• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Can't be bothered going back to search for the direct quote, honestbharani, but it isn't simply Tendulkar's word versus Ponting's. It was three of them testifying to have heard the comment, from memory.

Agree with the poster whom said that a fine may have been the better option, although would this have been possible? It may be (not sure) that the minimum penalty might have been matches?

Also, I thought it was Chris Broad who made that comment about treating Australians and subcontinent teams differently with regards to sledging, but that is just from memory. May well be wrong. :)
yeah, it is but again, Sachin seemed closest to what was said compared to the others... And from what I read first, they had Ponting, Gilchrist, their coach, manager and Symonds and Rajput, Sridhar, Sachin, Kumble and Harbhajan in the hearing... Given that the coach and managers won't really know what actually happened, and neither would Kumble, it is simply a matter of Sachin's word vs Ponting and Gilchrist. How can Procter be sure that their version is right when the Indians seem adamant that their version is right too? Too many questions and too much doubt to take such a big decision on, IMO...

And I am almost 100% sure that it was Procter who said it. Will try to google it out...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
it seems to, in most people's books though...

This is again a question of semantics, though. If, in your view, sledging is just the plain old banter and not personal abuse, then it is fair enough. I agree with that. :)
Sorry, probably put it the wrong way. Sledging doesn't equal personal abuse.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
yeah, it is but again, Sachin seemed closest to what was said compared to the others... And from what I read first, they had Ponting, Gilchrist, their coach, manager and Symonds and Rajput, Sridhar, Sachin, Kumble and Harbhajan in the hearing... Given that the coach and managers won't really know what actually happened, and neither would Kumble, it is simply a matter of Sachin's word vs Ponting and Gilchrist. How can Procter be sure that their version is right when the Indians seem adamant that their version is right too? Too many questions and too much doubt to take such a big decision on, IMO...

And I am almost 100% sure that it was Procter who said it. Will try to google it out...
Wasn't Hayden involved in the hearing as well?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wasn't Hayden involved in the hearing as well?
not really sure.. The reports I had read upto that point when I made the post seemed to indicate that he wasn't but now reading some of the reports of this incident from other sources, it seems he was involved as well... really not sure...

Laurrz

International Debutant
Stuart Clark may have been involved too

fact is we dont know what went in there so yea... whatever was said, who knows they could've really showed up Harbhajan

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought you were a journalist!? How do you like Primary School teaching? Was thinking of doing my dip ed this year.
Journalism degree, but never worked professionally as a journalist. Teaching is great if you can get a full time job, if you can't it's a big struggle trying to survive.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Journalism degree, but never worked professionally as a journalist. Teaching is great if you can get a full time job, if you can't it's a big struggle trying to survive.
Wouldn't a skills shortage make finding work simpler? I always thought the job climate surrounding primary education would welcome people with open arms.

I speak, of course, as one a safe distance from the coalface. :)

Johnners

In regards to sledging, after reading some of the posts in this thread, the racism thread, and the sledging thread, it seems to me that some people think that the only words exchanged between teams on the field are "****, ****, ****, *******, ****ing, ****er" and a few others I've probably forgotten. I must say, it is ITSTL

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I am not sure what the EXACT definition of racism is and I don't want to get into a semantics battle again...

For me, racism meant the sort practiced in America and other parts of the world, when darker skinned people were kept out of society and were treated in unbelievably inhuman ways in preference to lighter skinned people... Such stuff never happened in India. In fact, even though there is a general preference for fair skin, esp. when it comes to defining a girl's beauty, there have been more than enough instances of people thinking that darker complexion is just as, if not more, beautiful than a fairer complexion. Two diff. situations, methinks...
Racism is when you prefer one person over another on the basis of a trait shared by, in this case, race and here it's skin colour.

Last edited:

social

According to this report, Ponting and Gilchrist heard nothing

http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/329742.html

Seems they were there simply to represent the player in an official capacity

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Potentially a Tait, Lee, Johnson, Clark bowling attack for Perth.

India will either be 9-50 after 15 overs or 2 for 175 after 20, with Clark taking 2-25.

Mister Wright

Wouldn't a skills shortage make finding work simpler? I always thought the job climate surrounding primary education would welcome people with open arms.

I speak, of course, as one a safe distance from the coalface. :)
Don't want to take this thread too far off topic, so if you'd like my answer...contact me on msn.

haroon510

International 12th Man
during all this choas one thing is certain that icc is Bcci's bitch.. the reason why i say that is not long ago when the oval fiscal happend.. the way ICC acted and how late they acted clearly showed that Icc doesn't care much about pakistan team or pakistan cricket.. this also showed the weakness of pakistan cricket board..

it hasn't been long since the end of the test match.. Icc changed umpire Buckner.. this might be the first time ever in the history of cricket that such an action was taken... this happened in such a short note that clearly proves my point..

Slow Love™

International Captain
What seals the deal for me was their (Speed's/the ICC) insistence the day before that Bucknor would be standing in Perth. If they'd immediately announced of their own volition that Bucknor was being stood down, it would have been better, but the fact that their stance was clearly the opposite and they then reversed it completely within hours obviously implies maybe an ultimatum or two were delivered, and they reacted to that.

Anyhow, for people wanting to keep up with ongoing details...

Symonds Tried to Settle Monkey Row

Those T shirts being sold in India are fairly offputting, I have to say.