• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

Laurrz

International Debutant
Wooo go Rajasthan
that Warne over to Boucher.... just wow.... thats why i bothered to tape the match last night... just for a few Warney overs even...
Legendary, a great article on cricinfo.... i hope the fairytale ride for Rajasthan continues

I wonder what the Indians feel of Warne now.. i know that they know he is obviously a great bowler.. but as an inspirational captain too now.. and he is coming across as a pretty nice person (always faith in his players and applauding opposition etc.) which we dont really see when he plays for the opposition (ie. Australia)

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wooo go Rajasthan
that Warne over to Boucher.... just wow.... thats why i bothered to tape the match last night... just for a few Warney overs even...
Legendary, a great article on cricinfo.... i hope the fairytale ride for Rajasthan continues

I wonder what the Indians feel of Warne now.. i know that they know he is obviously a great bowler.. but as an inspirational captain too now.. and he is coming across as a pretty nice person (always faith in his players and applauding opposition etc.) which we dont really see when he plays for the opposition (ie. Australia)
Indians love the bloke, they just love how well our lads have played him better.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Indians love the bloke, they just love how well our lads have played him better.
:dry: good point lol... come to think of it he hasnt given em much reason to dislike him like Haydos or Symo or Ponting or Clarke...
but u recn some of em think 'big arrogant boofhead aussie' (ok this is exaggeration) so maybe i wonder if this changes that view..

duffer

:dry: good point lol... come to think of it he hasnt given em much reason to dislike him like Haydos or Symo or Ponting or Clarke...
but u recn some of em think 'big arrogant boofhead aussie' (ok this is exaggeration) so maybe i wonder if this changes that view..
Well, they never thought that about Hayden untill the Harbhajan thing and he's always said nice things about India and about Sachin in particular so probably not.

pasag

RTDAS
All of them. Not Gilchrist, he's your wicketkeeper. Not Vaas, when you need wickets.

Someone mentioned playing Zoysa ahead of Afridi or Symonds before- and even said that Zoysa opens the batting in SL domestic matches.
You'd drop Symonds who just made 117 off 53 in his last match !?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd drop Symonds who just made 117 off 53 in his last match !?
And given away 45 in a little more than two overs?

We don't find too many consistent run-scorers here. It's an every-dog-has-its-day trend we're seeing, bar Sangakkara and Watson.

pasag

RTDAS
Watson is both a better batsman and bowler than Symonds - although in the shorter versions of the game that difference is smaller.

Many here, including myself :), have rated Watson highly despite his injuries and lack of show and have stated many times that once he does string some matches together he should take Symond's Test spot. To his credit, Symonds has made doing that much harder in the past 12 months. But Watson has some serious potential and I hope for Cricket and Australia he does not turn into another Shane Bond.
Yeah agreed, though Symonds averaging 70+ since his return to the Test side makes him impossible to drop for now, obv. Watson needs a full season of uninjured FC cricket under his belt first as well. *Fingers crossed*

He is a total gun though, isn't he? I remember when he was being laughed at in 2006 as a someone that just couldn't bat in the shorter format, some quality knocks in the CT, WC and now with the whole world watching in the IPL, he's really quietened a lot of detractors, though the people that hate him because he's blonde, scared of ghosts (:laugh:) will never give up, sadly.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
So? Don't bowl him, simple as. Dropping him because of his bowling is absurd, especially when the guy has just smashed a brilliant Twenty20 ton.
No doubt it was a brilliant T20 ton, but when we see the likes of McCullum and Watson in the runs, and one such innings every match (often by a different player), his overall batting figures are not significant.

That team has major bowling issues. They can't bowl teams out cheaply, and failed to defend a score over 200. They are loaded with batsmen, and it doesn't help their cause much when they concede more runs than they can score. It would have been convenient to replace the VK's, KK's and Sanjay Bangar, but there's that four-per-team limit which creates a problem. I knew they would run into this kind of danger all along.

pasag

RTDAS
No doubt it was a brilliant T20 ton, but when we see the likes of McCullum and Watson in the runs, and one such innings every match (often by a different player), his overall batting figures are not significant.

That team has major bowling issues. They can't bowl teams out cheaply, and failed to defend a score over 200. They are loaded with batsmen, and it doesn't help their cause much when they concede more runs than they can score. It would have been convenient to replace the VK's, KK's and Sanjay Bangar, but there's that four-per-team limit which creates a problem. I knew they would run into this kind of danger all along.
So get rid of one of the best limited overs bats in the world?

I acknowledge the bowling problem, so perhaps get rid of Afridi, maybe even Gilchrist who's a bit out of it at the moment and replace him with a domestic keeper, but getting rid of Symonds, especially after the other night is absurd.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Do Ponting or Dravid plan on getting any runs in this league? 4 years ago they were comfortably the best batsmen in the world, and 20/20 format aside, they can't get the pill off the square atm.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Do Ponting or Dravid plan on getting any runs in this league? 4 years ago they were comfortably the best batsmen in the world, and 20/20 format aside, they can't get the pill off the square atm.
Didn't Dravid score a fifty or something a couple games back or was it Chanderpaul.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Well, they never thought that about Hayden untill the Harbhajan thing and he's always said nice things about India and about Sachin in particular so probably not.
i spose

but atleast now they know about his captaincy/leadership prowess anyway :)

Scaly piscine

So get rid of one of the best limited overs bats in the world?

I acknowledge the bowling problem, so perhaps get rid of Afridi, maybe even Gilchrist who's a bit out of it at the moment and replace him with a domestic keeper, but getting rid of Symonds, especially after the other night is absurd.
So you acknowledge the bowling problem and suggest getting rid of one of the most effective Twenty20 bowlers?

Gilchrist is by a distance the man to go. His performances have been falling away for a while and he's done little so far.