• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Beleg

International Regular
I have seen Yuvraj plays shots to balls that would have gotten most batsmen back into the dressing room. Hence, in my mind, it's definitely not a matter of an inability to counter good bowling.Yuvraj is an attacking batsman. To expect him to buckle down and grind out over after over is asking somthing which goes against his basic cricketing instinct.

Yuvraj's best knock's have all come in situations when he was on the counter-attack; i.e. he had a free lisence to score runs as freely and as quickly as he saw fit. There are batsmen who are able to pace their innings and change the rate of their scoring seemingly at will - Tendulkar and Inzamam are the two names which come to mind immediately - and then there are batsmen who have a set way of playing, and asking them to tamper with that only serves to anhiliate their confidence. IMO, India needs to take Yuvraj as he comes; a brilliant stroke player primarily focused on scoring runs, regardless of the condition.

Unfortunately for Yuvraj, it seems to me if he isn't quite sure himself whether he is expected to play his natural game or mould it to fit the team game plan. His innings in this game is a perfect example of the hestitation inherent in his current batting demeanour.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To Australian viewers, does anyone reckon that iSelect "puffin muffins, wrestling rhinos, boning marrow etc." chick is pretty good?

She's grown on me.

dansa

Cricket Spectator
Lee got Yuvi instead of Tendulkar

Stupid Yuvraj. Was gonna say he's going to make a 50. Good thing I didn't.

Lee missed Tendulkar off stump by an inch. Tendulkar wanted to stay safe and switch sides, Yuvraj has something else on his mind.

As I said earlier, AUZ with Pace can get faster results with Indian batsmen. Spin takes a little bit longer. Did not expect that Yuvraj would be the victim of Pace and bounce test by Lee.

Auz do need spinners in 15 man squad for spin practice.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Johnson has not looked the finished test product to me whenever I have watched him in tests. Tait is ahead of him right now, particularly with the way he was bowling in the recent ODI matches and how Johnson has been inconsistent with his line. Many of the shots Indians hit him for yesterday were balls down the leg side and you don't bowl to the Indians on the legs - it is suicide. Expect Tait to come into the next test. Problem is, it is Perth and Hogg doesn't seem likely to play the next test imo with the Perth bounce and Indians carting him a fair bit. So who will be the 4th bowler? Johnson or some one else?
would love Hogg to play..home ground

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Johnson has not looked the finished test product to me whenever I have watched him in tests. Tait is ahead of him right now, particularly with the way he was bowling in the recent ODI matches and how Johnson has been inconsistent with his line. Many of the shots Indians hit him for yesterday were balls down the leg side and you don't bowl to the Indians on the legs - it is suicide. Expect Tait to come into the next test. Problem is, it is Perth and Hogg doesn't seem likely to play the next test imo with the Perth bounce and Indians carting him a fair bit. So who will be the 4th bowler? Johnson or some one else?
Nah, Hogg will play IMO. Whether he'll do anything with the ball is debatable, but he'll play. Tait could well come in for Johnson, but even that still depends a lot on the second innings (and even the rest of this innings).

Agent TBY

International Captain
As I said earlier, AUZ with Pace can get faster results with Indian batsmen. Spin takes a little bit longer. Did not expect that Yuvraj would be the victim of Pace and bounce test by Lee.

Auz do need spinners in 15 man squad for spin practice.
No matter how much you ask for it, Australia can't change their line-up in the middle of a test. So please, stop being a broken record.

dansa

Cricket Spectator
Unfortunately for Yuvraj, it seems to me if he isn't quite sure himself whether he is expected to play his natural game or mould it to fit the team game plan.
Yuvraj does better when he is fully aggressive and has an counter attack. He is trying to slow himself down for test match and that could have him ejected from test matches because it works counter to his temperament.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Because he's done well in ODIs and in his more recent FC appearances? He had the best form and fitness of the three pacers competing for the third seamer spot in the test team. That is Johnson, Tait and Hilfenhaus.

He's bowled pretty well at times in test cricket this summer, but I'd say it's fairly obvious he has some things to work on still. He doesn't really justify a spot with the new ball right now IMO, though he's capable of bowling some unplayable deliveries. His old ball bowling can be very good at times. Bowled one of the best spells of the first test right at the end of the match.
Yeah, even though I argued against it strongly before the first test, I think giving Clark the new ball with Lee would be a good move in the second innings. Johnson hasn't really managed to swing the ball despite what reports said about his bowling in the last few Pura Cup seasons and Clark will obviously benefit from the harder seam the way he bowls. Johnson can still bowl a mean old ball spell too as you said.

Beleg

International Regular
Because he's done well in ODIs and in his more recent FC appearances? He had the best form and fitness of the three pacers competing for the third seamer spot in the test team. That is Johnson, Tait and Hilfenhaus.

He's bowled pretty well at times in test cricket this summer, but I'd say it's fairly obvious he has some things to work on still. He doesn't really justify a spot with the new ball right now IMO, though he's capable of bowling some unplayable deliveries. His old ball bowling can be very good at times. Bowled one of the best spells of the first test right at the end of the match.
I'll freely admit I haven't seen much of any of these three. However, watching Johnson today, I have been less than impressed. He seems to have little idea of setting batsmen up, forcing them to play and make mistake. Swing was non-existant and I couldn't discern any seam movement at all. Now it's unfair to judge him based on a spell alone but I don't see how he is Aussie's third best bowler - unless your bowling resources are severely depleted.

Laurrz

International Debutant
anyone watching cricket show atm? amazed about the cricket playing in India.. pretty cool

holy fkn ****...... Sreesanths fav cricketer = Symo (has a big pic of him and symo shaking hands on his wall)
fav team = Australia hahah

what a house he ha

Last edited:

dansa

Cricket Spectator
They are already saying the Shaun would have been better choice

No matter how much you ask for it, Australia can't change their line-up in the middle of a test. So please, stop being a broken record.
It is not me, check Channel 9.:unsure:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yuvraj does better when he is fully aggressive and has an counter attack. He is trying to slow himself down for test match and that could have him ejected from test matches because it works counter to his temperament.
If he can't bat in a proper test match tempo and tone down his aggression depending on the situation, then he shouldn't be in the test team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'll freely admit I haven't seen much of any of these three. However, watching Johnson today, I have been less than impressed. He seems to have little idea of setting batsmen up, forcing them to play and make mistake. Swing was non-existant and I couldn't discern any seam movement at all. Now it's unfair to judge him based on a spell alone but I don't see how he is Aussie's third best bowler - unless your bowling resources are severely depleted.
Obviously he bowled like he has in this test every time he played, he wouldn't be in the team. Stop jumping to conclusions.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Basically, I think Johnson is the best fit for Australia at the moment, because he has the ability to bowl in different manners, pull it back and be defensive if need be as well as trying to get wickets. His method of bowling suits the side more than the others, makes it a reasonably well rounded attack. Yes, he hasn't bowled as well as he could have, but if you don't persevere with him because of a bad innings or two, then you'll never see his full potential.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
would love Hogg to play..home ground
Nah, Hogg will play IMO. Whether he'll do anything with the ball is debatable, but he'll play. Tait could well come in for Johnson, but even that still depends a lot on the second innings (and even the rest of this innings).
I expect Australia to play four fast bowlers with Tait coming in place of Hogg in Perth.