• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

cbuts

International Debutant
I really cant beleive that how did not make it. Himself and McCullum have been the only 2 to consistantly put their hands up. Both have had a couple of failures, but you get that opening and also opening against Aussie.

Natman20

International Debutant
I really cant beleive that how did not make it. Himself and McCullum have been the only 2 to consistantly put their hands up. Both have had a couple of failures, but you get that opening and also opening against Aussie.
How should have probably been preffered over Cumming IMO. McCullum shouldn't open in tests though. It just wouldn't work.

Flem274*

123/5
Who cares what he 'could do' its what he did do that counts.

Richardson always stood up - and if i remember correctly he has the best average for a kiwi opener. Prob the hardest job in the world given some of our pitches in the passt 10 years
What he did do, along with Astle, was be our most consistent and best runscorer for the majority of his international career.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
How should have probably been preffered over Cumming IMO. McCullum shouldn't open in tests though. It just wouldn't work.
His average is fairly mediocre (27ish) but thats far better than How and Papps who average in the teens. Given time, Cumming could average in the 30's.

cbuts

International Debutant
What he did do, along with Astle, was be our most consistent and best runscorer for the majority of his international career.
Flem/Astle = consistancey???? what have you been smoking?

No doubt, they were potentially the best, but they failed so often.

I dont think it is a coincidence that our best test results since the 90's have came when we had Richardson at the top.

Flem274*

123/5
Flem/Astle = consistancey???? what have you been smoking?

No doubt, they were potentially the best, but they failed so often.

I dont think it is a coincidence that our best test results since the 90's have came when we had Richardson at the top.
Fleming and Astle were by far the most consistent and best batsmen we had in the 90's. If you question that then we seriously need to take a look at what you've been smoking.

Richardson barely played in the 90's, he played in this decade. Name some matches he won in the 90's please, I don't remember him featuring in the 1999 test series against England which was one of our greatest and few achievements in the 90's.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richardson didn't play a test in the 1990s. But to be fair to cbuts, he did say our best test results since the 1990s...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like I won't be making the 1st day of the Test, as I'm not sure how long my induction at work is going to take. Still looking good for the weekend though.

Anybody else noticed that the argument between Phlegm and cbuts has gone around in circles without either actually making any decent points to support their opinion?

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Bell and Cumming,,, must be at short odds to be the most boring opening partnership of all time.

cbuts

International Debutant
Richardson didn't play a test in the 1990s. But to be fair to cbuts, he did say our best test results since the 1990s...

yep was my point.

Flem and astle were prob our best bats in the late 90's and cert till rigor came along, prob the reason we were very average at thattime

Natman20

International Debutant
NZ Bowling first. O'Brien picked over Mason which I don't agree with. Lets see if he can have any impact at all this match.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
NZ Bowling first. O'Brien picked over Mason which I don't agree with. Lets see if he can have any impact at all this match.
Yes, I don't agree with that decision either.Although it is good to see that they have relieved Mason of his 12th man duties and allowed him to go back to Central.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Theory: Bangladesh bat Tes Innings like One day Innings, One Day Innings like T20 innings and T20 Innings...well they ge lucky sometimes.

Discuss

Perm

Finally Michael Mason looks like a semi-decent bowler. Accurate and touching 140kph on occassion, and now he isn't selected? **** sake.

I hope I see O'Brien tomorrow so I can give him hell.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Although suprisingly O'Brien hasn't bowled too badly in the morning session. Mills got a bit of stick early on and it will be interesting to see his response in the middle session.
So if O'Brien is bowling well today imagine how much damage Mason could have caused, or how effective he would have been.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good for Iqbal to have made a start on debut.

Is this the first ever test where O'Brien isn't the 22nd best cricketer?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is this the first ever test where O'Brien isn't the 22nd best cricketer?
Harsh on the Deshis, one feels. I still think O'Brien is the 22nd best cricketer. I guess he might be better than Sajidul Islam, but I've only seen Sajidul bowl once so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Perm

As somebody else said, nice to see Tamim Iqbal doing well. A FC average of over 40, admittedly in only a handful of games, is very good for Bangladesh.