• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
We've just returned from the SCG. An absolutely wonderful test match. We'll remember the last over for a very, very long time. Great cricket, great atmosphere. We cheered the Aussies off the field for a well deserved and well earned victory.

With Perth coming up and the Aussie quicks in full flight, it looks like it will be 3- 0 fairly soon.

Anyway a great match by two great teams !!!

pup11

International Coach
The standard of umpiring was pathetic in this game we all know that by now, but lets hope lessons are learned from this test and umpires are provided with better aides (technological aides) to make correct decisions.
I think introduction of the referral law is also important even if that means umpire's authority being challenged, because all i care about is the correct decision being made.
The ICC needs to make sure they have larger group of umpires to choose from, so we don't have the same individuals standing in every second game.
I hope some steps are taken to ensure that the standard of umpiring in general, improves in the near future, then having a diabolical test like this would be worth it.

pup11

International Coach
The standard of umpiring was pathetic in this game we all know that by now, but lets hope lessons are learned from this test and umpires are provided with better aides (technological aides) to make correct decisions.
I think introduction of the referral law is also important even if that means umpire's authority being challenged, because all i care about is the correct decision being made.
The ICC needs to make sure they have larger group of umpires to choose from, so we don't have the same individuals standing in every second game.
I hope some steps are taken to ensure that the standard of umpiring in general, improves in the near future, then having a diabolical test like this would be worth it.

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
I agree. The ICC needs to act fairly quickly. However, in the short term I am sure that the umpires in the coming months across the world have been already appointed. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Well, for all of the negativity surrounding this match, let's do something completely out of left field and look at some of the positive things:

The Pitch

The curator deserves a huge pat on the back for his work preceding this match. It really was a top drawer deck, with the ball moving around for the quicks on the first morning, then flattening out over days two and three, and taking turn and starting to crumble towards the end of the match. Pretty much the ideal timeline for a test wicket.

The outfield was good as well- well grassed, but offering good value for shots. All in all, a very good advertisement for the SCG.

The Quicks

RP Singh's first spell was really first rate left-arm swing bowling. He had the measure of all of the Australian left-handed top order, and his control and movement was an absolute delight. Couple this with the fact that he is only a few games into his career, and was thrust into the role of leading the attack. He is definitely a real find for the Indians.

On the other side, the continuing rise of Brett Lee as a great bowler is also special. The retirement of McGrath seems to have triggered something in him. It took him a while, but he is finally delivering in a way that only a couple of years ago looked unlikely.

Stuart Clark deserves a mention, too- he didn't take a bag, but he definitely took a couple of vital wickets on the fifth day. A fine display of controlled, stump-to-stump bowling.

The Rearguards

The fortitude that was shown by both teams' tails was great to see. First Hogg, Lee and co for Australia, and then Harbhajan, RP Singh and co for India, all gave their teams a first innings total that would have looked impossible at one stage.

Class Innings

Tendulkar. Hayden. Hussey. Ganguly. Laxman. All world class batsmen, and all showed why during the course of this test. Symonds, while definitely benefiting from his share of luck, batted with the tail to rescue Australia from a first day collapse, and gave justification to his supporters and his detractors in equal measure.

The Finish

Looked at in isolation, the climax of this match was incredible. Five days of combat decided in the final, climatic fifteen minutes, with a part-timer taking three wickets in an over to overcome yet another dogged rearguard was a finish worthy of a great match.

Looked at in isolation, that is...

Kumble's Resistance

A magnificent captain's dig in the second innings. The fact that he faced more deliveries than any of the vaunted Indian top order is a fine lesson in application and dedication to the cause.

Could This be the Flashpoint?

With the discussion of the poor decisions made during this match, maybe this will be the catalyst that pushes the ICC to develop a way that takes advantage of the available technology to improve decision making, without unduly delaying the flow of the game.

I have my reservations personally, but if ever an incident is going to push the ICC to properly study this, it is a string of bad decisions in a match involving the best team and the richest.

Maybe the first change could be the replacement of the standard cameras at square leg with the high speed ones. That would certainly end the regular frustration of the wicket being broken (or the foot being grounded) between frames, leading to uncertainty.

There ya go- seven good things to take from the match as a cricket fan. Complain about the bad if you must, but acknowledge that the match wasn't entirely worthless.

Now back to the usual...

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
January 5, 2008- Bracken finds out that Mrs Bracken is expecting our first little Bracken. Bracken is very happy. Bracken is then told that he will have to give up the ciggies post haste. Much less happy.
-truncated for clarity-

A good summing up of the match, and congrats. Exactly same thing happened to me four (uh, closer to five) years ago (as in, having to give up the ciggies on hearing the good news). Happy about it now, though. :)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its amazing how there can be so much good cricket in a match from both sides and still at the end of it you feel sad. Its not because India lost but because how the match was ruined by atrocious umpiring.

About to watch the highlights now, be interesting if these umpiring decisions are as bad as CW posters suggest

Craig

World Traveller
-truncated for clarity-

A good summing up of the match, and congrats. Exactly same thing happened to me [strikethrough]four[/strikethrough] (uh, closer to five) years ago (as in, having to give up the ciggies on hearing the good news). Happy about it now, though. :)
Welcome back :)

Wow what a finish, to bowl India out in that time frame, but serious questions have to be asked of Jaffer and Yuvraj about the lack of effort from them. Still it has been an exciting Test match and at least it was competitive. I don't see the point in moaning so much about the decisions, they were made and it happened in the past and nothing can change it. And I'm not Australian either. As much as I hate poor umpiring, once a player is out, they are out. It is the onus of the opposition to go out and create chances and I think Kumble was definatly negative in his field placings.

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, congrats Andy.

Slow Love (great to have you back said:
Another is the time factor (particularly when it comes to LBW decisions).
I think if the ICC clamped down on slow over rates which, imo, is one of the biggest blights on the game, we'd certainly have time for this. Also if they're prepared to spend time for something as relatively insignificant as referring to the third umpire to see if the ball touched the boundary or not, then for something much more important like an LBW, there certainly shouldn't be a problem.

Symonds calling Clarke lucky literally made me punch the wall. Just thought I'd mention it.
Haha yeah, loled as soon as he said that and thought you'd be on top of a building somewhere just about ready to jump.

Last edited:

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Slow Love™;1440156 said:
-truncated for clarity-

A good summing up of the match, and congrats. Exactly same thing happened to me four (uh, closer to five) years ago (as in, having to give up the ciggies on hearing the good news). Happy about it now, though. :)
Haha, congrats Andy.
Much obliged. Definitely a small price to pay.

Laurrz

International Debutant
on the radio a few guys have come to a pretty fair conclusion

all the poor umpiring decisions were simply karma for the way the indian players and fans have treated symo

pretty fair assesment ;)

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

all the poor umpiring decisions were simply karma for the way the indian players and fans have treated symo

pretty fair assesment ;)
Haha, or not.

Evermind

International Debutant

pretty fair assesment ;)
Can't wait for karma to get back to the Aussies for their poor sportsmanship and puerile sledging for decades, then. :laugh:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Can't wait for karma to get back to the Aussies for their poor sportsmanship and puerile sledging for decades, then. :laugh:
for that to happen they would have to be made to walk naked on donkey's whith stones being pelted at them.:laugh:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I would be really surprised if bucknor is not removed from the elite panel after this.
In India the media is absolutely bashing the aussies and there was a special show how the aussies target umpires and how they whinge if umpiring decisions go against them.

Indian board has just confirmed that either these umpires go or the team will not play.