• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Tait quits cricket

Laurrz

International Debutant
Hmmm so the Aussie attack is now, Lee, Clark, Johnson, Hogg, and possibly Noffke?

Right, next season when we play you lot I hope our batting is sorted out properly and not all injured for once, especially if Lee ain't playing. Pace is what we have a question mark against and now no more Tait. Every NZ opener will be rejoicing in the streets tonight I bet:laugh:
Lee, Bracken, Johnson, Hogg, Hopes

i recn

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I really wasn't expecting that - hopefully, as others have said, it's a case of spending some time away from the game to recharge and re-discover his passion. Hopefully he'll return a fitter, better bowler.

And if the time off doesn't help him to recover both his form and his enthusiasm, then I guess he's made the right decision to get out now.

Australia's fringe pacemen will now no doubt be redoubling their efforts to take advantage - promises to be interesting times.

burr

State Vice-Captain
What. This is terrible news. I loved watching him in odis and failing in one test didn't mean he still wasn't a massive prospect. Fast bowlers like him are such a rare breed. Oh well, hope he sorts out the issues and comes back better than ever.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
:blink:

Its a shame. I reckon he'd have been an excellent limited overs bowler, especially if he gained some more control. Damn thats two fast bowlers gone in two days.

So how long before we see the headline: Tait Enters Rebel league
Who's the other fast bowler who's gone?

Craig

World Traveller
Replacement for CB series?....Noffke anyone ?
Would deserve it IMO.

Sounds like he just needs a break from cricket, and I think the opportunity to do so will recharge him. For my five cents worth, maybe some people don't like public pressure and life.

pup11

International Coach
Wow, i didn't see that coming, but well its not like he has quit international cricket forever,he is taking a time-out from cricket to get his body and mind fixed, so all we can do now is hope that he makes a good comeback.
Good luck Taity!!!

Days of Grace

International Captain
Makes me laugh when arguably the world's best fast bowler, Shane Bond, quits, and there's like one page of reaction in the last two days.

Shaun Tait, a rubbish test bowler, and an ODI bowler with a mere 30 wickets to his name, quits, and all of a sudden we have 4 pages.

Dear oh dear.

sideshowtim

Banned
Makes me laugh when arguably the world's best fast bowler, Shane Bond, quits, and there's like one page of reaction in the last two days.

Shaun Tait, a rubbish test bowler, and an ODI bowler with a mere 30 wickets to his name, quits, and all of a sudden we have 4 pages.

Dear oh dear.
That had been building for some time though. Most people knew what was going to happen. This is a complete and total shock.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Risking doing too much interpretation of a fairly brief statement, you can see there must have been a number of factors bothering him - injuries and the physical pain associated with recovery, the questioning of his bowling action, disappointment at Johnson being preferred for the test slot, and maybe the final straw, getting another shot in a Test, bowling tripe and having a poor run in terms of how he was used, and being widely slammed for his performance. He had a lot of initial success in his cricket career, and the fact that it hasn't gone to the script he would have had in his head might have caught him unprepared. Hopefully some time away will let him get himself right physically, and to get a bit of perspective on the emotional issues.

pup11

International Coach

Dear oh dear.
Tait is a youngster and on the other hand Bond ain't a spring-chicken, so that definitely adds to the shock-element in Tait's case.

pup11

International Coach
Player burnout, scourge of the modern game..
I think its just a case of Ponting giving him an earful after the way he bowled at Perth, anyways the funny thing is he played in the Ranger cup game against the Bushrangers and bowled pretty well and after that he dropped this bomb-shell.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member

Dear oh dear.
There's a ten-page thread on the Bond drama, which SST pointed out, has developed over the course of a few weeks.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ITSTL, bit of a shock really. I take it as he's just having a break from cricket though, not so much as quiting. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back next season.

8-) at the people calling him soft. Like you even know what's going through his head atm.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a shock, because he's so young, but if he doesn't feel that he's (currently) up to the mental rigours of top-level cricket he's made a brave & an honest decision. He's walking away from a decent salary too, let's not forget, so I imagine it's not a call he made lightly.

The physical side of it shouldn't be ignored either; his action always looked like a stress-fracture waiting to happen so maybe he's just sick of the constant pain.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
People calling him soft can go jump really. Extremely narrow-minded.

Sorts out the bowling attack somewhat I guess. Really hope he gets everything sorted out.