• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Tait quits cricket

pasag

RTDAS
Not to dissimilar to Nathan Ablett who left Geelong the same year of their GF win not long ago, citing much the same stuff as Tait.

Stu274

Cricket Spectator
Yeah but meantime his Aussie spot will possibly be taken by another player now & hes not getting any younger.
Gotta grab these chances when you can in my view.
Personally I think we have better bowlers than him waiting to come through so see it as a good thing.

Bet you he will be back next Australian summer. You heard it here first.

masterblaster

International Captain
The reaction on this thread is quite poor in my opinion. If it indeed was 'psychological or emotional issues' that have plagued Shaun then nobody has any right to call him soft or weak. Mental illness or psychological stress takes a lot out of you and I don't care how tough you are. Those who are calling him soft or weak are obviously blessed that they have never sufferred from mental illness or psychological stress. If taking a break is what's needed to sort out his body and mind, then cricket takes a backseat in my opinion. He's a human being first and a cricketer second. Here's hoping he recovers and makes his way back into the South Australian team and then the Australian team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not to dissimilar to Nathan Ablett who left Geelong the same year of their GF win not long ago, citing much the same stuff as Tait.
Nah not dissimilar to many people in fact. Michael Gough is another case who comes to my mind - captained England u19s, had big wraps. Hadn't progressed as much as Tait, but simply retired out-of-the-blue one day, saying he wasn't enjoying the game.

Things like this are a shock, majorly so - agree with f_o_s that I first throught the thread was a joke, then spotted it was Gelman who started it so thought... WoW, that's actually going to be genuine.

You can never know, of course - like many people have said, no certainty that this is perminant at all. Those who follow snooker remember Mark King? Marked similarities there.

BTW, goes without saying I agree with the likes of Akhil, Clapo, Nath and Sangrah. Poor form to criticise him for softness.
****, I hate the sugary-sweetness bull**** on here sometimes.
Go on, throw the toys out of the cot and leave again.

Josh

International Regular
Why can't we replace the Shaun Tait quitting part with Shane Watson quitting?? :(

Josh

International Regular
In all seriousness, it is understandable and I wish all the best for Taiter, whether I think he could have ever become a great test bowler or not, he was still dangerous and a sight to see... even though I never actually saw him live.

I really do talk tripe, eh??

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Go on, throw the toys out of the cot and leave again.
I think that's poor form & even borderline hypocrisy from you, given your adherence to some decidedly non-mainstream opinions.

If someone's of the opinion that Tait is "soft" (which, when you compare him to other professional sportsmen, he may well be, it isn't necessarily a criticism) they should have the right to express it. If we all agreed the forum's scope for debate would be rather limited.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
5 Test Wickets with a bowling average over 60 and lost all 3 Tests he's playedl, no wonder he's down on himself.

Tait currently is like Khaled Mahmud, hope he returns after quiting as quickly as Mahmud did!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Probably got a better ODI record than Mahmud... ;)
Mahmud the much better batsman though, along with the better captain. And, given what that one spell against Pakistan did, Mahmud had an easily bigger impact than Tait on the game - an impact that I highly doubt Tait will be able to match, even if he returns.

So yes, Mahmud > Tait as an international cricketer.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Mahmud the much better batsman though, along with the better captain. And, given what that one spell against Pakistan did, Mahmud had an easily bigger impact than Tait on the game - an impact that I highly doubt Tait will be able to match, even if he returns.

So yes, Mahmud > Tait as an international cricketer.
Debatable really. Tait was one of the best bowlers in a winning WC campaign. If he wasn't in the team, another team might have won the WC.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Debatable really. Tait was one of the best bowlers in a winning WC campaign. If he wasn't in the team, another team might have won the WC.
Yeah, but the difference between doing decently in a World Cup and winning one pales in comparison to the difference between getting Test status and not getting it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that's poor form & even borderline hypocrisy from you, given your adherence to some decidedly non-mainstream opinions.

If someone's of the opinion that Tait is "soft" (which, when you compare him to other professional sportsmen, he may well be, it isn't necessarily a criticism) they should have the right to express it. If we all agreed the forum's scope for debate would be rather limited.
I never said anyone shouldn't have the right to express such an opinion (though I do love to see people rightfully shot down for doing so).

I merely said that if he doesn't like being shot down by "sugary-sweetness" he should leave... again.
You'd like that, wouldn't you?

No such luck then, pal.
No such luck for you either.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
5 Test Wickets with a bowling average over 60 and lost all 3 Tests he's playedl, no wonder he's down on himself.

Tait currently is like Khaled Mahmud, hope he returns after quiting as quickly as Mahmud did!
Haven't Aus only lost twice during his Test career? I know he debuted at trent Bridge.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
^^ Haha - people have rattled off the "three tests, three losses" things several times, and that's never occurred to me - you're quite right. "Three tests, no wins" is accurate.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I never said anyone shouldn't have the right to express such an opinion (though I do love to see people rightfully shot down for doing so).
So the next time someone demurs from one of your wacky pet theories you won't turn it into a tedious quote-fest? Hmmm.