p
I knew someone would say that... To be fair, I'd have done the same :ph34r:

My bet's on Mervyn Westfield, from that description, TBH.

Don't forget, BTW, in Essex's injured-fast-bowlers list the fact that Mark Ilott and Ashley Cowan, better bowlers than all the aforementioned bar Tudor by a fair bit, had their careers finished by such things (despite trying to fight on). And Irani who was forced to give-up bowling.
Yes - I hadn't forgotten Ilott, Cowan and Irani. Its pretty hard to forget them really. I went to the same gym as the Essex squad once-upon-a-time, hence I know a fair bit about their players (circa mid-nineties anyway).

Of course, of an older vintage than those guys, Neil Foster was a fair crock too.

John Lever and Neil Foster were better than Ilott and Irani by a long, long way. Its crazy to think how good that 1980s Essex team were compared to the current crop - Ken McEwen, Graham Gooch, Mark Waugh/Allan Border, Brian Hardie, Paul Pritchard.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not neccessarily. As I say above, Bopara is a strange mix, Tudor as everyone knows is capable of bowling absolutely brilliantly if things go right, Palladino is certainly a decent-ish bowler. Don't know a thing about this Maurice Chambers fellow, barely played half a season's worth, of course, and as we all know - presume that the unknown is the poor and you're living dangerously.
I realise that they are at least reasonably good first-class bowlers, but I don't see any of them pushing for a spot in the England bowling attack in the near future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes - I hadn't forgotten Ilott, Cowan and Irani. Its pretty hard to forget them really. I went to the same gym as the Essex squad once-upon-a-time, hence I know a fair bit about their players (circa mid-nineties anyway).

Of course, of an older vintage than those guys, Neil Foster was a fair crock too.

John Lever and Neil Foster were better than Ilott and Irani by a long, long way. Its crazy to think how good that 1980s Essex team were compared to the current crop - Ken McEwen, Graham Gooch, Mark Waugh/Allan Border, Brian Hardie, Paul Pritchard.
What about Stuart Turner?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tudor certainly would if he bowled as he can more often.
But he doesn't, and as a result there's not necessarily any reason to believe he was bowling at his best yesterday - as the fact that he was hit for 5.11 per over may suggest.

Son Of Coco

But he doesn't, and as a result there's not necessarily any reason to believe he was bowling at his best yesterday - as the fact that he was hit for 5.11 per over may suggest.
Exactly, if everyone bowled as well as they could each team'd be sensational. The ability to utilise the skills you have is one of the facets each player has to master. If he can't, then he's not good enough.