• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Chalwa > Kartik

But, 3 man spin attack ftw.
Less said (and seen) of Kartik the better. No match is complete without the batting side hitting three sixes off Kartik, and that's set back the Indian team in many a match- especially when they lack striking power, are bowled out cheaply or play a low-scoring match.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It's MI who join Chargers at the bottom .... this loss is going to hurt MI's NRR too

Ronchi keeps getting RO!!!! .... someone should tell these guys that it's less risker to go over the top than sneak a single in the powerplays. why can't he just try to blast his way to a 30 or 40, and in trying to do that he if gets out then its understandable, whats the point in getting RO in a 20T game, where the opposition is happy to give away the singles

and brilliant stuff by Sangakara and Lee. one batted like a champ and the other bowled like one. will be interesting to see who gets the MoM .... Rocking performance by the Kings

PS looking at the highlights, it was Uthappa who ran out Ronchi. In the Ist game too Uthappa ran out Jayasuriya, who in the 2nd game RO Ronchi, iirc. now may be its Ronchi's turn to RO someone
Ronchi shouldn't get another match. Three failures. Three defeats. One class bowler sitting out. One domestic option who isn't too bad to choose.

masterblaster

International Captain
The state Indian pace is in (Sreesanth's temper, Munaf's lethargy, Agarkar's small size, Joginder's lack of pace, RP's lack of form, Zaheer's injury and Irfan's old-ball issues), the sooner he gets back, the better.
Much rather have Praveen Kumar in my side Arjun. My ideal test lineup would probably be:

Ishant Sharma
Praveen Kumar
Anil Kumble
Murali Kartik/Piyush Chawla

No place for Harbhajan, Sreesanth, Munaf or VRV Singh.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Mumbai Indians seem to have no gameplan what so ever and all the players are playing like a bunch of dorks, they just need to calm down a little bit and do their basics right and that would then certainly help them put up a better show, Ronchi has been unlucky so far in the IPL, got out in the first game courtesy to a superb catch and then got run-out in the next two games, Ronchi is a smart buy by the Mumbai Indians and on his day he could be destructive, so i hope his luck turns around in the upcoming games.
Mumbai Indians' three consecutive defeats is shocking, especially when you know they're owned by a very shrewd Indian businessman and coached by someone who's won a lot. The team dynamics are quite bad, and injuries to key players (notably Malinga, Dilhara and now Tendulkar) have set them back severely. Their replacements (Musavir, Vikrant and Bravo) have not been up to the mark, save Dhaval Kulkarni- and he too is not a safe pick. It is time Lalu and Mukesh come together and decide on some match-winning plans with this bunch, rather than bank on star power to bail them out- because it hasn't.

Saurabh Tiwary should be yanked by his long locks and ordered to stick to a plan, not just keep hitting things out of the park, and to negotiate with his senior partner. Uthappa should open, and be made to run four straight, long sprints for throwing his wicket away cheaply yet again- when in doubt, go straight. The coaching and support staff have to draft a plan for Pinal Shah, who will be a key player for this team in some time. Seriously, with such a strong team, they shouldn't be losing so much.

masterblaster

International Captain
Less said (and seen) of Kartik the better. No match is complete without the batting side hitting three sixes off Kartik, and that's set back the Indian team in many a match- especially when they lack striking power, are bowled out cheaply or play a low-scoring match.
What about his 5 wicket hauls in Tests and ODIs against Australia?

I do know that the Australian team and press here rates Murali Kartik very, very highly. Sure spinners get hit for sixes, Harbhajan gets hit for plenty too as does Piyush. Kartik has a better cricketing brain than both Harbhajan and Piyush. Sadly he's underrated by many on these boards without much statistical foundation to back it up.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I do know that the Australian team and press here rates Murali Kartik very, very highly. Sure spinners get hit for sixes, Harbhajan gets hit for plenty too as does Piyush. Kartik has a better cricketing brain than both Harbhajan and Piyush. Sadly he's underrated by many on these boards without much statistical foundation to back it up.
with Arjun, it seems he is biased against the name "kartik" and its various spellings... :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What is the status of Dilhara and Malinga? Seemed prize selections when picked by Reliance...and they are, for this team.
Malinga out for whole series and was replaced by Bravo. It is hoped that Dilhara will be fit once Bravo leaves and if not they will have to draft in another bowler or play Thornley as the 4th overseas player. It is unlikely Dilhara will be fit for this series and I hope he doesn't play personally. But he is still 50/50 and might be ok in a week or two. Should have really been withdrawn, but after Malinga pulled out they were just hoping he could plat 2-3 games at the end and maybe the semis. With their semi chances gone, they really should just bring in another bowler.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The state Indian pace is in (Sreesanth's temper, Munaf's lethargy, Agarkar's small size, Joginder's lack of pace, RP's lack of form, Zaheer's injury and Irfan's old-ball issues), the sooner he gets back, the better.
Hopefully, the IPL also discovers some Indian fast bowling talent who can be groomed for future places. Two talented bowlers who I have spotted are Ashok Dinda and Manpreet Gony. The former seems to be a generally good swing bowler whereas Gony has some pace and bounce about him as well as a good List A record.

I think that VRV Singh bowled okay yesterday but I always get the impression that he could be bowling faster, he just doesn't seem to be letting it all go at the crease. That being said, he still bowls at 135-142kph.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Much rather have Praveen Kumar in my side Arjun. My ideal test lineup would probably be:

Ishant Sharma
Praveen Kumar
Anil Kumble
Murali Kartik/Piyush Chawla

No place for Harbhajan, Sreesanth, Munaf or VRV Singh.
That's a very weak, under-manned bowling attack. They can't take 20 Test wickets. Either you go in with Harbhajan (with over 250), or play a fifth bowler. If you still wish to stretch your batting, pick someone like Joginder or Bhatia, both of whom are recognised batsmen for their teams, and both of whom have bowled very well in IPL so far.

