• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Salamuddin

International Debutant
He's done it on enough non-flat tracks too, though. Yes he rides his luck but he's also a quality opening batsman in form. No-one can rely on luck too much opening the batting and average 50, the two are incongruous.
Yeah I agree,.....you don't average close to 50 after 50 tests IMO without being able to play reasonably well at intl level.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Even in ODIs back in 2002, Sehwag was scoring runs in NZ when no other batsman could get into double figures.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From Cricinfo;

"Why would you have two of the world's best midwicket and cover fielders in the world fielding in the slips?" chunters Dan Roesler, referring to Symonds and Clarke
Good point. They're both reasonable catchers but they're of greater value elsewhere.

pup11

International Coach
No i am not saying Sehwag is pathetic batsman or something but he is an unorthodox batsman, he rides his luck and almost makes the bowlers feel frustrated as they beat him so many times and then all of a sudden he starts dealing in boundaries.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
From Cricinfo;

Good point. They're both reasonable catchers but they're of greater value elsewhere.
Catching is much more important though. Your best slips/gully fielders should always be in the slips/gully, whether they are "better" elsewhere or not.

Top_Cat

Catching is much more important though. Your best slips/gully fielders should always be in the slips/gully, whether they are "better" elsewhere or not.
But they're both not the best catchers in the side (remember Symonds' drop in Sydney?). It's a question of balance. Hussey, Ponting and Rogers would be as good if not better options in the slips but both Clarke and Symonds are clearly the best cover/point fielders in the side.

Top_Cat

And, as predicted, the bounce at the WACA is totally over-rated and it's a great batting surface.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But they're both not the best catchers in the side (remember Symonds' drop in Sydney?). It's a question of balance. Hussey, Ponting and Rogers would be as good if not better options in the slips but both Clarke and Symonds are clearly the best cover/point fielders in the side.
Yeah, I'm not saying they should neccessarily be in the slips. I just don't like the "they shouldn't be there because they're better elsewhere" reasoning. I have no problem with "they shouldn't be there because Rogers and Hussey are better slippers".