• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Watson with a dream all-round display. MOTM easy. Can't wait to see how he'll take this into Tests.

ret

International Debutant
haha, Watson taking B'lore's attack to the cleaners

and Dravid thought 150 would be a good total on this :lol: .... Dravid and Kallis's failures are a big blow to side

GGG

State Captain
haha, Watson taking B'lore's attack to the cleaners

and Dravid thought 150 would be a good total on this :lol: .... Dravid and Kallis's failures are a big blow to side
I think most of use knew before this tournament kicked off that they weren't really suited to this format, more so Dravid as he offers nothing else. They should of picked a up someone like a Southee for a pinch and god knows why they didn't play White instead of Kallis or Chanderpaul surely he must have a injury?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Liking Watson a lot tbh, immense talent. Can't believe he went for $120k, while Symonds and Dhoni went for $1.3m and $1.5m respectively.

GGG

State Captain
Liking Watson a lot tbh, immense talent. Can't believe he went for $120k, while Symonds and Dhoni went for $1.3m and $1.5m respectively.
Wow he went for that cheap, for his sake I hope he only signed a 1 year contract. I think the powers the be should of been watching the ICL as they would of seen that youth and flair is the way to go in this format.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Watson is both a better batsman and bowler than Symonds - although in the shorter versions of the game that difference is smaller.

Many here, including myself :), have rated Watson highly despite his injuries and lack of show and have stated many times that once he does string some matches together he should take Symond's Test spot. To his credit, Symonds has made doing that much harder in the past 12 months. But Watson has some serious potential and I hope for Cricket and Australia he does not turn into another Shane Bond.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The best thing about Watson ATM is that he's actually stringing a few games together. Although I think he featured heavily in the domestic Twenty20 competition in Australia, so he obviously feels comfortable playing the shortest format of the game.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It’s a great form of the game for Watto. He only has four overs, so he bowls about three effort relatively good balls an over, the rest are half-hearted/half-tracker pies (which is fine) and he bats at four in a side which only has one good batsman in their top three (Pathan’s a front-foot slogger, a good one but still), so he has ample time to continually demonstrate his obvious immense batting talent.

Good signs for Jaipur. It’s a shame Morne Mørkel won’t be available for then they would have a real genuine wicket-taking pacemen but with the incoming Dimitri Mascarenhas, they going to have quite a few handy limited overs cricketers knocking around.

Also, with Graeme Smith being available for all the remaining games he must really fancy himself of being the eventual leading run getter. Flat wickets + piss poor medium pacers either opening the attack or in some cases being first change, means there should be no reason why he will not do it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
In regard to Bangalore, Dravid and Kallis seem to be accepting money like Laxman and Ganguly under false pretences. Can’t see Kallis surviving to the end with the likes of Misbah and White in the background.

Was also rather funny to see one of Bangalore’s chief investors lambasting the four overseas ruling for his team’s plight, suggesting that if they could field all their overseas players the results would be a completely different story.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
In regard to Bangalore, Dravid and Kallis seem to be accepting money like Laxman and Ganguly under false pretences. Can’t see Kallis surviving to the end with the likes of Misbah and White in the background.
Indeed. Not to forget Ganguly and Dravid, both are ICON players and get 15 % more than the highest paid players in their team. What a farce, the entire team selection has been.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Where I am, the cable operators tune it in on normal frequency for the duration of the game and switch it off afterwards. Thought that was happening all over India?
yeah it is happening for me from yesterday... :) but have missed a good 3 or 4 games coz of all this confusion. :(

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed. Not to forget Ganguly and Dravid, both are ICON players and get 15 % more than the highest paid players in their team. What a farce, the entire team selection has been.
This ICON player thing is a farce. They should abandon that and also restrict selection of local players within the catchment area, and also open a transfer window.

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
recycling a classic baseball match review which was printed in our college newspaper...

…considering the haste, impatience and eagerness which was exhibited by the Royal Challenger batsmen , in getting back to the dressing room, one would wonder if there was a pre-match pool-in for smuggling in a cheerleader or two in there……..

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Who would you drop from the current side to make way? Gilchirst, Afridi, Symonds or Vaas.
All of them. Not Gilchrist, he's your wicketkeeper. Not Vaas, when you need wickets.

Someone mentioned playing Zoysa ahead of Afridi or Symonds before- and even said that Zoysa opens the batting in SL domestic matches.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
All of them. Not Gilchrist, he's your wicketkeeper. Not Vaas, when you need wickets.

Someone mentioned playing Zoysa ahead of Afridi or Symonds before- and even said that Zoysa opens the batting in SL domestic matches.
That was me, but I wasn't been serious that he should replace Symonds or Afridi. Afridi is has shown he can be as effective with bowl in this format as Zoysa. Both Afridi and Symonds probably bowl faster then him as well. But when Symonds leaves he might be better bit then Gibbs or Styris with the balance of their side.