• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I have been wondering though since the beginning of this saga, if India pulled out, would CA have grounds to claim damages against the BCCI for lost revenue? If a contract was signed, you'd surely think so.
They might, but they probably would choose not to pursue it for fear of being shut out in the future (e.g, only getting 3 ODI series from now on).

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
The other cricket boards will need to form a union if the BCCI does continue to act in the manner that's being alleged. :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
3.The stump mike was late evidence And the indian voices in that are not clear,so it proves nothing as aussies can clearly be saying these things as a planned strategy on field to bring false charges.
Actually loled at the thought of Clarke or Gilchrist putting on an Indian accent to throw off the stump mic. Here's a video of it though.
Last ten pages of this thread were fairly dire though, thankfully the actually level-headed responses from the more established posters (Gelman, SS, Matt, etc.) meant that they weren't as painful as some of the more recent stuff. I read that SMH article that SS linked to as soon as I got home from work, and it's a very, very disappointing decision if the accusations leveled at the BCCI and to a lesser extent CA are true, which you'd suspect they are given that it is the BCCI after all. All the same, I can't say I'm that surprised with the decision, I don't think many people would have honestly thought that he'd be given a suspension, especially after the hearing was delayed so as to allow him to play in the remaining tests.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like the SMH are really going to town today - there are several articles attacking BCCI and ICC.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, if it's objective analysis you're after, you should go read the Daily Telegraph.... :ph34r:
:laugh: Reading it all online from London TBH! Not having a go at SMH, just figured it was unlike them to go in quite so hard (yeah yeah :naughty:) so they obviously feel pretty strongly that they can back it up.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
:laughing:

Humble pie left untouched, one feels. Still, it'd always be a challenge after swallowing that sheep.
Loved his response to that though: 'Better a sheep than to swallow what he's been swallowing.' (To Warne, after he used the same line..this was right after Warne's ban ended).

Fusion

Global Moderator
Oh, yea I agree. Personally, I think he said it. The problem is how they initially ruled against him without solid evidence. I wouldn't mind if Harbhajan gets banned for life, and I have no time or respect for a douchebag like him anyway (see sig.) He has always been an ass, and this whole incident has left me with absolutely zero respect for him. Not only do I think he said it, he probably meant it in the worst way too, rather than the heat of the moment. He's an ass.
I tend to agree with you, but I'm not convinced as strongly as you are that Harby said it. I do believe that Australian players believed he said it, otherwise they wouldn't have reacted the way they did. I also can not fathom how ANYONE can continue to justify the "monkey" taunt as not being offensive. Please stop making excuses. It is a racist term, everyone involved knew it was a racist term, and if it was said, then it was certainly intended as a racist taunt! If I was the judge though, I don't think I could find Harby guilty based on the evidence presented (though I personally suspect he did say it). It's his word against the others, and this is too strong a charge to make a ruling based on that. I guess only Harby knows what was said (as I suppose Symonds and others could've misheard him). If he's lying, than I don't know how he can sleep at night with a clear conscience. The entire thing left a bad taste in the mouth, and I say it's time to move on.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
I also can not fathom how ANYONE can continue to justify the "monkey" taunt as not being offensive.
It's called clutching at straws. It is entirely natural for some to want to think only the best of those they support, and only the worst for those they don't. The fact that it is unsurprising doesn't make it any less disappointing, though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ranatunga - batsman, captain, avatar, comedian. Does he ever stop giving? :p

I know you don't like him much, but I think he's probably one of my favorite guys. I know the shtick about how the Australians can 'give it out and can't take it' is old, overplayed and exaggerated, but I do think there is still some truth to it (by Australians, I mean the players) and Ranatunga really exemplified it. Especially how he took all the criticism himself and became a target for everyone to protect his team, which I admire.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, Ranatunga as a player earns massive respect from me. Some of his post-career comments are overboard, but as a leader he was admirable to say the least.

social

Yeah, Ranatunga as a player earns massive respect from me. Some of his post-career comments are overboard, but as a leader he was admirable to say the least.

You should have a look at some of the images from the tour when Murali was called in the 90s - I guarantee they'll make you think twice about that.

There was an ODI played at Adelaide Oval against England where the behaviour of Ranatunga and his team was some of the worst in history

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You should have a look at some of the images from the tour when Murali was called in the 90s - I guarantee they'll make you think twice about that.

There was an ODI played at Adelaide Oval against England where the behaviour of Ranatunga and his team was some of the worst in history
Can you give details please (Not saying you are wrong, just want to know about it)?

social

Can you give details please (Not saying you are wrong, just want to know about it)?
Murali called, Ranatunga led walkoff, prolonged sledging of all and sundry by SL, two examples of obstructing field by SL batsmen - they totally lost the plot

Ranatunga was great at manipulating certain sections of media with "poor little SL" line but under his "control", some members of his team were absolute shockers.

Like Tony Greig and Ian Chappell, his new holier than thou elder statesman bs is so hypocritical its not funny

haroon510

International 12th Man
i saw this coming actully.. to think the BCCI is going to Ban one of his cricketers who play for india.. it is as simple as it is.. BCCI runs ICC and ICC runs the world of cricket including the umpires and Judges and match Refrees.. the way one of the best umpires (steve Buckner) of the cricket was treated is the example of this..