• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Yes and he should've taken the wicket of Symonds but I still think Pathan should be given a go. Australia have retained the Border-Gavaskar trophy, India might as well give Pathan a game before the ODI's start.

pup11

International Coach
Indeed, but did you watch the game?
Obviously he didn't, Sharma didn't bowl too badly in the 2nd test and he should play in Perth, Pathan can replace Yuvraj because i am sure Pathan is more than likely to score more runs compared to Yuvraj atm!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Despite Jaffer having just scored 92 and possibly worked himself back into form?
Means little in the overall scheme of things. Scored a Test double ton against a far stronger bowling attack only a few Tests ago. He didn't exactly smack the Inv XI around.

Still, I think he should be persisted with. Picking Sehwag would be a huge mistake. I know everyone is hoping he'll come out and spank a run-a-ball ton for old times sake but he's just so out of the loop in terms of form, it's pretty damn unlikely. The Aussies will quickly work him out because lesser bowling attacks have been doing that for a while now.

pasag

RTDAS
I'd persist with Jaffer and go back to the same batting lineup as in England, dropping Yuvraj and letting Dravid go down the order.

Wrt to Tait and Hogg, it's a tricky one. I'm more than happy to not give any opinion and criticise after :p. Fwiw, spinners didn't do to badly there last year (iirc) and we know Warne's (also iirc) adage - If it's good for pace, it's good for spin, so who knows. I'm not too fussed either way. Alot of rumours about the pitch but no idea what that's going to be like at this stage also. Hoping to hell it'll be a fast wicket though.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Means little in the overall scheme of things. Scored a Test double ton against a far stronger bowling attack only a few Tests ago. He didn't exactly smack the Inv XI around.

Still, I think he should be persisted with. Picking Sehwag would be a huge mistake. I know everyone is hoping he'll come out and spank a run-a-ball ton for old times sake but he's just so out of the loop in terms of form, it's pretty damn unlikely. The Aussies will quickly work him out because lesser bowling attacks have been doing that for a while now.
Yeah, but it'd be a pretty tough call to drop a batsman who just scored 92, while the other options are in pretty poor form too. In regards to picking Sehwag, I actually feel that he's more likely to go out and smash it around in the form he's in, because he'll just be throwing his bat at everything he can. I can see Johnson getting hit for quite a few, bowling as wide as he does, while it wouldn't surprise me if Lee lost his line and length if Sehwag went after him. 'Course, it's all hypothetical, but it would certainly be interesting.

Top_Cat

In regards to picking Sehwag, I actually feel that he's more likely to go out and smash it around in the form he's in, because he'll just be throwing his bat at everything he can. I can see Johnson getting hit for quite a few, bowling as wide as he does, while it wouldn't surprise me if Lee lost his line and length if Sehwag went after him. 'Course, it's all hypothetical, but it would certainly be interesting.
He might get away with a few over slips or even time one but the guy is woefully short of match practice and fitness. I doubt he'd be swinging at all because that's a confidence issue and his wouldn't be very high right now. Didn't exactly get stuck into the ACT XI either. I don't care how talented you are, just slogging because your're in a rut when playing a Test match will get you out quickly, especially on a bouncing track. There's no way they'll pick him and if they did, it would smack of desperation. His prior record against Australia is essentially meaningless at the moment.

Plus, it's hardly fair to Jaffer and sends to wrong message to the team. Just by picking Sehwag in the squad, they ran the risk of saying to the team that whether they perform or not is immaterial and you can be picked or dropped on a whim. Picking him in the Test side would be disastrous for team morale unless he smacks ACT XI for a run-a-ball triple.

Last edited:

Perm

He might get away with a few over slips or even time one but the guy is woefully short of match practice and fitness. I doubt he'd be swinging at all because that's a confidence issue and his wouldn't be very high right now. Didn't exactly get stuck into the ACT XI either. I don't care how talented you are, just slogging because your're in a rut when playing a Test match will get you out quickly, especially on a bouncing track. There's no way they'll pick him and if they did, it would smack of desperation. His prior record against Australia is essentially meaningless at the moment.
Hmm, it all depends on what attitude Sehwag brought into the Test. If he was trying to bat properly and build form that way, he wouldn't last. If he thought "Bugger this, I'm going for it" and played with some freedom, then it'd be interesting, IMO. Best way to get back in form is to feel the ball come out of the middle.

Top_Cat

Hmm, it all depends on what attitude Sehwag brought into the Test. If he was trying to bat properly and build form that way, he wouldn't last. If he thought "Bugger this, I'm going for it" and played with some freedom, then it'd be interesting, IMO. Best way to get back in form is to feel the ball come out of the middle.
Of course. Not in a Test match, though. To be picked in any Test side, you should be amongst the form players in your team. Sehwag shouldn't have even made the squad on form. Even if they haven't said it, I bet every batsman in the Indian squad has thought it.

pasag

RTDAS
Of course. Not in a Test match, though. To be picked in any Test side, you should be amongst the form players in your team. Sehwag shouldn't have even made the squad on form. Even if they haven't said it, I bet every batsman in the Indian squad has thought it.
Yeah, wasn't following things closely in the lead up to the series but I can't think of any proper reason Sehwag was selected ahead of say, a name brought up on here frequently in the past, Chopra who has apparently been gunning it domestically. Perplexifying.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, wasn't following things closely in the lead up to the series but I can't think of any proper reason Sehwag was selected ahead of say, a name brought up on here frequently in the past, Chopra who has apparently been gunning it domestically. Perplexifying.
It was a whim or a gut feeling, at best... There was really no plausible, logical reason for his inclusion in the squad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes and he should've taken the wicket of Symonds but I still think Pathan should be given a go. Australia have retained the Border-Gavaskar trophy, India might as well give Pathan a game before the ODI's start.
Nah, selecting someone in the test team to give them match practice ahead of an ODI series would pretty much make me walk away from the game altogether, so I'm against that option.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be interesting if the 'Catching agreement' is being abandoned as of the Second Test and how brave the Umpires will be, in not referring to 3rd Umpire in the next 2 Tests...

I am all for the greater use of technology and fortunately despite everything else that was bad about the Sydney Test, that might be the only positive thing to come out and the 3rd Test hopefully will be the first to use more technology (that was available and so far not used as much as it should have been,IMO ).

Perm

Not saying I'd condone Sehwag's possible inclusion, but I do think he'd go alright if he was in the side for the 3rd Test. The choice game down to Gambhir, Chopra and Sehwag. Gambhir would have been murdered and the selectors don't particularly like Chopra, so they decided to give Sehwag a chance, having had a pretty good career behind him. It appears they were backing him to come good, but yeah...

Perm

Gambhir too, both were making huge runs for their domestic side.