• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Test XI: Who I would pick/ Who will be picked
How/Cumming
Bell/Bell
Fleming/Fulton
Fulton/Fleming
Styris/Sinclair
Oram/Oram
McCullum/McCullum
Vettori/Vettori
Mills/Mills
Mason/O'Brien
Martin/Martin

ODI Side
How
McCullum
Taylor
Stryis
Fulton
Sinclair
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Martin

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To pick Taylor ahead of Fulton in Tests at this point would seem to me like something fairly resembling insanity.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
New Zealand terminate Bond contract.

Some people over here have reacted in ways that, frankly, beggar belief - first, acting as if this decision by NZC was a surprise (:blink:) and second, basically now taking it for granted that England will win in Tests and ODIs. :blink:8-)

No surprise to me and New Zealand still more than capable of beating us, IMO.

howardj

International Coach
Fox are covering this Series I think.

Hopefully the Dilmah tea party will be back, along with J Coney's inimitable pitch reports.

Flem274*

123/5
New Zealand terminate Bond contract.

Some people over here have reacted in ways that, frankly, beggar belief - first, acting as if this decision by NZC was a surprise (:blink:) and second, basically now taking it for granted that England will win in Tests and ODIs. :blink:8-)

No surprise to me and New Zealand still more than capable of beating us, IMO.
Good. Hope that attitude seeps into the English team as well also we always seem to do well when we're given no chance by anyone.

I wonder if Englands seamers will survive the ODIs and reach the tests? It would be interesting to see the attitude of the world cricketing public if we were facing the might of Plunkett, Tredwell and Mahmood.

(I hope they all get through btw, I want to see both sides at full strength)

Days of Grace

International Captain
Well both sides aren't are full strengh now, are they, now that Bond's out.

Won't it be torture to have NZ tame bowling attack conceding 450/5 on a flat deck, and having Bond bowling in Christchurch nets at 145 km/h and swinging it? Dear oh dear. I can see it happening now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good. Hope that attitude seeps into the English team as well also we always seem to do well when we're given no chance by anyone.

I wonder if Englands seamers will survive the ODIs and reach the tests? It would be interesting to see the attitude of the world cricketing public if we were facing the might of Plunkett, Tredwell and Mahmood.

(I hope they all get through btw, I want to see both sides at full strength)
Well as DoG (sort of :laugh:) said, both teams will now be missing the man who should be their best bowler, with no Flintoff and no Bond.

TBH, I don't see Sidebottom getting injured in the ODIs, Hoggard doesn't even (thankfully) get picked for them, Anderson (who does play ODIs) probably won't start the Test series by choice, and even if they were all to fall down, I'd still think it's highly unlikely any of Plunkett, Mahmood or Tredwell will get near the Test squad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still utterly baffled as to how a nothing bowler (and a middle-aged one at that) like Richardson got on the A-tour. :blink:

FBU

International Debutant
Still utterly baffled as to how a nothing bowler (and a middle-aged one at that) like Richardson got on the A-tour. :blink:
I think most counties have at least one better bowler than Richardson the selectors could have picked. Medium paced with a horrible action and injury prone and a List A average of 36.87. :wacko: He must have friends in high places. Then we have Onions. 35.70 and l/o34.47. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Flem274*

123/5
In ODIs I think we need a bowling clean out. Franklin, Gillespie, Martin and co are rubbish. I'm not saying the guys listed below will be absolutely stellaer but they are worth a shot.

List A records

Ewen Thompson Left Arm Fast Medium

Mat. Wkts BB Ave. ER SR 4w 5w (erm, if he has a 5fer why isn't it in BB?)

33 64 4/22 23.70 4.48 31.6 3 1

Bradley Scott Left Arm Fast Medium (surprised at his poor average actualy, he's been very good)

49 59 4/63 32.22 4.55 42.4 1 0

Andre Adams Right Arm Fast Medium

124 159 5/7 28.52 4.71 36.3 3 3

Bruce Martin Slow Left Arm Orthodox

53 56 4/28 29.83 4.02 44.5 1 0

Compare them to:

Chris Martin Right Arm Fast Medium

100 138 6/24 28.08 4.66 36.1 4 2

James Franklin Left Arm Fast Medium

135 147 5/42 32.54 4.74 41.1 3 1

Mark Gillespie Right Arm Fast Medium

70 94 5/35 30.76 5.18 35.5 3 1

Also for the NZ number 6 position I don't think either Sinclair or Hopkins should be there. Sinclair just isn't a number 6 and how Hopkins was selected with a domestic record inclusing an average of 23 is beyond me. I think we should blood a talented young player that is also able to bat at number 6 effectively. I think the candidates should be:

Greg Hay Right Hand Bat

Mat Inn. NO Runs HS Ave. BF SR 100 50

12 11 4 419 63* 59.85 579 72.36 0 3

Daniel Flynn Left Hand Bat

25 25 2 696 143 30.26 740 94.05 1 4

David Houpapa Left Hand Bat

15 15 4 297 101 27.00 394 75.38 1 1

I know they're inexperienced but I hate seeing people in positions they can't handle and FC journeymen being in the side.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In ODIs I think we need a bowling clean out. Franklin, Gillespie, Martin and co are rubbish. I'm not saying the guys listed below will be absolutely stellaer but they are worth a shot. Blah blah blah.

Sorry, Phlegm, but that post's a knee jerky pile of poorness. Thompson and Scott are military medium compared to the already not very fast Martin and Franklin. Whilst bowlers of their speed are able to bowl with some semblance of respectability in NZ conditions, they would be torn apart overseas; particularly in Australia or the sub-continent.

Andre Adams is a non-starter while Bracewell is at the helm, and I'd only bring him into replace Gillespie as he has greater authority over his selection of variations than the somewhat erratic Gillespie.

As for those batsmen you've named; none of them have enough experience yet. Hay has an average of 50+, but his high score is only 63 not out! Haupapa on the other hand has a diabolical average despite having scored a century AND four not outs. Not saying these guys won't have their time, but it sure as hell isn't now.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think this debate about the no.6 position is not really needed. Oram should be no.6 i.m.o. He should take extra responsibility as a batsman, not just a basher at no.7 or 8.

Flem274*

123/5
Sorry, Phlegm, but that post's a knee jerky pile of poorness. Thompson and Scott are military medium compared to the already not very fast Martin and Franklin. Whilst bowlers of their speed are able to bowl with some semblance of respectability in NZ conditions, they would be torn apart overseas; particularly in Australia or the sub-continent.

Andre Adams is a non-starter while Bracewell is at the helm, and I'd only bring him into replace Gillespie as he has greater authority over his selection of variations than the somewhat erratic Gillespie.

As for those batsmen you've named; none of them have enough experience yet. Hay has an average of 50+, but his high score is only 63 not out! Haupapa on the other hand has a diabolical average despite having scored a century AND four not outs. Not saying these guys won't have their time, but it sure as hell isn't now.
Nah, I've been thinking it for a while now. Its incensing to see the likes of Martin, Gillespie and O'Brien take the field in an ODI. IIRC aren't Scott and Thompson about the pace as Mills? I think they have potential. I definitely think Mason should get the nod ahead of Martin and Adams ahead of Gillespie, Franklin is improving but how much he'll improve remains to be seen. I definitely think Bruce Martin is good enough for ODIs. Strangely we have a few decent spinners despite all the greentops!

As for those batsmen, yes I know they're inexperienced but shortly one should get the nod or would you rather James Marshall and Gareth Hopkins scoring a host of ducks with a fifty inbetween? Personally if we need a stop gap for the number 6 possie it should be Vincent if he gets back in form. Then when he loses form a year later (yet again) bring in someone with alot of ability.

In fact do we have anyone with a reasonable amount of experience that could play ODIs? How good are the Parlane brothers? they seem to be amongst the runs lately

EDIT: Prehaps a floating batsman at number 6? Say everything goes wuvly and we're in a good position bring in Oram at 6. If we're 4/50 odd bring in a semi-brick wall. Sinclair prehaps could do that job. In saying that its pretty hard to get through Fulton and Styris in one dayers so prehaps the floating batsman is not needed.

Still think we should select someone suited to the position. Hopkins and Sinclair (as a non floating batsman) will always find it dificult.

Last edited: