• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

PY

International Coach
Been roaring along, good job I'm ill or else going to bed would be more exciting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not all England's fault either; it's a no-brainer that the batsman was going to kick the ball away when Vettori went over the wicket.
Cannot fathom why Vettori would have wanted to bowl so much as a single delivery over-the-wicket TBH. Makes no sense whatsoever under these circumstances.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Interesting comment on cricinfo that the scoring rate is partly due to the kookabura ball as well as the pitch. Thoughts?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, I dont mind the turgid nature of this partnership. There is nothing to come afterwards and they need to make this last. However, still dropped in it with yesterdays batting.

chalky

International Debutant
What are people's initial thought's on Ambrose's batting?

This is first live cricket I have seen this test but he looks reasonably competant but seems to play around his front pad a bit to Martin. I could see him struggle against extra pace or some inswing.

chalky

International Debutant
God Willis is terrible - love him as studion analyser but as a commentator it's like listening to someone scrape their nails across a blackboard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What are people's initial thought's on Ambrose's batting?

This is first live cricket I have seen this test but he looks reasonably competant but seems to play around his front pad a bit to Martin. I could see him struggle against extra pace or some inswing.
I've always rated Ambrose as a batsman, since I first saw him in 2001. Very much hope he can become Test-class.

And he gets dropped by McCullum.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting comment on cricinfo that the scoring rate is partly due to the kookabura ball as well as the pitch. Thoughts?
Dukes FTW, clearly.
A good ball will take a flat pitch out of the equation, provided the bowlers can use it.

I've always said the ball is more important than the pitch.

The Kookaburra is a pathetic cricket-ball. I hate it. It's no coincidence that the widespread use of it (was restricted to Australia when I first started watching UIMM) has coincided with the stupid increase in scoring.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems bizarre to me that McCullum's standing up to Oram. He's been very cheap and he's probably 5-10kmph too fast to be standing up to. Have a go, why not, but when its not causing the batsmen any problems then go back to the normal position.

chalky

International Debutant
I've always rated Ambrose as a batsman, since I first saw him in 2001. Very much hope he can become Test-class.

And he gets dropped by McCullum.
TBH if he can average 30 & take the catches & stumpings that you would expect a test keeper to take (which would put him ahead of his predecessors) that would do for me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Reckon he can do far better than that, I really do. Ambrose is a seriously impressive batsman.

And this innings - until that edge - was a very good one indeed. Played the surface perfectly.

Finally we get an lbw. Collingwood gone to Oram, Oram finally has 50 wickets. Looks like the 1st lbw of the match may be a shocker.