• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Tait quits cricket

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
this is poor show tbh, voltman in particular....but he's still a star......in the David Koch mould.

Last edited:

RhyZa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I can't argue with those saying fight through it, do not waste your talent/opportunity handed to you but on the other I respect him for being able to walk away if he isn't happy despite said talents.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Shame to hear about this, never really rated Tait in particular, but it's always sad to hear of an international cricketer going through difficulties like this.

sideshowtim

Banned
I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I can't argue with those saying fight through it, do not waste your talent/opportunity handed to you but on the other I respect him for being able to walk away if he isn't happy despite said talents.
He has done the right thing. If this heart, mind and body wasn't up to it, he'd be doing a great disservice to his team mates at both state and international level. You have to be in the right frame of mind if you want to be a premier cricketer.

I think he'll be back though. I really do.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That has nothing to do with that, though, I never express opinions about people being "soft".
*sigh*

No, but you express a lot of opinions that, to be charitable, differ from the received wisdom. Some people might find them every bit as offensive (and having rather less basis in fact) than the contention that Tait is soft. You have every right to express them (although obviously one would wish not quite so ad nauseam as is your wont) without someone advising you (as you did to Volts) that you can sling your hook. Again.

Alles klar?

kanga_kid

Cricket Spectator
Wild Thing

yeah wow....poor bugger. hope he gets better soon, i think he just needs to get out of south australia, that would make me wanna chuck it in too. lol maybe queensland can offer him a contract, that should brighten him up a bit.....but now it leaves the door for watson to possibly come back into the void.
well hope he come good again, coz the WILD THING is a big part of australian cricket.
maybe he has gone to get a new zealand citizenship.....god knows they need it. might do him good, give him a confidence boost if anything lol.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, but you express a lot of opinions that, to be charitable, differ from the received wisdom. Some people might find them every bit as offensive (and having rather less basis in fact) than the contention that Tait is soft.
I highly doubt anyone finds much I say offensive as such, but it's irrelevant, really.
You have every right to express them (although obviously one would wish not quite so ad nauseam as is your wont) without someone advising you (as you did to Volts) that you can sling your hook. Again.
The "advice" to sling the hook was separate from the saying that the soft contention was a stupid one. Notice how I quoted others when saying that, then "Volts" directly when making the "so leave" quip.

That "advice" sprung from his even-more-absurd contention about the forum atmosphere, and was based on a comment he'd made to me upon a return to the forums of my own. Nothing to do with the expressing of the opinion that Tait was soft.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
People calling him soft can go jump really. Extremely narrow-minded.

Sorts out the bowling attack somewhat I guess. Really hope he gets everything sorted out.
You can't really trust someone who is a massive Harbhajan fan.

In any case, good luck to him. Sometimes things just drain you for whatever reason - we have no idea whats going on in his private life or his mind. As a guy who loves fast bowling, he was very fun to watch and I hope to see him again soon.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Only have my sympathy for Tait at this stage, wouldn't have a clue what's going on in and his mind and I agree with Goughy when he said that cricket (and other sports really) can really mess with your head.

Let's all hope we see him back on a cricket field and relaxed in the near future. :)

GGG

State Captain
I suggest he clears his head by moving to New Zealand and becoming a citizen. Seriously though, this is a shock and a shame for cricket.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
When my mate first told me I said "What, is he in that Indian League?" Really taken aback by this tbh, hard to know quite what to make of it.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The reaction on this thread is quite poor in my opinion. If it indeed was 'psychological or emotional issues' that have plagued Shaun then nobody has any right to call him soft or weak. Mental illness or psychological stress takes a lot out of you and I don't care how tough you are. Those who are calling him soft or weak are obviously blessed that they have never sufferred from mental illness or psychological stress. If taking a break is what's needed to sort out his body and mind, then cricket takes a backseat in my opinion. He's a human being first and a cricketer second. Here's hoping he recovers and makes his way back into the South Australian team and then the Australian team.
More to do with people calling Shane Watson soft IMO. Anyway shock IMO.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This thread does raise the interesting topic regarding 'softness'.

Some criticising Tait for being 'soft' others saying that such comments are out of line.

Personally, I couldnt think of a worse profession than a top flight athlete. The career is short, your livelihood depends on your performance in every game, its high pressure and worst of all it all happens in the public domain where everyone feels free to criticise and analyse your every move.

Cricket takes it a step further with the long periods away from home, the long hours of competition and the relatively moderate financial compensation and security.

The life of a professional cricketer (especially a marginal one away from home a lot with no stability) isnt one I would aspire to or recommend for my kids.

However, and this is the big but. Some people are better at handling it than others and some dont handle it well at all. Its a skill and an attitude. If a lack of this ability is 'softness' then a person is soft.

I take no particular umbrage with the term. It is what it is. Softness is an inability to handle the pressures of a situation that others handle capably.

As much as I sympathise and identify with Tait (or as much as we know about his situation) it is being 'soft'. Not to recognise it as such takes credit away from those who possess the ability and mentality to deal with such situations.

Now at the end of the day, this could be the best thing for him. Recharge and rediscover the passion and energy. Everyone must do what is best for themselves. Others may not have needed to do similar but thats just how it is.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Still don't think the thread title is very appropriate.

UIMM he's taking a break from the game and not quitting

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think Gelman just titled the thread after the article from The Age TBH.

Yeah, it does seem that The Age (rather than Gelman) have possibly used the sensationalist approach despite it being perhaps a tadge misleading. Maybe a "quits" would be more appropriate.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
^^ Haha - people have rattled off the "three tests, three losses" things several times, and that's never occurred to me - you're quite right. "Three tests, no wins" is accurate.
The Oval Test felt like a loss!

But yeah your right 3 Tests without tasting victory, not many Aussies have started there Test Career so poorly.