• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Down the track for 4, why cant they do that more often? It's the same length bowling theyve been sending down for 2 days. Its almost playing by numbers, except the one where they attack is about every 50th number....8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he's not cut out for it he needs to realise this and give up the game, not keep dragging down englands performances. Thats what I mean when I say grow a backbone, if he thinks he needs to be with his family all year then fair enough, just admit it and go away. Make a decision. In the interview as the commentators pointed out, he says he thinks playing for england is the most important thing after saying that his family is the most important. He needs to pull himself together and make a decision because it is pulling England down with him at the moment. Not being able to make that decision after years on the team does make him less of a human being imo btw. Wanting to be with ones family does not. Life is all about making decisions after all and he has a pretty good one if truth be told...
You've had the experience of having to make a choice between one thing you are exceptionally fond of, and have strived for years and years to do to a high standard (almost certainly, IMO, a higher standard than you are capable of), and another which is THE most important thing in your life?

I somewhat doubt it. Not many do.

To agonise over it, and to put things off for so long as you possibly can, is not unusual, nor unforgiveable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Down the track for 4, why cant they do that more often? It's the same length bowling theyve been sending down for 2 days. Its almost playing by numbers, except the one where they attack is about every 50th number....8-)
I don't blame them for being reluctant to advance to the spinners. I'm 100% confident that if they'd been trying that regularly yesterday they'd have been all-out before Tea.

This is the sort of surface where caution is almost always the way to play the spinners, IMO, and especially when they've bowled as well as Vettori and Patel have this game.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
You've had the experience of having to make a choice between one thing you are exceptionally fond of, and have strived for years and years to do to a high standard (almost certainly, IMO, a higher standard than you are capable of), and another which is THE most important thing in your life?

I somewhat doubt it. Not many do.

To agonise over it, and to put things off for so long as you possibly can, is not unusual, nor unforgiveable.
I agree with that, certainly not unforgivable, but it doesnt exactly make you much of a person either.

Collingwood nearing fifty and starting to bat with more purpose, maybe we might break 60 in the session?:-O

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Snore.

Bryan Waddle nearly jumped out of his seat when England took their first single today.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Collingwood nearing fifty and starting to bat with more purpose, maybe we might break 60 in the session?:-O
Collingwood also starting to drive, and play-and-miss, a bit.

Either way, he defends, finally edges, but completes his half-century.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will you be complaining if this results in a New Zealand victory?

I'm somewhat amazed you're complaining about your team bowling well - about as well as you could really expect them to bowl on this surface.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Collingwood also starting to drive, and play-and-miss, a bit.

Either way, he defends, finally edges, but completes his half-century.
Its nice to see a few play and misses dont ye think? Better than the leaves anyway, as long as they dont nick one.

And here's David Lloyd, the worst commentator period. At least theyve paired him with beefy.:mellow:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Where did I ever say that I was complaining about NZ's bowling?

NZ's bowling very well but in between times, it's pretty dead pan stuff from England.
They decided this was a draw on a day one I reckon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Day one? No way. Midway through day two? Maybe.

So we should go for a victory we feel we cannot achieve, then? Should we jeopardise our chances in the series by playing in a way that gives us a bigger chance of losing than not losing?

If you're going to say this isn't exciting enough, blame those responsible for the pitch, not the batsmen for playing the pitch well. But as I said earlier - I think this is moreoreless exactly the sort of surface that gives New Zealand their best chance, though, so if I were a Kiwi I wouldn't be moaning too much there either.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The reason why the pitch is like this is because a couple of years ago Hamilton was blocked from international cricket because the pitch was deemed too dangerous. This is it's first test match in a number of years and I think the groundsman decided to go on the cautious side this time around. He'll no doubt be disappointed with it, but it's probably better this way than both teams being shot out for 100 each or something.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Guess we're playing for the draw now :D We'll be looking to bat out the last 2 sessions tomorrow to draw it. Thats if we arent bowled out too fast today.

Last edited:

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
The reason why the pitch is like this is because a couple of years ago Hamilton was blocked from international cricket because the pitch was deemed too dangerous. This is it's first test match in a number of years and I think the groundsman decided to go on the cautious side this time around. He'll no doubt be disappointed with it, but it's probably better this way than both teams being shot out for 100 each or something.
Maybe good for NZ and TV companies but I love to see bowlers pitches. They're such a rarity these days whenyou see a green pitch you want to jump for joy.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Why not declare now, put it back on Vettori, would he score another 80 odd runs and let England chase 280 odd on the final day?

Come on, let's see something happen here.
I'd rather see both sides put up a challenge and risk seeing an NZ loss than watching another day of this.

chalky

International Debutant
I hope they replay that sometime. If I manage to hear about it in advance, I think I'll be recording it, and putting it on YouTube, because anyone who has formed an opinion about Harmison should listen to that.
You have your wish repeated at lunch time

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know why you'd think the NZ team would be promoting pitches like this one.

To be honest, they may be keen on the greener pitches where it becomes a bit more of a low scoring lottery.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
I don't know why you'd think the NZ team would be promoting pitches like this one.

To be honest, they may be keen on the greener pitches where it becomes a bit more of a low scoring lottery.
Because they are doing well on it? On a green seamer I think hoggard would be much tougher to face, even if undercooked and sidebottom would come into his own. As has been said, NZs best chance of winning is on a pitch like this.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's pretty soporific stuff, it must be said.

Not all England's fault either; it's a no-brainer that the batsman was going to kick the ball away when Vettori went over the wicket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's fair enough, of course. I recall very well the infamous game against South Africa. If that's the sole reason for this surface, fair do's to all involved.

But I still think surfaces like this give NZ their best chance. Maybe a bit more turn. I think England on a green seamer, or on a very easy-paced surface encouraging quick scoring, would probably come-out on top.