• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
These Indian cricketers are a disgrace. After what happend in Australia this summer we thought the aussies may have been partly to blame. Doesn't seem like it now. Gangully won't walk after an out field catch. He wouldn't walk here either, he stood his ground like a bad sport. Harbajahn is just a trouble making tool. There is no doubt in my mind now that he did racially abuse Symmonds. Cricket is supposed to be a gentlemans game and here he is b*tch slapping his own Indian team mate. What a nob. As for Sreesanth, well what can we say, what a big phony, he made headlines before he came out saying "Look out aussies I'm coming", ha what a joke, he's all talk. He's not tough after all he's just a little sook. The Indian cricket machine is getting too big for its own good now there players are starting to get caught in all the hype and think there bullet proof, all except Sreesanth that is he just wants a box of tissues and his mum.
How insightful ?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Love this article.

http://www.sportstaronnet.com/stories/20080503500500400.htm
A man of miracles

More than a year after he retired from international cricket, Shane Warne continues to show he has few equals in making things happen — in trapping lightning in a bottle, with a knowing smirk, writes S. Ram Mahesh.

Shane Warne has taken the Indian Premier League seriously. In so doing, the great leg-spinner has conferred on it a sort of legitimacy.

A line in a Guy de Maupassant story sketches a character thus: “He was a gentleman with red whiskers who always went first through a doorway”. It might have been written for Shane Warne. More than a year after he retired from international cricket, Warne continues to show he has few equals in making things happen — in trapping lightning in a bottle, with a knowing smirk.

The Indian Premier League (IPL) might be dismissed as cricket’s silly season — and that’s the charitable view — but Warne has taken it seriously. In so doing, the great leg-spinner has conferred on it a sort of legitimacy. If so devoted an advocate of Test cricket, the game’s richest, most fulfilling format, can see good in Twenty20 maybe it can be tolerated after all; the instant format has compromised cricket’s essence, but perhaps it has redeeming features that will make themselves apparent presently.

But Warne’s success with Rajasthan Royals has a greater significance: it has trained the focus, however briefly, away from the cheerleaders and the juvenile slapping, and on one of sport’s most intriguing questions. Why is it that only some can spark from nothing moments that are defining and transcendental? Or more simply, why can some get it done and not others?

Shane Warne with Deccan Chargers’ skipper V. V. S. Laxman. Warne pulled off an incredible victory for Rajasthan Royals in the final over, hoisting Andrew Symonds for two sixes.

This is an ancient question, one that has given both athletes and sportswriters much grief. About the formidable England all-rounder Wilfred Rhodes, one of cricket’s greatest ever left-arm spinners, a patron is reported to have said: “Ah, he was a good ’un Wilfred. Tha’ could walk thirty miles and reckon on him doing summat.” Similar emotions have been expressed at different times about Botham and Bradman, Court and Comaneci, Pele and Popov, Lara and Laver, Miller and Maradona, Sobers and Sampras, about Dhyan Chand, Jesse Owens, Kapil Dev, Michael Jordan — and the list is by no means comprehensive.

Despite the subjectivity inherent in such assessments, it is clear athletes who make things happen have the following qualities in varying degrees: vision, creative skill, and an elusive facility for natural expression under severe pressure. Just as importantly, they must be identified as making things happen — the act must be tangible, even if beyond comprehension.

It is immediately obvious why Warne is perceived as a man of miracles. Bowling is cricket’s only act of creation, and leg-spin, with its deviant set of motions involving arm and wrist, is the game’s most cryptic. An exceptional purveyor stands apart at once. Warne’s mix of technical virtuosity and imagination has rarely been seen. Moreover, cricket, because it is a series of distinct events interrupted by pauses, lends itself to awareness. It’s easier to identify and describe. The audience recognises that trickery is afoot, as do the writers and commentators describing it, furthering the process of legend building.

Warne willingly indulges the legend building. He exaggerates the subtleties of spin and angle of attack, playing the wheedling snake-oil salesman to perfection. Spinners more than any other sort seem to recognise the power of suggestion. “Batsmen used to say about me that I could drop the ball on a sixpence,” Wilfred Rhodes once said. “Now that’s impossible, no one can do it. I could probably hit a newspaper, spread out at that, but the point is they used to think I could hit a sixpence and I used to let them keep on thinking and that way they were mine.”

What isn’t obvious is how Warne elevates his game under pressure. His drive and ambition are expressed plainly. He is reportedly learning basic Hindi so he can communicate better with his young charges. After defeat in the first game, he sat late into the night reconfiguring his plans. “We’ve had different plans for different games,” Warne said after Rajasthan Royals’ third successive win. “The young side has bought into it, and with them being very skilful, they are executing well.”

