• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Man IF only this tour match is the first test!

Especially because James Marshall and Daniel Flynn combined for the century partnership. And we are winning without relying heavily on our 5 IPL players to play out of their skins.

One can always wish. :laugh:

EDIT: Athlai you get your wish, Taylor is in at 3 right now.

How bizarre is this, I keep hitting refresh to find that (what was previously stated as) AJ Redmond has suddenly become J Marshall who's opening and gone out for 12. Now I'm seeing McCullum at 4 playing like 20 20, and Taylor at 3. Where is Redmond?

Last edited:

sportychic33

State 12th Man

Especially because James Marshall and Daniel Flynn combined for the century partnership. And we are winning without relying heavily on our 5 IPL players to play out of their skins.

How bizarre is this, I keep hitting refresh to find that (what was previously stated as) AJ Redmond has suddenly become J Marshall who's opening and gone out for 12. Now I'm seeing McCullum at 4 playing like 20 20, and Taylor at 3. Where is Redmond?
Redmond, if you go to Blackcaps.co.nz and read his player diary didn't field yesterday thus he can not bat until number 7.
He spiked himself - clever.

sportychic33

State 12th Man

We are winning? You can not determine a team has won or not until the game is finished or in the closing stages.

We are winning? You can not determine a team has won or not until the game is finished or in the closing stages.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Or it could be a blessing in disguise with McCullum batting at 4. Going great guns at the moment. Has wicket keeping + number 4 batting ever been done before in tests? Actually Sanggakara might be doing that for Sri Lanka? (edit)

Judging by how they rotated the batting order, it seems like James Marshall might be the backup opener this series, leaving no room for Gareth Hopkins, unless McCullum decides to bat higher than 5. Hope Oram get some runs, please get some runs. At least don't get out until he's spent time in the middle. Fulton out of form is bad enough, we don't need another classy batsman out of touch.

Possible lineup for Lions:

J How
AJ Redmond
R Taylor
B McCullum
P Fulton
J Oram
G Hopkins (wk)
D Patel (Vettori injured)
T Southee
K Mills
C Martin

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
And Taylor goes! Silly really, he's not a number 3 (barely a number 4 at this stage), and shouldn't be mucked about with, but it's only a tour match I suppose. This situation is developing a distinctly sticky feel.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
If Flynn goes out now without scoring a 50 I'm changing my avatar and clean out my signature about Vettori. :laugh:

It's starting to get irritating, but we seem to have a knack of batting collapse in the 2nd innings. I'm hoping this is not one of them.

Last edited:

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Judging by how they rotated the batting order, it seems like James Marshall might be the backup opener this series, leaving no room for Gareth Hopkins, unless McCullum decides to bat higher than 5.
McCullum won't keep and open in the same test so the logical thing happened here. If Redmond (or how) went out injured in between tests then perhaps you would see Hopkins come in and McCullum up the order as backup opener.

Last edited:

Leslie1

U19 Captain
If that's the case should Hopkins be playing in the Lions' game in the name of rotation? Or do we just play our strongest lineup, one that will feature in the first test?

And McCullum.... :@

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope we play our strongest lineup...looks like we need the practise. McCullum gone after a typical quick 30-odd, 63/4.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Great job Brendon you sure showed a quick adjustment from T20 cricket. Nice to see that wonderful counter-attacking aggressive batting after a top order collapse worked so well again 8-)

Last edited:

Leslie1

U19 Captain
He's either going to be absolutely brilliant in this test series or he will leave most of us shaking our heads by the end of it I'm sure. No room for hard graft for this man.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
If that's the case should Hopkins be playing in the Lions' game in the name of rotation? Or do we just play our strongest lineup, one that will feature in the first test?

And McCullum.... :@
Don't know. I'm glad I'm not in charge of those decisions :happy:

TBH I wouldn't like to think on how effective McCullum opening in tests would be. If I were to hedge a bet I would say 'not very'.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair, none of us have the slightest clue about how he got out. If we went slashing at a wide one, or trying to hoik one over midwicket, then fair enough. But if he was undone by a beauty whilst playing a defensive shot, then it's kind of a different scenario.

EDIT: at a second glance, it turns out he was dismissed by Bopara, which kind of puts paid to my "dismissed by a beauty" theory.

Last edited:

sportychic33

State 12th Man
To be fair, none of us have the slightest clue about how he got out. If we went slashing at a wide one, or trying to hoik one over midwicket, then fair enough. But if he was undone by a beauty whilst playing a defensive shot, then it's kind of a different scenario.
True, however based on how he played during the England Test Series, I am not keen on him moving up the order. He has to show application and be able to know when to attack and when to defend.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's true. Where does Gallian usually field?

The fact that the bowler was Bopara doesn't fill me with confidence that it was a great ball.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
True. Out in Bopara's first over.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has wicket keeping + number 4 batting ever been done before in tests?
Many people have done it short-term (ie, the odd innings at a time). Not a great number have done it consistently over a lengthy-ish period of time (say, a year) though - not even Sangakkara, who preferred to bat three. And even though he kept more than he did not keep between 2000/01 and 2006, there were at least 3 spells where he discarded the gloves, though none lasted very long.

Alec Stewart is the only one who immediately comes to mind who's batted four and kept wicket over a lengthy period, but I'm sure he's not the only one.