• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I was up until tea time and was expecting England to be in worse trouble when i got up this morning,

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
How long did people stay with this game yesterday? I managed about one and half hours until I fell asleep and in that time I saw one good shot from the captain and almost no chances created by the New Zealanders.

Just watching the highlights now and they could even make one hour’s worth of condensed footage interesting. Martin Crowe spent the best part of his commentary stint discussing ball tampering, Pakistan and Pringle.
Haha, really? Was absorbed.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Earlier in the day it was a bit dull, but as I say (probably about 30-40 posts or so ago) it livened-up with Vettori and Patel bowling at Pietersen and Bell. Both of them were looking dangerous, you knew New Zealand were right on top if they could force another breakthrough or three, and the batsmen had to keep their wits about them to keep them out - which they managed.

Mills bowled one absolutely unbelievable delivery at Pietersen with the new-ball too. Shortly after the new-ball was taken, I went to bed, not through dissatisfaction with the cricket but through tiredness (have generally had to be up at 8:30-9 through this match so don't really want to leave it much later than 1:30-2 to head to bed). And so I don't know what things were like during the Collingwood-Ambrose partnership.

Was vaguely interesting, FWIW, to hear Crowe talk of the Pringle-Pakistan incident - have only ever read briefly about it before. And not sure whether there's easily-available footage as far back as 1990\91.
Yeah, it was a more interesting story than what was actually happening on the field but whenever commentators discuss what they had for dinner last night and if they were drinking red or white, you kinda get the impression they too have lost the will to live.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Only Test I'd ever imagine losing the will to live watching would be one of the first 2 Pakistan-India Tests in 2005\06 TBH.

This game has meandered of times in the first couple of days, but yesterday was easily the best day of the game so far, IMO.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, I'm going to put my 'Caribbean Calypso' and 'Cape Crusader' DVDs somewhere safe.

A recorded instance of an England series victory away from home is now a rare and precious thing.

Even a single away test victory is a long distant memory!

I awake every morning and switch on the TV in trepidation, wishing I could start the day without a headline of "England struggle....." :wacko:

Woodster

International Captain
Very interesting days play, if not exactly flush with boundaries and wickets.

Thought Patel and Vettori were outstanding, there variations, accuracy, drift on the ball and gboth got the odd one to really rip. Think KP and co. were trying to disrupt their rhythm, KP skipped down the track a few times but the NZ spinners kep their nerve and bowled beautifully. Colly was decent (as was KP) later in the day and Ambrose offered great support, considering he's on debut.

Could England have been more aggressive ? Well, possibly imo. Again I'm not suggesting slogging the bowlers out of their groove, but the rotation of strike was sadly missing. Commentators constantly referred to a batsman like Graham Thorpe being required, and I think someone with that knack of finding the gaps, angling the bat, was missing for us.

Nishant

International 12th Man
i didnt watch enough of the days play to suggest that england should have been more aggresive....but it seems to me that the batsmen went out at the wrong time TBH....a lot of good solid starts were made...like by KP etc....but the fact that these players then went out could be a reason why england did not press on with the run rate....innings would require rebuilding etc.....plus this pitch is not that easy to bat on ATM....so new batsmen need to take time to settle in. If u take that into consideration, then england did a fair job 2day!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Y'know, Harmison almost looks like he's about to cry as Hussain interviews him before the fourth day. One of the most revealing interviews I've ever seen from a cricketer.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
The guy sounds like he's right on the edge of having a breakdown. Very sad, I think he needs to give up sooner rather than later or grow a backbone

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What was said?
Possibly the most revealing suggestion yet that Harmison simply isn't cut-out for international cricket.

I can't recall absolutely, but the overwhelming thing that comes-out, I think, is the fact that his family comes before playing cricket for England. He said, at least 4 times, that he doesn't regret staying home for the recent birth of his child. Often, he seemed to be struggling for words. No shortage of honesty "I'm playing for my place, yes". Talked about retiring from one-day cricket, again, emphasising "because my family comes before cricket". Yet he also said not long after "playing cricket for England is the most important thing to me". When Hussain asks him "do you want the new-ball?" he responds "would you give me it, Nass?" Hussain says, of course (even though he rarely took wickets in his new-ball spell) "if you're bowling like you were in West Indies, yes". They then talk about Hoggard and Sidebottom being enhanced more by the new-ball than Harmison.

I hope they replay that sometime. If I manage to hear about it in advance, I think I'll be recording it, and putting it on YouTube, because anyone who has formed an opinion about Harmison should listen to that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The guy sounds like he's right on the edge of having a breakdown. Very sad, I think he needs to give up sooner rather than later or grow a backbone
Not sure about that TBH, as I said, sounded almost close to tears, but doesn't strike me as mentally "crushed" or anything. Confused, worried, yes. Unstable, no.

If anything, the fact that he seems to have his priorities right - whatever happens with my cricket career, I've got something more important - should stand him in good stead.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Anyone would think Harmison was the only one with a family playing cricket, others seem to cope well enough, especially those only playing one format. he needs to stop whinging and get on with his job. It's not just this interview, it happens evry series away from home. Its not that I dont have any simpathy, just im fed up of hearing him and others go on about it all.

I'll be amazed if he's on next winters tours aswell - anyone feel otherwise?:dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not everyone prioritises in the same way. Nor does everyone have the same family. There's a big difference between having a wife\girlfriend\fiancee and one kid and having a family of four or five.

As I say - Harmison may well not be cut-out, at all, for the thing that is international cricket - even just the one form. But the way some people talk, you'd think this makes him some awful excuse for a human-being: terms like "whinging"; "grow a backbone" and the like. If Harmison doesn't have what it takes to be an international cricketer, say that and leave it at that. And leave him to do what he wants to do without lambasting him for his choices.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Sportsmen are people too. He probably just doesnt like the lifestyle / limelight and would be happier with a normal 9-5 job. Cant blame him for that. Its not his fault the selectors keep picking him :@

PY

International Coach
I'm on the edge of my seat. Got to do something to rotate the strike, it's as if they have forgotten that you can score runs that aren't boundaries.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Not everyone prioritises in the same way. Nor does everyone have the same family. There's a big difference between having a wife\girlfriend\fiancee and one kid and having a family of four or five.

As I say - Harmison may well not be cut-out, at all, for the thing that is international cricket - even just the one form. But the way some people talk, you'd think this makes him some awful excuse for a human-being: terms like "whinging"; "grow a backbone" and the like. If Harmison doesn't have what it takes to be an international cricketer, say that and leave it at that. And leave him to do what he wants to do without lambasting him for his choices.
If he's not cut out for it he needs to realise this and give up the game, not keep dragging down englands performances. Thats what I mean when I say grow a backbone, if he thinks he needs to be with his family all year then fair enough, just admit it and go away. Make a decision. In the interview as the commentators pointed out, he says he thinks playing for england is the most important thing after saying that his family is the most important. He needs to pull himself together and make a decision because it is pulling England down with him at the moment. Not being able to make that decision after years on the team does make him less of a human being imo btw. Wanting to be with ones family does not. Life is all about making decisions after all and he has a pretty good one if truth be told...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyway, in the game itself, the day starts with 28 consecutive dot-balls (though a bye is run off 1 of them) before Collingwood nudges a single to leg.

Definate signs England are looking simply at crease-occupation - several eminently pullable balls turned-down by both batsmen. And you know what? They've often looked far more ill-at-ease trying to weave\stand-up-and-play than they would with the cross-bat strokes. It's understandible, especially after Sri Lanka, to want to cut-out risk. But honestly, there are times when defending can be more risky than attacking.

EDIT: Young beats me to it. :@
I'm on the edge of my seat. Got to do something to rotate the strike, it's as if they have forgotten that you can score runs that aren't boundaries.

Last edited: