• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doesn't look likely for rain tomorrow, but it does for Monday.
Screw Monday, I'll be lifting carcasses :p

I doubt the game is going to last that long anyway, and it wouldn't surprise me if things get wrapped up tomorrow.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Pretty good day of test cricket for mine. hardly a spectacle, with NZ like 7th in the world and Bangladesh last, but the standard of cricket was good IMO. Only a couple of dropped catches (and they weren't from sloppy fielding, but genuinely hard chances) and 1 genuine misfield.

Bangladesh benefited from some pretty ordinary bowling early on, some of their shots were really sweetly timed and looked great. Martin managed to bowl excellent deliveries in amongst some poor ones which is why he dismissed the top four and why Mills had nothing from his first spell. O'Diren bowled 3 good deliveries and 39 incredibly poor ones. I like Bangladesh but if you can't take wickets against them, there is something seriously wrong with you. The worst part of the day was reading that mason was 12th man on the big screen and that O'Brien was playing. Especially after walking past Mason bowling in the nets before the match and he looked damn good.

Tamim Iqbal batted superbly until he got a short ball that he didn't know what to do with. Bashar was streaky, trying to hook and yet getting some sixes in there (mainly due to luck).
Shariar Nafees looked good to but then he tried to sweep Vettori and got bowled, it truly was the dumbest shot of the day.
Everyone in the crowd felt sorry for Ashraful getting a golden duck. I don't think he was expecting the ball he got. If truth be told, I think a lot of people were looking forward to watching him bat.
Mortaza was entertaining for the most part. A couple of good shots and a couple of agricultural ones.

Oram bowled as he always does - didn't look very threatening but he certainly bowled some top deliveries in there to bowl out two batsmen. Mills looked pretty good in his second spell as well.

The pitch wasn't really doing much. I couldn't see very well from where I was sitting but it didn't look like there was much movement, but there was a bit of bounce.

Ultimately, 90% of the wickets weren't bad shot selections or down to the nature of the pitch, they were really good deliveries by the bowlers.

Hossain bowled okay. The one he Fulton with was just a little faster than he expected and got him nicely. Other than that he wasn't really threatening but bowled with good pace.

I was impressed by Sajidul even though he wasn't very fast. In his first spell he kept a good line and length and was rewarded with some wickets.
Mortaza bowled pretty much the same as Hossain, while Enamul was waaaay to full most of the time.

I think Cumming was unlucky - like Fulton I don't think he was expecting it. Don't know if he'll get another chance to bat in this test but if he gets dropped I'll be pissed because he will be good for us.

Fulton, Fleming and Sinclair all looked in great touch. Some of the fours they hit were beautiful. Fulton and Fleming were out to good balls and Sinclair was a little unlucky; thought it was going down legside myself.

Matthew Bell was a real nice surprise today. He looked extremely solid at the crease, he gave no chances (though there were a couple of LBW shouts) and his footwork was good (in other words, it wasn't sluggish) and timed it well. Was a chanceless innings.

Oram batted pretty good too.

All in all, a good day. Except for a really annoying woman behind us who talked non-stop and kept name dropping like "so Harry was bowling and blah blah blah" (in reference to Chris Harris).

Jennifer tagged along and she really enjoyed the day. She really enjoyed some of the shots displayed today, and the sneaky singles.

NZTailender

Can anyone watching this tell me what Bell's footwork is like? I've been doing a bit of research about him through the week and it seemed to be his main weakness during his first stint in tests, so it'd be good news if he had fixed that up.
It was good. He didn't stand still and he didn't overwork his feet either. Thought it was very smooth.

NZTailender

Also have to question the Bangladeshi selectors. Shariar at 5? No Saleh? I was a bit impressed by Siddique's technique in the ODI's (even if he didn't score many runs) but didn't think it was enough to get him a test spot. Shariar should've opened with Saleh at 5 - it's as simple as that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Also have to question the Bangladeshi selectors. Shariar at 5? No Saleh? I was a bit impressed by Siddique's technique in the ODI's (even if he didn't score many runs) but didn't think it was enough to get him a test spot. Shariar should've opened with Saleh at 5 - it's as simple as that.
I actually think Saleh should bat at 3 or 4.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm pleasantly surprised to find that not one person as of yet has jumped down the NZ top order's throats. Especially after the fun in SA.

I think Cumming will need a big score next innings or at the very least next test as he has Jamie How breathing down his neck. Great to see a kiwi opener passing 50.

Dissapointed with the middle orders dismissals, all looked in great touch and I expect all to get hundreds in this series. I would swap Fleming and Sinclair around though because Fleming>>>>>Sinclair at playing spin and Sinclair>>>Fleming at playing against swing and seam movement. Also furious to see O'Brien in there. Mason>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>O'Brien.

NZTailender

Some photos from today. I apologize that they aren't better pics, the camera I was using only had a 3x zoom and 5 megapixels. I have bigger resolution pics if anyone wants any in particular. If you do, I can provide them...

Attachments

NZTailender

The crowd was pretty good today - the terraces were pretty much packed and the stands where we were sitting were nearly full.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Some photos from today. I apologize that they aren't better pics, the camera I was using only had a 3x zoom and 5 megapixels. I have bigger resolution pics if anyone wants any in particular. If you do, I can provide them...
Nice photos :)

If you wouldn't mind, would be be able to put them up on the Photos section of Cricket Web? If so, would you mind emailing all the hi-res photos to james.nixon@cricketweb.net ?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good stuff with the pics Geg (Y), will be looking at getting a few tomorrow.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Saw the highlights earlier during the lunch break of the South Africa Test, without having seen the score beforehand. I was actually thinking we were going to end up with a decent 230+ total (which on that pitch might have been quite competitive) when Tamim and Habibul were going, then came the inevitable. What Shahriar Nafees was doing I don't know (Nafees Iqbal anybody?) and Aftab - well, that was inevitable, laughed so much when the caption as he walked off said he'd spent 25 balls or so trying to get off the mark. One again it was more of a mental issue than a technical issue.

On the plus side, Tamim's strokeplay, particularly of his legs and down the ground was sublime and both Mashrafe and Sajidul posed problems later on. Sajidul may have been a bit wayward, but he's got a bit about him - movement, touch of pace (well, in comparison).

Hopefully we can bowl NZ out tomorrow for sub-300, then see if we can make a better effort of it next time around. Not too despondent here.

Days of Grace

International Captain
What really harmed Bangladesh was Ashrafel getting out for a duck. He's one batsman I wouldn't mind scoring a ton against us.