You've got Chawla and Kartik as options- stick to Chawla. He'll smash a few runs to make up for runs smashed off him, and he's very good on the field. Both he and Kumar can bat, so a fifth bowler can come in- but an in-form, in-the-wickets Irfan would help a lot, lot more.

masterblaster

International Captain
That's a very weak, under-manned bowling attack. They can't take 20 Test wickets. Either you go in with Harbhajan (with over 250), or play a fifth bowler. If you still wish to stretch your batting, pick someone like Joginder or Bhatia, both of whom are recognised batsmen for their teams, and both of whom have bowled very well in IPL so far.

You've got Chawla and Kartik as options- stick to Chawla. He'll smash a few runs to make up for runs smashed off him, and he's very good on the field. Both he and Kumar can bat, so a fifth bowler can come in- but an in-form, in-the-wickets Irfan would help a lot, lot more.
Oh absolutely, Irfan would be in the mix as the fifth bowler. I didn't include Irfan as I tend to classify him as a bowling all rounder rather than a front line bowler. A pace attack of Praveen Kumar and Ishant Sharma would take more wickets than an attack comprising of Munaf, Sreesanth and RP Singh. Just take the recent test series against South Africa, Sreesanth and RP had absolutely shocking matches.

masterblaster

International Captain
Hopefully, the IPL also discovers some Indian fast bowling talent who can be groomed for future places. Two talented bowlers who I have spotted are Ashok Dinda and Manpreet Gony. The former seems to be a generally good swing bowler whereas Gony has some pace and bounce about him as well as a good List A record.

I think that VRV Singh bowled okay yesterday but I always get the impression that he could be bowling faster, he just doesn't seem to be letting it all go at the crease. That being said, he still bowls at 135-142kph.
Agreed, both are impressive. Will be interesting to see how they fare in the rest of this tournament as well as in first class cricket.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year

One five-wicket haul and he's the next Murali or Warne? From what I've seen of him (I often supported his selection, until he became a big liability), he's a highly temperamental spinner, who never bowls to his field. In low-scoring matches, he's been pounced upon and the Indian team, rolled over. He's a nightmare for his own team on flat pitches, and misses his step way too often for a spinner.

I wonder what statistical backing I'll need. He averages a hefty 34.16 in Tests, with no five-wicket hauls. He's taken a single, solitary five-wicket haul in ODI's against the Aussies, but in the very next match, at least five sixes were hit off him (including three by Gilly in an over) in a low-scoring match, reducing it to a no-contest. You can't win matches with a bowler with an average of 43. We don't know what value he'll add to the team, to win matches, but so far, he's only looked a weak link.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed, both are impressive. Will be interesting to see how they fare in the rest of this tournament as well as in first class cricket.
The IPL has thrown up some interesting prospects for India-
  • Manpreet Gony - Tall, steady seamer.
  • Ashok Dinda - Slightly faster, not so tall, but still frugal
  • Joginder Sharma - He's made a habit of bowling steady last overs and picks wickets from nowhere. And he's a frontline batsman.
  • Yusuf Pathan - Shane Warne knows what he can do best.
  • Dhaval Kulkarni - Small man, but he's bowled well against tough teams.
  • Abhishek Nayar - Looked calm under pressure, and packed a punch. He can also bowl steady seam-up.
  • Suresh Raina - Remember him?
  • Rajat Bhatia - Often ignored in favour of more illustrious teammates, he's been unusually effective with slow-medium pacers.
  • Shikhar Dhawan - Once a prospect, again a prospect.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh absolutely, Irfan would be in the mix as the fifth bowler. I didn't include Irfan as I tend to classify him as a bowling all rounder rather than a front line bowler. A pace attack of Praveen Kumar and Ishant Sharma would take more wickets than an attack comprising of Munaf, Sreesanth and RP Singh. Just take the recent test series against South Africa, Sreesanth and RP had absolutely shocking matches.
Maybe take more wickets, but not enough to win matches. These attacks don't have the power that even Srinath, Prasad and Kumble had in the past. Man for man, none of them match any of these strikers, so a four-bowler team is under-manned. They need a fifth bowler who'll rest the arms of the main four, and also take a wicket or two. If you can't play five bowlers, play a batsman as one of the bowlers until you get the right choice of player.

masterblaster

International Captain
One five-wicket haul and he's the next Murali or Warne? From what I've seen of him (I often supported his selection, until he became a big liability), he's a highly temperamental spinner, who never bowls to his field. In low-scoring matches, he's been pounced upon and the Indian team, rolled over. He's a nightmare for his own team on flat pitches, and misses his step way too often for a spinner.

I wonder what statistical backing I'll need. He averages a hefty 34.16 in Tests, with no five-wicket hauls. He's taken a single, solitary five-wicket haul in ODI's against the Aussies, but in the very next match, at least five sixes were hit off him (including three by Gilly in an over) in a low-scoring match, reducing it to a no-contest. You can't win matches with a bowler with an average of 43. We don't know what value he'll add to the team, to win matches, but so far, he's only looked a weak link.
I never said he would be the next Warne. Arjun you are taking that to an extreme there. He's done pretty well in my estimation due to the irregular chances that he's gotten. He never once had the support of Sourav Ganguly when he was captain, being in and out of the side constantly and only getting in if Harbhajan or Kumble were injured.

Had he had more opportunities, better fielders in the Indian lineup and more faith from his captains he would've ended up with a better average. He's one of those tricky players who are far better than their average. If you want to measure the capability of a player based on average, all well and good but I definitely think had Murali gotten as many chances as Harbhajan did he would've had a better career than Harbhajan.