• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know, this really reminds me of a game in 1999\2000 in South Africa, where BC Cooray (in the days when he was still a good Ump) refused lbw after lbw, then finally gave Hussain out on the fourth day when he'd edged it for four without ever touching the pad.

Collingwood one definately hitting, but everyone seems sure there was inside-edge, least of all Collingwood. EDIT: doesn't seem to have been an inside-edge at all. Mr Harper, a few people owe you an apology. :)

chalky

International Debutant
You know, this really reminds me of a game in 1999\2000 in South Africa, where BC Cooray (in the days when he was still a good Ump) refused lbw after lbw, then finally gave Hussain out on the fourth day when he'd edged it for four without ever touching the pad.
Collingwood one definately hitting, but everyone seems sure there was inside-edge, least of all Collingwood.

Remember that out Bat Before Wicket think it was Lance Klusner bowling couldn't believe he even appealed TBH. Naser Hussain could really find some strange ways of getting out. I remember him getting a few grubbers and comical run outs around that 97 - 01 period.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't remember that much before the winter of 2000\01, but he got more misfortune that winter than any batsman I can ever recall in 1 season.

And yeah, it was Klusener bowling in said Cooray game in 1999\2000. And coincidentally enough, Cooray's decision started a nightmare run for Hussain - which he then ended by wrongly giving him not-out twice at Kandy in March 2001.

chalky

International Debutant
Reckon he can do far better than that, I really do. Ambrose is a seriously impressive batsman.

And this innings - until that edge - was a very good one indeed. Played the surface perfectly.
As I siad earlier if he does that, & as long as he can take his catches & stumpings, he will definately be an improvement to the side.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I felt the LBW was actually OK, but Crowe's making a song and dance about it being well outside the context of other LBW decisions during the match. If umpires are assessing one LBW by how they've made decision during the match, that would be wrong. Judge each one on its merits.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I siad earlier if he does that, & as long as he can take his catches & stumpings, he will definately be an improvement to the side.
He will. It's just frustrating that Prior ever got in Sussex's team ahead of him. Had he (Ambrose) started playing like he did last season in 2002, and never let Prior get in the Sussex side, he'd probably have been in in 2003 instead of Geraint Jones.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oram 20 overs for 23. :-O Pretty impressive.

BTW, I've spied a certain Kent fan by the name of Tom reading this thread a fair bit of late, without so much as 1 post. Why so quiet fella?

PY

International Coach
370 and I'll be happy with the match situation to be honest, would make things more exciting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
maybe a few shots from the tail? Or will they stodge it out aswell?
Don't think we need to guess on Sidebottom and MSP, we know how they play.

Imagine Harmison would play a few shots of course, which probably means he won't last very long. *Cue him scoring 32 off 34 balls*

Jeys, Tim Ambrose's sisters ain't bad, so to speak.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
A mate of mine was sitting next to them yesterday. He ensured he's got the same spot again today. :D