• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You should have a look at some of the images from the tour when Murali was called in the 90s - I guarantee they'll make you think twice about that.

There was an ODI played at Adelaide Oval against England where the behaviour of Ranatunga and his team was some of the worst in history
Not really, they had every right to walk off IMO and if no-one else was going to take that idiot Emerson to task, good on Ranatunga for doing so.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really, they had every right to walk off IMO and if no-one else was going to take that idiot Emerson to task, good on Ranatunga for doing so.
Stop being so blind, throwing aside, SL were one of the worst behaved teams ever to tour Australia

Ranatunga simply used that as a smokescreen to cover any number of disgraceful acts

sideshowtim

Banned
I think the Australian players and supporters outrage is enormously justified

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/334111.html

"The thing that pisses us off is that it shows how much power India has," the anonymous contracted player told the paper. "The Aussie guys aren't going to make it [the accusation] up. The players are frustrated because this shows how much influence India has, because of the wealth they generate. Money talks."

Absolutely bloody spot on. I've had enough of the BCCI's childish blackmailing behaviour. It's a disgrace.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Couldn't disagree more. If a team acts in open defiance of the standing umpires we might as well not bother with cricket. Without agreed rules and conditions sport doesn't exist.

Whatever one thinks of Emerson, Ranatunga was way over the line there. I admire him for his staunch defence of his controversial star matchwinner, but I couldn't possibly condone that.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If there was one Indian cricketer who could have said this, it was Harbhajan. I have no doubt in my mind that he made the racist remark. But there wasn't enough evidence to charge him and punish him so basically he gets away with it. I really feel sorry for Symonds because not only he was the victim of Racial abuse but now he is indirectly assumed(at least by some cricket fans) to be a liar.

As for BCCI, they continue to prove how dysfunctional they really are and not really surprise at Sharad Pawar's ways or running things . I personally believe that Harbhajan was let go because of the lack of evidence, but the way they(BCCI) handled the whole issue in last couple of days, it appears that He escaped the ban because of BCCI's threat. I dont blame Aussie fans/players or or for that matter Cricket fans in other parts of the world feeling that way.

BCCI has been showing too much muscle power, first Bucknor's sacking, then Bond's NZ contract termination and now Harbhajan Let off, all within one month. Also I am disgusted at CA for their complete submission to their LORDs at BCCI.It is really sad state of affiars and I as a cricket fan am disgusted and very angry.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Couldn't disagree more. If a team acts in open defiance of the standing umpires we might as well not bother with cricket. Without agreed rules and conditions sport doesn't exist.

Whatever one thinks of Emerson, Ranatunga was way over the line there. I admire him for his staunch defence of his controversial star matchwinner, but I couldn't possibly condone that.
If an Umpire acts in open defiance of not only the stipulated law (Murali's action had been specifically cleared) but all common-sense, the sport doesn't exist either.

There is no room in cricket for types like Emerson, and there is room for protests. Sometimes, refusing to play is the only way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think the Australian players and supporters outrage is enormously justified

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/334111.html

"The thing that pisses us off is that it shows how much power India has," the anonymous contracted player told the paper. "The Aussie guys aren't going to make it [the accusation] up. The players are frustrated because this shows how much influence India has, because of the wealth they generate. Money talks."

Absolutely bloody spot on. I've had enough of the BCCI's childish blackmailing behaviour. It's a disgrace.
Well frankly it doesn't matter how much anyone's had enough of it or how many times it gets called a disgrace, it's the way things are. No sense fighting it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There is, unfortunately, a strong undercurrent at the BCCI that's vindictive. They were made second class citizens for most of cricket's history and now they just seem to want to 'give it back.'

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If an Umpire acts in open defiance of not only the stipulated law (Murali's action had been specifically cleared) but all common-sense, the sport doesn't exist either.

There is no room in cricket for types like Emerson, and there is room for protests. Sometimes, refusing to play is the only way.
Given what Emerson has said about Murali's action since I find it extremely difficult to believe he'd have agreed not to call him beforehand. Got a link for that?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There is, unfortunately, a strong undercurrent at the BCCI that's vindictive. They were made second class citizens for most of cricket's history and now they just seem to want to 'give it back.'

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think there's something in that. It's unfortunate that Australia & (particularly) England ran international cricket like their own personal fifedom for about a century and the BCCI certainly indulged in brinkmanship here.

I just hope the BCCI are more benign masters than the MCC were.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given what Emerson has said about Murali's action since I find it extremely difficult to believe he'd have agreed not to call him beforehand. Got a link for that?
He hadn't agreed not to - I$C$C had simply stipulated that his action was legal. I haven't any links for that but surely you must know he was tested following the first instance in 1995\96 and found to be AOK?

That should have been enough, but no, he had to pursue his own theme. 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think there's something in that. It's unfortunate that Australia & (particularly) England ran international cricket like their own personal fifedom for about a century and the BCCI certainly indulged in brinkmanship here.

I just hope the BCCI are more benign masters than the MCC were.
The problem, of course, is that neither option is in the best interest of cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unfortunately, as I've said any number of times on any number of subjects, doing wrongs now doesn't right past wrongs, at all.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dont have any problem with the sub-continent having the balance of power because, let's face it, they generate most of the cash and without it, places like the WI could never hope to survive and the cricket world would be piss-poor without them

But the constant failure to accept decisions that dont go their way can only end up being detrimental to the game.