• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

YankeeAlpha

Cricket Spectator
Just a quick thught on the IPL and the proposed EPL (English Premier League) I think India with the IPL have employed some good marketing skills to produce a short sharp tournement (well when compared to the world cup anyway) which appeals to many cricket fans across the world and especially in its home country. Whether you like 20-20 or not I think we can all agree that this tournement has produced some very exciting moments e.g Mcullums/Gilchrist/Hussey/Symonds hundreds and shane warnes last over heroics..However I think that the ECB with an English premier league could go one step further. I think the ECB should look at the English football premier league and its global appeal and try to simulate this with the EPL. By just looking at the English football premierhip it is often regarded as the most exciting and entertaining league in the world featuring the some of the worlds best players. If the ECB can adopt this same strategy I think they could make the EPL much more of a success than the IPL. However I do think that the EPL should not just be a 20-20 comeptition but would work better as an english domestic season featuring 20-20 and 4/5 day matches. I think in an ideal world when all international players would be free it would be a great competition.

pasag

RTDAS
Glenn McGrath:

O M R W E
4 1 21 1 5.25
4 1 22 0 5.50
4 0 29 1 7.25
4 0 29 4 7.25
4 0 21 1 5.25

I mean this is a 38 year old fast bowler who had retired from all forms of cricket over a year ago now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
A tight one here.

Edit: Actually the Deccan chokers seem to have lost this one.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaheer has struck some form here in the IPL. He's picked up at least two wickets a match, regained a lot of pace and bowled with bulldozer force to help his team's chances a lot. He's also a lot more agile on the field and his throwing arm has improved. A national recall, maybe?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
My word! Bangar hits two sixes off Kumble? And a huge one second time!

What could have been?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Kumble bowls a tight one to Shivlal Yadav Jr, winning the match with five needed off the last ball.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Zaheer has struck some form here in the IPL. He's picked up at least two wickets a match, regained a lot of pace and bowled with bulldozer force to help his team's chances a lot. He's also a lot more agile on the field and his throwing arm has improved. A national recall, maybe?
Err, he is the best Indian fast bowler. Regarding the agile aspect - Zaheer has always had a tendency to gain weight. However, he has worked a lot and makes sure that he doesn't now (as we have seen in the past 18 months or so).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not much of a recall. The only reason he wasn't in the national team was due to his injury. Otherwise, he is our best fast bowler, by far.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Not much of a recall. The only reason he wasn't in the national team was due to his injury. Otherwise, he is our best fast bowler, by far.
Err, he is the best Indian fast bowler. Regarding the agile aspect - Zaheer has always had a tendency to gain weight. However, he has worked a lot and makes sure that he doesn't now (as we have seen in the past 18 months or so).
It's just that for a senior, experienced bowler, he's often been found wanting and let the team down, so often that it takes a bad match or series to drop him in this age of Sreesanth and RP Singh. Maybe now we'll see him back for a longer time

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's just that for a senior, experienced bowler, he's often been found wanting and let the team down, so often that it takes a bad match or series to drop him in this age of Sreesanth and RP Singh. Maybe now we'll see him back for a longer time
But he hasn't been dropped.....he was not playing because he was injured.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
But he hasn't been dropped.....he was not playing because he was injured.
He was dropped during the time I mentioned, only to be brought back by a Chief Selector who said he can't find anyone in domestic cricket. He's had a good comeback, notably in Test cricket, where his comeback average of 26 is a very useful figure, but his ODI average, has been an unimpressive 34, and his ODI average post-World Cup has been like India at the World Cup- dreadful at 45. That's often tempted the selectors to keep him out of the ODI side. That said, an in-form Zaheer is a very effective bowler, and hopefully we'll see more five-wicket hauls in Tests as well as ODI's.