• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I guess this is one of the reasons why test cricket may not be the most marketable game around. Kallis is doing exactly what the team requires of him and he is putting them in an unbeatable position but to watch the game drift on like this in such situations can be pretty boring for most fans except for the real hardcore supporters. I like to consider myself a pretty hardcore cricket fan but even I wouldn't be exactly hooked on to watching this kind of a session, even if the roles were reversed and it was Dravid and Dhoni grinding RSA in. It is great cricket but I don't think it is exactly something that will get people hooked to the telly to watch it......

Mainly because the opposing captain and bowlers seem to have given up. When that happens, cricket is almost always a bore to watch. Obviously, I am just guessing here, but it does seem to me that the Indians have kinda given up.....

pasag

RTDAS
I think the concept of 'sarchasm' aptly applies here :p

Good stuff from Kallis and AB, haven't let their bowlers down and have professionally seen an end to the match and ensured, in all probability, that their side cannot lose the series, more importantly meaning I cannot lose my avatar

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I could point out that this is timely evidence for why every partnership between batsmen is valuable, how 1 partnership can transform an innings and how to expect only the top 5 to score runs is crazy and dangerous. I could, but I won't. :)

haroon510

International 12th Man
I guess this is one of the reasons why test cricket may not be the most marketable game around. Kallis is doing exactly what the team requires of him and he is putting them in an unbeatable position but to watch the game drift on like this in such situations can be pretty boring for most fans except for the real hardcore supporters. I like to consider myself a pretty hardcore cricket fan but even I wouldn't be exactly hooked on to watching this kind of a session, even if the roles were reversed and it was Dravid and Dhoni grinding RSA in. It is great cricket but I don't think it is exactly something that will get people hooked to the telly to watch it......

Mainly because the opposing captain and bowlers seem to have given up. When that happens, cricket is almost always a bore to watch. Obviously, I am just guessing here, but it does seem to me that the Indians have kinda given up.....
exactly.. right on man agree with u.... i believe if the fan isn't hooked on to the game then what is the point of playing the game..and plus indian bowlers have already given up.. so why not play some shot and increase the run rate..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
OK. But are you still as confident that England will beat SA this summer?
South Africa doesnt worry me. Its the team England put out that would be the biggest issue.

I still believe England are certainly capable of beating SA but I think 20 wickets will be tough to take with the bowling attack put out last time.

haroon510

International 12th Man
and it seems like Kallis can't handle playing a couple of big shots... he is bowled by Sreesanth..

SA 373/5

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
exactly.. right on man agree with u.... i believe if the fan isn't hooked on to the game then what is the point of playing the game..and plus indian bowlers have already given up.. so why not play some shot and increase the run rate..
because playing the way Kallis is doing will aggravate the agony, so to speak, for the Indian bowlers. Spending so much time in the heat, running up and bowling over after over, with no real hopes of a wicket, and for the fielders, running after the ball so much in the heat.... All of these intangibles will add up and eventually give RSA a huge advantage apart from the lead they are going to end up getting and it will play a part when the Indians bat as well.. They will be tired as hell and might get out. Their footwork wasn't flash against pace even when they were supposedfly fresh in the first innings, I can only imagine how bad it would be after spending two and a half days fielding in the sun.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Grr, I so much want to disagree. But when a test goes into this battle of attrition phase, it only really neutral purists or fans of the winning team that are interested. I'm a-okay with Kallis taking as long as he wants, if it were Dravid grinding off another 100, then I'd have stopped watching long ago.

But in the same vein, I also don't care about batsmen going along at 5 an over in a test, it's nice, but it's also boring to see the bowlers being pummeled for a whole day. The best tests tend to be the low-mid scoring ones. The best one dayers too, that crazy day in Joburg excepted.

Rather than run rates, Cricket needs to work on making less matches total blowouts. I'd rather have a 20/20 with both teams coming close to 150 than one team making 250 and shooting the other out for 100.

R_D

International Debutant
Is this great kiwi mentality that just cost your team a series loss at home against Eng.

Thr guys are doing great, just what is need right now :)
Pretty sure it was sarcastic remark as those same feelings were vented towards Dravid in last match.... which to certain extent was justified... situations were total different for Dravid compared to Kallis.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I hope India comes out and bat will have Kallis' mentality and Dravid's techniques and don't score runs, just tank the crease for as long as it takes for a draw. :ph34r:

Actually, here's a (stupid?) idea. Why don't ICC explore a new rule that punishes batsmen who 'stall' scoring runs in tests? And do the same for bowlers who consistently bowl negative lines. Similar to no-balls scenario.

Last edited:

TazzX

U19 12th Man
Pretty sure it was sarcastic remark as those same feelings were vented towards Dravid in last match.... which to certain extent was justified... situations were total different for Dravid compared to Kallis.

ohh dear :laugh:

Protean

State Regular
So sad that I missed this innings from AB, been waiting for another big one from him. Anyway a good day from SA, can't wait to see the bowlers back in tomorrow. :)