• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Tait quits cricket

taitmachine

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
He'll be back when he feels OK again. He is still young and some time off could be the best thing for him.

I will be a little concerned if he suddenly pops up in the Indian 20/20 games though.

Flem274*

123/5
I suspect he's a bit of a confidence player like Lou Vincent. Recently Lucky Lou took a month off to recover from exhaustion after he was dropped. Its only a suspicion but the reasons the two players have stated are similar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah good piece, agree completely.

Many people have said often enough that you don't do bowling fast without pain. Not everyone can cope with it.

Everyone with the spirit of cricket in their souls should wish Tait well. And accept that whatever he chooses to do is his choice.

RhyZa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Personally, I couldnt think of a worse profession than a top flight athlete.
I had to read that line again just to make sure, but I can't help but disagree with this.

As much as I sympathise and identify with Tait (or as much as we know about his situation) it is being 'soft'. Not to recognise it as such takes credit away from those who possess the ability and mentality to deal with such situations.
I don't think the former is necessary in order to carry out the latter at all. This seems to be a very negative, uncompromising perspective IMO.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I suspect he's a bit of a confidence player like Lou Vincent. Recently Lucky Lou took a month off to recover from exhaustion after he was dropped. Its only a suspicion but the reasons the two players have stated are similar.
There must be something they put in young cricketers' breakfasts in Adelaide...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How was my post jumping to conclusions? I was throwing some thoughts out there - certainly wasn't saying my ideas were exactly what had happened.

****, I hate the sugary-sweetness bull**** on here sometimes.
:laugh: :laugh:

Now now Volty...did I tell you I rated you in my top 10 best friends who were the greatest funny posters I've never met with the highest IQ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Very sad news, with the ODI's coming up we now dont get to see Tait and Lee hammering the Indian and Sri Lankan batsmen together.

Hopefully he will work everything out and be back next season.
or Tait being hammered or not bowled much (like we saw in the test). Tait looked completely out of sorts in the test and if the pressure and strain has been that much on him, it is best to leave the game aside for a while. Hoping that he comes back in the near future because he is very talented.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The reaction on this thread is quite poor in my opinion. If it indeed was 'psychological or emotional issues' that have plagued Shaun then nobody has any right to call him soft or weak. Mental illness or psychological stress takes a lot out of you and I don't care how tough you are. Those who are calling him soft or weak are obviously blessed that they have never sufferred from mental illness or psychological stress. If taking a break is what's needed to sort out his body and mind, then cricket takes a backseat in my opinion. He's a human being first and a cricketer second. Here's hoping he recovers and makes his way back into the South Australian team and then the Australian team.
Yeah, well put.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
or Tait being hammered or not bowled much (like we saw in the test). Tait looked completely out of sorts in the test and if the pressure and strain has been that much on him, it is best to leave the game aside for a while. Hoping that he comes back in the near future because he is very talented.
So long as he was well enough to bowl a beamer at Harbhajan, I'd pick him anyway.

But even though he was out of sorts in the test, it doens't mean he would have done bad in ODIs, excepting this illness/ fatigue of course. I mean, there are heaps of meh test bowlers who are good or even very good ODI bowlers.

It's really, really sad if he has some sort of illness, be it mental or physical. Hopefully he can come back better than ever.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So long as he was well enough to bowl a beamer at Harbhajan, I'd pick him anyway.

But even though he was out of sorts in the test, it doens't mean he would have done bad in ODIs, excepting this illness/ fatigue of course. I mean, there are heaps of meh test bowlers who are good or even very good ODI bowlers.

It's really, really sad if he has some sort of illness, be it mental or physical. Hopefully he can come back better than ever.
Yeah, I do know that. It is best for him to take time off from the game for a while to recover from whatever he is suffering from be it pressure or strain or whatever his problem is if it is affecting him that much (is my point). I hope that he comes back strong in due course as well.