• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I have seen him bat a few times, and he's a very steady batsman, often relying on pinching gaps and running singles. He's not a big-hitter like the other seven prospects in each other team. He's been his team's frontline batsman in many a match, but has been a little out of form lately. Putting that together, with his bowling which lacks any pace or power, he'd be useful as a batsman, more than as a bowler, but the team for which he plays has a very strong top-six.
Yeah I know in FC cricket he generally bats as front line batsmen. But in OD cricket he averages in teens and even worse in Twenty20 cricket. In the shorter form of game you can't really rely on his batting much. Even though he has a decent s/r he is one of those batsmen that needs time to build innings and increases his s/r as he goes along. He can't do that as batsmen in OD cricket, so I reckon he got next to no chance of doing that in Twenty20 cricket. Even in weaker sides I doubt he would bat in top six.

I think you under estimate his bowling. Yeah his not that fast, but he got every good variety and can get some decent swing. Probably one of those bowlers who pretty much perfect for this format.

He's often played as a sixth bowler for TN. In case the batting side is a bowler short, he will be a more-than-useful fifth bowling option.Badrinath and Raina are best not bowled in this format. T20 is hard enough on the bowlers, so we can imagine what can happen to the bits-and-pieces bowlers. Already a few have gone for over 20 in an over, notably Karan Goel. The bowlers may have had a hard time, but have still outperformed the so-called batsmen-who-can-bowl-a-bit. Vidyut, though, can bowl more than a bit.
Vidyut should get a bowl during this series sometime, so we will just see how he goes. He seems to be one of those bowlers who is decent, but really not much more then a back option. The difference between the main five for Chennai and him is pretty big IMO.

Ntini has a dreadful T20 record, especially in internationals, so I'd like to know how he'd figure in the team plans.
I wouldn't read too much into his current Twenty20 record as it is a small catchment and hard to really tell how good or bad he is. If your going to pre judge his performances on anything it would be poor away record in general. But with only four overseas players left, Chennai don't have many other options. But with the likes of Morkel also in side they might bowl him first chance if he struggles. Personally I think he will show his class pretty soon.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
We hear the T20 is harsh on the bowlers- 14 runs in a Hafeez over show that it's severely harsh on the part-time bowlers. And Yuvraj throws his wicket away to Hafeez with a mis-step.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Duds and the Studs of IPL's foreign players.

Close to the end of the first round of the league stage, there have been some really disappointing performances by the 'guests' from other cricketing countries. Here is a list of the Duds and the Studs

The Studs

1. Mathew Hayden
  2. Shaun Marsh
  3. Kumar Sangakarra
  4. M. Hussey
  5. Adam Gilchrist (keeper)
  6. Andrew Symonds (a dud as a bowler)
  7. Dwayne Bravo
  8. Shane Watson
  9. Mohammad Asif
  10. Umar Gul
  11. Glen McGrath

The Duds
  1. Sanath Jayasuriya
  2. Shoaib Malik
  3. Rikki Ponting
  4. Mahela Jayawardane
  5. Jaques Kallis
  6. Shahid Afridi
  7. Luke Ronchi
  8. Kamran Akmal
  9. Jacob Oram
  10. Shaun Pollock

pasag

RTDAS
Can someone do an analysis of player payments and results? Would be interesting to see who has earned their money and who hasn't.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Indian Studs

1. Sehwag
  2. Gambhir
  3. Rohit Sharma
  4. Yousuf Patel
  5. Shikhar Dhawan
  6. MS Dhoni
  7. Irfan Pathan
  8. Piyush Chawla
  9. Zaheer Khan
  10. Ishant Sharma
  11. Ashok Dinda

The Indian Duds

1. Saurav Ganguly
  2. Parthiv Patel
  3. Rahul Dravid
  4. Mohd. Kaif
  5. Venugopal Rao
  6. Sanjay Bangar
  7. Dinesh Karthik (k)
  8. Munaf Patel
  9. Anil Kumble
  10. Ashish Nehra
  11. P Amarnath

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Indian Studs

1. Sehwag
  2. Gambhir
  3. Yuvraj
  4. Rohit Sharma
  5. Shikhar Dhawan
  6. MS Dhoni
  7. Irfan Pathan
  8. Piyush Chawla
  9. Zaheer Khan
  10. Ashish Nehra
  11. Ashok Dinda

The Indian Duds

1. Saurav Ganguly
  2. Parthiv Patel
  3. Rahul Dravid
  4. Mohd. Kaif
  5. Venugopal Rao
  6. Sanjay Bangar
  7. Dinesh Karthik (k)
  8. Munaf Patel
  9. Anil Kumble
  10. Ashish Nehra
  11. P Amarnath
Asish made both lists? I think it's a tad harsh on Parthiv, he's made a lot of starts but thrown them away, looks like he could be very capable in this format. Yusuf Pathan in for Yuvi in the studs column too.

duffer

Leading wicket-takers so far:

1. Irfan Pathan 11 @ 14.63 ER: 6.70
2. Zaheer Khan 10 @ 18.40 ER: 7.62
3. Ajit Agarkar 8 @ 19.75 ER: 7.90
4. Manpreet Gony 8 @ 21.62 ER: 8.65
5. RP Singh 8 @ 22.25 ER:8.15

:cool:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Asish made both lists? I think it's a tad harsh on Parthiv, he's made a lot of starts but thrown them away, looks like he could be very capable in this format. Yusuf Pathan in for Yuvi in the studs column too.
Nehra was a mistake. Shud have been Ishant. Corrected.

Well there are no points for throwing it away are their.

You are right about Yousuf Patel.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Leading wicket-takers so far:

1. Irfan Pathan 11 @ 14.63 ER: 6.70
2. Zaheer Khan 10 @ 18.40 ER: 7.62
3. Ajit Agarkar 8 @ 19.75 ER: 7.90
4. Manpreet Gony 8 @ 21.62 ER: 8.65
5. RP Singh 8 @ 22.25 ER:8.15

:cool:
Heavily weighted to those who have played more matches itbt. :p

Laurrz

International Debutant
Can't help but feel that Marsh is gonna make five million runs. :cool:
he's awesome, might become one of my fav cricketers.. its weird watching an Aussie bat sooooo similar to Yuvraj :mellow: its scary how similar he is to him.. i honestly cannot pick em... he did one flick shot for four and it was like whoa

he 25, thought younger :( explains his composure i suppose
gun fielder too

duffer

Can't believe it's taken Delhi this long to give Pradeep a bowl. Looked our best bowler by far at U-19 in Malaysia and is looking very impressive now too. Learning from McGrath and Lillee can only be good for him and Yo Mahesh.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Mumbai Indians are in a very strong position here. Defending a total of 162, they have the Delhi Daredevils at 87/4.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Mumbai's fielding has been terrific. One straight drive was blocked by...guess who...Nehra, and Pollock went all the way down toward the outfield to compliment him.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanath, Shoaib Malik and Karthik still struggle to score runs. Karthik out leg-before to-guess who- Dwayne Bravo- with keeper standing up.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Shaun Pollock is a strong contender for Man Of Match. He's taken two wickets for 16 and scored 33 runs at over a run a ball, with two huge sixes. I wonder how many still picked him (and as captain) despite his dreadful run of form earlier in NW18's IPL fantasy league.