• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

pup11

International Coach
Ponting's captaincy was brilliant.

Clarke proved to be a masterstroke and the declaration was timed perfectly.
Apparently Clarke was the one who asked for the ball from Ponting, Clarke said in his interview that he was asking for bowl through out the day but Ponting kept refusing, but with 4 overs left Ponting didn't see anything wrong in giving him the ball.

jeevan

International 12th Man
and im saying that mistakes have always been made, and not just in cricket, in all areas of sport. I dont think its as scandalus and some of the people here are trying to make it out to be. Get over it. From my point of view it wasn't woefully sub-standard.
Most of us are talking about something that happened for the past 5 days on the third rock from the Sun, in the second test match in a game called cricket played between two countries called Australia and India. Played in a city called Sydney.

What event in what world are you talking about? Clearly something different from the above, in which the refereeing, called umpiring in this curious game, was clearly atrocious.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I thought you were talking about the first innings decisions. If you were talking about the decisions in the Aus second innings (Hussey?) then yeah a draw would have been the most probable result.
Yeh, I am talking about the 2nd innings. Counting the 1st innings, well, that would put the game up in the air, if not more in favour of India.

Evermind

International Debutant
Kumble on the radio

Asked what cost India this Test?

"I think everyone knows, I will not say"
I think he was too kind to mention the names of Yuvraj and Jaffer.

The umpiring errors were atrocious, but surely the other batsmen could've hung around for barely two sessions?

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
India were badly robbed. Probably of victory and definately a draw. Absolutely horrible decisions against them. Symonds nick, Dravids dismissal and Gangualys bouncer not even reffered to the 3rd umpire when there was no way possible the umpires could have been sure it carried. And whats worst is that the two cheaters, clarke and symonds both played the main parts in beating India and are now heros. Really disgusting. And im Australian.

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Andrew Symonds turned in disgust and threw darts with his eyes at Steve Bucknor. Mahendra Singh Dhoni had not played a shot to Symonds' offspin and the bowler was furious even though the ball was heading over the stumps. After the umpiring perks Symonds received during the match he had nothing to complain about.

On the last ball before tea it was Ricky Ponting who could not understand why Bucknor did not agree with a similar appeal against Rahul Dravid. Ponting crouched down and muttered as if nothing ever went his team's way. In this Test, from the moment Ponting's legside edge on day one went unnoticed by Mark Benson, almost everything did.
Well done Peter English.

Linkage

spoonz

Cricket Spectator
I have to wonder if I'm missing something. There were plenty of poor umpiring decisions - but they went both ways. Let's not forget:

- Ponting was given out LBW off a huge edge.
- Lee was given out LBW when clearly hit outside the line of off.
- In the Indian 1st innings Laxman was plumb LBW off Lee when 12.
- In the same innings Tendulkar was almost as plumb LBW of Clarke when 36. (Laxman's was hitting middle and leg about 2/3rds up, whereas Tendulkar's was only hitting leg about 80% up.)

How would India have gone if Tendulkar and Laxman hadn't received their two reprieves?

I'm not saying that the umpiring was good, or even that it didn't affect the match, but let's get some perspective here, it went both ways.

pup11

International Coach
Just heard BCCI vice-president Rajiv Shukla say that they are going to take every possible action to make sure the umpires are severely punished and the official status of this test of is taken away from it (can such a thing really happen)!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sure. I just think with that mindset India is going to lose. It's the wrong mindset. They were still in a position to win or at the least draw the game at the start of their 2nd innings. I reckon repeating the last 10-15 overs again, few teams would have ended up winning that game against India. But Australia won it and it was a performance needed because of that situation. It wasn't an outcome that came about because of earlier umpiring mistakes. Although, actually, it ultimately was, but the end it was India's failing and not the umpires for closing out the match to a draw.

I hope I am making sense. I am saying, even despite all that went against them, they still should have drawn and it was the Australians that made that last effort to win.
india did not have a realistic chance to knock off 333 runs in that timeframe on a fifth day wicket against the aussie attack so a draw was the only possibility for them at that point whatever mindset they adopt at that point...and then we lost dravid(blatantly wrong) and ganguly(doubtful) to controversial decisions in the 2nd innings...as far as the last 10-15 overs go, it's quite likely that india might have held out against most other teams, but the very fact that we were facing australia is why the decisions impacted us so badly and that's the whole point....the aussies are clearly a better team and india had to play their guts out to stay on a level footing, because of this, the umpiring mistakes were like the straw that broke the camel's back...

Last edited:

duffer

I have to wonder if I'm missing something. There were plenty of poor umpiring decisions - but they went both ways. Let's not forget:

- In the same innings Tendulkar was almost as plumb LBW of Clarke when 36. (Laxman's was hitting middle and leg about 2/3rds up, whereas Tendulkar's was only hitting leg about 80% up.)

How would India have gone if Tendulkar and Laxman hadn't received their two reprieves?

I'm not saying that the umpiring was good, or even that it didn't affect the match, but let's get some perspective here, it went both ways.
Most of the decision that went against Australia had a reasonable amount of doubt attatched. The ones which went against India were on the whole howlers. You've been ridiculously selective with your examples as well.

duffer

Just heard BCCI vice-president Rajiv Shukla say that they are going to take every possible action to make sure the umpires are severely punished and the official status of this test of is taken away from it (can such a thing really happen)!
Where does he say this?

Andrew Pollock

School Boy/Girl Captain

Rose colored glasses??

sideshowtim

Banned
Hahahaha @ the status of the Test being removed. What a joke. That's taking it too far and is complete sour grapes.

spoonz

Cricket Spectator
Most of the decision that went against Australia had a reasonable amount of doubt attatched. The ones which went against India were on the whole howlers. You've been ridiculously selective with your examples as well.
I was asking for acknowledgement that there were poor decisions both ways. That was obviously too much to ask.