• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I thought the Lee ball to Jaffer was inconclusive - there was no way to tell whether any part of the foot was or wasn't behind the line. It definitely isn't a black-and-white case like the caught behind.
It was pretty conclusive according to me from what I saw. You can argue that I didn't have the view of the umpire but I didn't see any part of the foot behind the line and you have to have part of the foot behind the line for a ball to be legitimate. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

JBH001

International Regular
How is one side completly dominating a contest?

Why don't the people saying "all we really want is a contest" just plain come out and say it: "We want to see Australia lose, badly!".

No, I think you misunderstand.

What people want is a fair contest within the bounds of the fact that the respective cricketers decisions and actions on the field dictate the course of the match and the series - not that of umpires missing complete howlers time and time again.

And if within the bounds of this match that turned into an absolute (and deserved) hiding of the Australians so be it. It would only make the next test, and the series as a whole, all the more juicy.

That said, I do think the umpiring has not been as bad as it may appear to have been (just on reading some of the comment on the thread) and "what if?" is an endless game, but I do understand the frustration and anger on the part of the Indian supporters here (at least the good posters). Completely understandable, imo.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
We can't ensure anything, the third umpire decision with the stumping proved that. A third umpire gives someone not out and the arguments continue.
The whole world knew Symonds was out except Bucknor.

If technology can't confirm a decision, then the match referee/third umpire won't overrule the umpire. But if the umpire makes an obvious error, a little word in the umpire's ear is all that is needed.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
So let us find out, by ensuring the correct decisions are made. Isn't that simply logical?
The umpires are only human. Maybe they're living a less-quality life in terms of hearing and sight but nonetheless, they're only human. Sometimes mistakes like this (as accidental as they may be) may turn a one-sided affair into a contest. I would love to say India would be dominating this match if Symonds wasn't dismissed earlier, but I can't because no-one knows - it's physically possible that someone like Stuart Clark could make 100 not out for example, but hey as I said - no-one knows.

Right now I would say that Australia has the slight upper-hand in this match, but Mike Hussey hasn't been all too flashy, as much as it hurts me to say this :laugh: , so anything could happen.

JBH001

International Regular
Hmmm, play under way I see on cricinfo. All good.

I hope tomorrow is not a sunny day in Aucks, then I can justify staying in and watching the 5th day.

Evermind

International Debutant
Btw, Evermind, always wondered, what's your background and which team do you support? That's if you don't mind me asking. Not that there should be anything there to mind.
I'm Indian by ethnicity, but haven't lived there since I was in primary school.

I don't support any particular team - usually the team playing against Australia (:ph34r: ) and Pakistan. I also like the NZ and the SA teams and dislike most players in the Pakistani team because they're so frequently dishonest and corrupt. I think that kinda stuff along with racism has no place in sport.

sideshowtim

Banned
Judging by Kumble's field placings, I'd say India are waiting for Australia to declare. They don't believe they can take all of Australia's wickets so are just trying to minimise runs before a possible declaration.

LJMJ

U19 12th Man
Judging by Kumble's field placings, I'd say India are waiting for Australia to declare. They don't believe they can take all of Australia's wickets so are just trying to minimise runs before a possible declaration.
There's no real reason to believe wickets are gonna go down either with an attacking field. This pitch is still a batting beauty and while India has bowled fairly well today, they've had no luck. Now these 2 batsmen are set and are looking to pick it up. Might as well start thinking abt containment. Right decision by Kumble to spread the field.