• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Weren't you carted by one Peter Fulton once? I believe he got a triple century...(There's my cheap shot for today:p )

Still reckon Hitchcock at his best is better in ODIs than Martin and Gillespie
Peter Fulton >>>>> Graham Napier as a batsman, as you well know. I did love the full toss that Hitchcock bowled which was belted out of the park. That'd be a tough one for an international batsman to deal with.

And I reckon you are massively wrong on Hitchcock vs Martin/Gillespie.

Flem274*

123/5
I haven't seen Te Ahu play live. Saw him on the box and at least he had some pace. You're right you; injured. As as Richard Sherlock. He was playing for ACT and I think he picked up a nasty (back?) injury in his first game for 'em.

Houghton should be batting at #8 - ahead of Dewayne Bowden, Jeets, Iain O'Brien, Mark Rasmussen, Mark Gillespie. When Franklin's playing he should be down at #9.
How the hell do all our bowlers with any decent pace manage to get injured so often? You were injury plagued were you not?

Flem274*

123/5
Peter Fulton >>>>> Graham Napier as a batsman, as you well know. I did love the full toss that Hitchcock bowled which was belted out of the park. That'd be a tough one for an international batsman to deal with.

I reckon I'm massively right:p

You have to try prety hard to average as much as they do. Hitchcock is not what he once was I'll give you that but the direness of Gillespie and Martin is laughable..if you're the opposition.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain

You are absolutely right !

HeathDavisSpeed

The news is worse if you look at his figures in his preceding two games for ACT. Looks like about 0 wickets for 400 in his last 3 games. Dear oh dear.

HeathDavisSpeed

:huh: What's that impossibly fortunate slogger got to do with anything?
Napes is playing for Upper Valley in the Wellington Club Cricket League and has been playing for the Wellington provincial side in the 20:20. He scored 49 of 19 balls against Auckland earlier in the week thanks to an awful over from Paul Hitchcock (which as I recall, went for 24 runs)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aha. Not offended a friend of yours then I hope.

Napier is truly one of the worst supposed batsmen I've ever seen, Shahid Afridi being the only one unquestionably worse.

Are there no rules govorning Twenty20 qualification in NZ then?

HeathDavisSpeed

Aha. Not offended a friend of yours then I hope.

Napier is truly one of the worst supposed batsmen I've ever seen, Shahid Afridi being the only one unquestionably worse.

Are there no rules govorning Twenty20 qualification in NZ then?
Nah, he's not in my club. Though I did watch him play and bump into him a couple of times when I was over in England. I'm sure I remember him being mentioned in the England ODI despatches 3 or 4 years ago when he had a good season for Essex, but he really is a poor man's Irani-alike.

And as for qualification rules for provincial cricket, I'm not too sure, we don't usually have foreigners playing over here. Shreck's been playing for Wellington and the fact he's not in the side when Napier's playing suggests to me there's a one overseas player limit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah Napier certainly was mentioned in England ODI terms - if Tim Bresnan can, so can he. 8-)

Even got picked in an A squad UIMM.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
The news is worse if you look at his figures in his preceding two games for ACT. Looks like about 0 wickets for 400 in his last 3 games. Dear oh dear.
He's coming back from injury and not bowling at full speed yet. He's being built up with a larger workload before he starts cranking up the pace.

Out of interest if you look at Southee and Sherlock's performances in their respective under 19 games, Southee's figures are FAR superior to Sherlocks.

HeathDavisSpeed

Southee has been a lot luckier with injuries (or just less of a crock). Sherlock was always being groomed as "He's quick, his accuracy and variation will improve" whilst Southee has got the accuracy and variation and we hope he'll be able to find another 5-10 kmh somewhere.

Southee is looking a hot tip at the moment. Can he keep injury free though??

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
If southee can get himself in the gym, and is properly managed, he could easily get up around the 145 - 150 mark. The thing with Southee is he is a prodigous swinger of the ball... something that could see him become one of the better quicks going around in world cricket in a couple of years. With him, Boult, possibly sherlock, and hopefuly a few others in the age grades coming through, the bowling stocks are looking a little healthier.

Off topic, but Brian Waddell seems to think that a bolter might be named in at least the Twenty20 squad today - Im thinking somebody ****, probably Scott.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Ryder and Southee are good selections in my opinion - the selectors obviously have an eye to the future.

But hitchcock ? Plllleeeeaaassseee. 33 years old, aint done ****, aint gonna do ****.

The only interesting thing will be to see where they bat him.