His captaincy has been inventive and vivid — the sight of Warne counting on his fingers the overs his bowlers had left will remain one of the moments of the tournament. Clearly, he relishes the opportunity Australia grudged him.

Rajasthan Royals’ captain Shane Warne (centre) and his team-mates rejoice the fall of Irfan Pathan of Kings XI Punjab. The Aussie has breathed life into the IPL contests.

But neither his ambition nor involvement explains his success in breathing life into contests. What about Warne allows him to strike Andrew Symonds for two sixes in a final over? Typically, he said he wasn’t thinking during that over; he had allowed his excellent instincts to take over, but what makes his instincts excellent?

Steve Waugh, in his autobiography ‘Out of My Comfort Zone’, offers this insight: “Knowing Shane well, I believed he would lift in the definitive games because of who he was: a champion competitor who loves everything being on the line and the result being dependent on him. Shane needs constant support, encouragement and reassurance that he is the man, and at the 1999 World Cup that played a big part in getting him going. He loves to be loved. For the rest of us it was in a way comforting to know that even a legend needs to battle the dark forces occasionally, that no one is exempt from self-doubt.”

Waugh unfortunately reveals and occludes in equal measure — a strain that runs through the autobiography. Just as he appears poised to lay bare the inner working of an athlete’s mind under high pressure, he withdraws. Bill Tilden, the iconic tennis player, and Ayrton Senna, the luminous racer, went further than most in describing their thoughts. Yet that moment of piercing honesty, that moment that tells all, that shows how it’s done, remains obscure. And perhaps that is the point: perhaps it isn’t for us to ever know, to ever see a thing as it really is, so we may continue to glory and despair.

ret

International Debutant
after 2 weeks of cricket,

Kol seems to be losing its steam
Chennai appears to be hit after the departure of Hayden and Hussey. the scores are getting more 170ish than 200ish
B'lore is going nowhere
Hybad is struggling

Delhi continues its charge, Jaipur has been sensational, Mumbai pulls up its first win, while Mohali is showing an upward movement

North-West :thumbup:

atm, Chennai, Delhi and Jaipur look good for the semis, unless they play horrible cricket from now one .... the 4th spot is up for grabs

Laurrz

International Debutant
Chennai have most certainly lost their spark losing Hussey and Hayden... the reason they have won 4 and loss zero before this match is because their batting looked extremely imposing.. now they are right back in the pack

Delhis bowling was exceptional on an extremely flat track.. if they can restrict teams to just 170 on the flattest pitch...then ...wow

and yea Sehwag and Gambhir are the best opening combo definitely.. both in great form and are very confident players

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Great atmosphere at the ground yesterday. :)

Loved watching Sehwag bat. Chennai need to do something abt Fleming at the top. He doesn't seem to fit to T20. Vidyut at the top might be a better idea. And I still think it is our bowling that is the problem. Batting is quite alright. And honestly, Delhi are the #1 team for me too (McGrath, Sehwag and Gambhir are the main reasons), so I dont think a loss to them should hurt us much in this tournament.

irfan

State Captain
New Indian Talents XI

Well, with all they hype surrounding the perfomances of all the international stars and the indian seniors, some of the local lesser lights whom most feared would be just fill ins have shone. Whilst a couple do look a bit out of depth, there have been a few players who have fitted in seamlessly with the international players.

The rule is the player you have selected must not have played an ODI, Test or I20 for their country

1. S Marsh
2. S Dhawan
3. S Vidyut (Would have had Yusuf Pathan but he has placed in the T20 WC)
4. R Jadeja
5. A Nayar
6. L Shukla
7. R Bhatia
8. S Trivedi
9. M Gony
10. P Ojha
11. A Dinda

The likes of Tiwary, Badrinath, V Kohli should be up there but haven't had the chance/opportunities to impress so far.

irfan

State Captain

Loved watching Sehwag bat. Chennai need to do something abt Fleming at the top. He doesn't seem to fit to T20. Vidyut at the top might be a better idea. And I still think it is our bowling that is the problem. Batting is quite alright. And honestly, Delhi are the #1 team for me too (McGrath, Sehwag and Gambhir are the main reasons), so I dont think a loss to them should hurt us much in this tournament.
Naa, Flem is class, I'd prefer Parthiv to be pushed down the order as he never goes on with a start. I'd prefer a batting order of Flem, Vidyut, Dhoni, Raina, Badrinath, Albie, Parthiv,

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Naa, Flem is class, I'd prefer Parthiv to be pushed down the order as he never goes on with a start. I'd prefer a batting order of Flem, Vidyut, Dhoni, Raina, Badrinath, Albie, Parthiv,
yeah, but not sure Parthiv can hit out at the end. And at the top, he does get away the 4s... Plus, I have always rated him as a batsman, I still think he is international class as a batsman. Juz that his keeping absolutely sucks, even now...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think the lost of Hayden and Hussey will be that big. Once Morkel and Ntini find their feet in India. The bowling will look quite good and should make up for the batting loss. The batting line up needs to tweaked though with Raina and Dhoni at 3 and 4, the rest just need to bat around them. Fleming will come good just needs a chance to find his feet as well.

Delhi are a good side and haven't lost many big name players as Vettori played a small role in their side. A lost them, while we are in the working out our side for back end of tournment isn't a big deal.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year

chaminda-00 said:
I don't think the lost of Hayden and Hussey will be that big. Once Mørkel and Ntini find their feet in India. The bowling will look quite good and should make up for the batting loss. The batting line up needs to tweaked though with Raina and Dhoni at 3 and 4, the rest just need to bat around them. Fleming will come good just needs a chance to find his feet as well.
What is your opinion of Joginder? He seems to pick up a wicket in every match, and got two in one. He's a better batsman, but has never got a chance to bat. Likewise, Vidyut didn't get a bowl. And Ntini

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What is your opinion of Joginder? He seems to pick up a wicket in every match, and got two in one. He's a better batsman, but has never got a chance to bat. Likewise, Vidyut didn't get a bowl. And Ntini
Joginder for me a good bowling all rounder and add depth to batting. He isn't one that I would personally bat up the order. Decent 6-8 really, nothing more. Haven't really ever noticed anything consistent in his batting, especially in the shorter forms of game to show he is better batsmen then bowler.

Vidyut I have followed quite closely in the last couple season since he started playing for TN. A decent top order batsmen, that can bowl some decen spin. I know for TN he bascially plays as 5th bowler. But I think he better used as emergency option for Chennai. Mind you will a very much seam orientated attack, his variety could come in handy.

The non use of Badrinath and Raina with the bowl, even when the seamers are getting tonked. Does show a sign that Dhoni isn't confident going away from Plan A with the ball. That could limit Vidut bowling, but a decent option if used right.

Ntini like Fleming will be good for hit out. Still pretty confident we can win this title or least make the final.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What is your opinion of Joginder? He seems to pick up a wicket in every match, and got two in one.
I have been really impressed with him. Good swing, okay pace and unnerving accuracy. I believe that his bowling style is more suited to 50 over or 4 day cricket though.

Laurrz

International Debutant
so tonights matches..

will be barracking for Deccan and KKR (only coz of the Vics)

really wanna watch Marsh bat

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Joginder for me a good bowling all rounder and add depth to batting. He isn't one that I would personally bat up the order. Decent 6-8 really, nothing more. Haven't really ever noticed anything consistent in his batting, especially in the shorter forms of game to show he is better batsmen then bowler.
I have seen him bat a few times, and he's a very steady batsman, often relying on pinching gaps and running singles. He's not a big-hitter like the other seven prospects in each other team. He's been his team's frontline batsman in many a match, but has been a little out of form lately. Putting that together, with his bowling which lacks any pace or power, he'd be useful as a batsman, more than as a bowler, but the team for which he plays has a very strong top-six.
Vidyut I have followed quite closely in the last couple season since he started playing for TN. A decent top order batsmen, that can bowl some decen spin. I know for TN he bascially plays as 5th bowler. But I think he better used as emergency option for Chennai. Mind you will a very much seam orientated attack, his variety could come in handy.
He's often played as a sixth bowler for TN. In case the batting side is a bowler short, he will be a more-than-useful fifth bowling option.
The non use of Badrinath and Raina with the bowl, even when the seamers are getting tonked. Does show a sign that Dhoni isn't confident going away from Plan A with the ball. That could limit Vidut bowling, but a decent option if used right.
Badrinath and Raina are best not bowled in this format. T20 is hard enough on the bowlers, so we can imagine what can happen to the bits-and-pieces bowlers. Already a few have gone for over 20 in an over, notably Karan Goel. The bowlers may have had a hard time, but have still outperformed the so-called batsmen-who-can-bowl-a-bit. Vidyut, though, can bowl more than a bit.
Ntini like Fleming will be good for hit out.
Ntini has a dreadful T20 record, especially in internationals, so I'd like to know how he'd figure in the team plans.