• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

sideshowtim

Banned
Reputation trashed??? Not really, he is as popular as ever if not more back in India and the subcontinent, his board & his team supports him. I am not sure if his reputation in the view of the Australian team counts.
His reputation in any decent person's eyes has diminshed after this fiasco. Just as the reputation of Lehmann rightfully diminshed after his racial comments. The difference was, Lehmann manned up and accepted his punishment for being a dickhead on the chin. Harby is a little lying so and so who has hidden behind the enormous power of the BCCI who have blackmailed the ICC.

sideshowtim

Banned
I am not defending anyone, but you seem intent on misinterpreting a transcript either out of ignorance or malice. Not clarifying is not the same as admitting guilt. Which book of law have you read which says so??
Misinterpreting? Hard to misinterpet that mate. Common sense and natural human behaviour says that if Harby really had of said Maa Ki he would've clarified that immediately.

If you're accused of calling a black person a '******' when you didn't actually do it, do you immediately say that they've simply misunderstood? Or do you say "well you started it"?

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Performers generally appreciate the respect of their peers as much as anything
The Indian team is least concerned with what the Australian team/board thinks of them or their players since the Sydney test. Regardless of the peacemaking they don't have a very good opinion of the Aussie team, good athletes - yes, gentleman players - definitely not.

sideshowtim

Banned
This audio also confirms that this isn't a one off from Harbhajan. He indeed called Symonds a monkey in India too. Just a terrible guy.

biased indian

International Coach
Misinterpreting? Hard to misinterpet that mate. Common sense and natural human behaviour says that if Harby really had of said Maa Ki he would've clarified that immediately.

If you're accused of calling a black person a '******' when you didn't actually do it, do you immediately say that they've simply misunderstood? Or do you say "well you started it"?
every one is better of with it i think :cool:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Indian team is least concerned with what the Australian team/board thinks of them or their players since the Sydney test. Regardless of the peacemaking they don't have a very good opinion of the Aussie team, good athletes - yes, gentleman players - definitely not.
I think it's the wrong time to bring up the relative merits of teams' behaviour

sirdj

State Vice-Captain

Common sense says that no one is guilty unless proven so, you dispensed with your common sense when you declare him guilty without evidence.
Apple Pie & Motherhood statements do not count as evidence in a legal hearing.
How can you even begin to think of what Harbhajan would have or should have said if you as a white Australian have no idea who he is or how he thinks?? You are interpreting the situation as a white person, not a brown Indian.

sideshowtim

Banned
Common sense says that no one is guilty unless proven so, you dispensed with your common sense when you declare him guilty without evidence.
Apple Pie & Motherhood statements do not count as evidence in a legal hearing.
How can you even begin to think of what Harbhajan would have or should have said if you as a white Australian have no idea who he is or how he thinks?? You are interpreting the situation as a white person, not a brown Indian.
I am looking from the situation as a human being. Defence of ones self is part of being a human. If you haven't done something you're accused of doing, all humans will naturally defend themselves. Whether it be verbally or physically...

Guilty without evidence? There is plenty of bloody evidence! Do you need a video of someone being murdered to convict them or something?

pasag

RTDAS
Still don't think the Aussies should have complained, and on that evidence he deserved to get off:)
Disagree mate, just as a general comment, racism should not be tolerated anywhere, from the players or the crowd and if someone feels they have been vilified, action should be sought. In sport (including players and the crowd) or in general life. The Australians or whoever probably could have handled it better though in regards to keeping the thing quiet in the beginning stages and working together with captains etc.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Nah disagree, this is all more or less conjecture but I'd imagine they see him a loose cannon who causes more problems then he solves (with his bowling) and isn't really worth the effort. Much like Jardine who was heavily backed by the board in public but shoved away pretty quickly after all had been said and done.
No I disagree, you can tell what the team thinks of him by the way they behave when he scored in Adelaide, what the Indian TV commentary team say about him when he is out in the field. They think of him as one of the new breed of in-your-face aggressive indian players and think that it was good that he stands up to the Aussies and gets under their skins.

sideshowtim

Banned
Disagree mate, just as a general comment, racism should not be tolerated anywhere, from the players or the crowd and if someone feels they have been vilified, action should be sought. In sport (including players and the crowd) or in general life. The Australians or whoever probably could have handled it better though in regards to keeping the thing quiet in the beginning stages and working together with captains etc.
When is enough enough though mate? Harhajan had made racist comments on the Aussies tour to India. If we didn't step in this time, where does it end? He'd never stop, and it'd be perceived that racism in cricket is OK. IMO we should've reported it from the moment he said it in India.

social

It seems that the major problem that the Australians had with the "quiet approach" is that it had been tried in India to no avail.

Given that, I dont have a problem with the way they handled it.

I'm yet to be convinced that so much of the furore surrounding it isnt related to the shock of losing the Sydney test (watching Kumble's post-match interview, you could tell he'd lost the plot) and it all escalated from that point

social

No I disagree, you can tell what the team thinks of him by the way they behave when he scored in Adelaide, what the Indian TV commentary team say about him when he is out in the field. They think of him as one of the new breed of in-your-face aggressive indian players and think that it was good that he stands up to the Aussies and gets under their skins.
In your face is ok as long as it's not racism and he can back it up with his own performances

That's where Harby and his supporters have got it wrong

pasag

RTDAS
When is enough enough though mate? Harhajan had made racist comments on the Aussies tour to India. If we didn't step in this time, where does it end? He'd never stop, and it'd be perceived that racism in cricket is OK. IMO we should've reported it from the moment he said it in India.
Well accusing someone of something of this magnitude is a big thing and the whole initial investigation process should have been kept under wraps.

pasag

RTDAS
They might tolerate it up to a point, but I think when it causes one of the greatest cricketing controversies off all time, they might decide to let this livewire go. And with no performances of note to back it up, there's no reason to tolerate it either. In public he'll always be backed, in private he'll be slowly phased out, imo. As I said it's all conjecture on my part, but I can see it happening.

social

Well accusing someone of something of this magnitude is a big thing and the whole initial investigation process should have been kept under wraps.
That's probably something the ICC should consider but as far as I know, it's not the way things are set up at present

archie mac

International Coach
I agree, but they could have handled it in a different manner

pup11

International Coach
I am looking from the situation as a human being. Defence of ones self is part of being a human. If you haven't done something you're accused of doing, all humans will naturally defend themselves. Whether it be verbally or physically...

Guilty without evidence? There is plenty of bloody evidence! Do you need a video of someone being murdered to convict them or something?
:laugh: